Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mommajean_gw

Alcoa vinyl siding

mommajean
17 years ago

Is anyone familiar with Alcoa vinyl siding? Any postings appreciated. We were going to go with Hardiplank but due to high installation quotes are thinking of going another route but afraid of what the quality will look like. The whole house will be siding which is where our concern lies. Any advice or better yet photos appreciated! thank you

Comments (5)

• fusion866
    17 years ago

hi, I'm a siding contractor. alcoa/mastic is top of the line. you want a pannel with the "pro rated" warranty. Quest is the nicest in my opinion. how it is installed is a big part though, ask for a list of homes that the contractor has done you can look at. pay special attention to the metal work (window/door casings,facia trim). this is what really seperates the quality work from the others. hope this was helpful. mike

• bonelady
    17 years ago

I live in a townhome complex and we are in the process of residing all of the homes. About 1/2 have been done so far and my building was the first 3 years ago. Everything has been done with teh Alcoa vinyl. The siding looks wonderful.

• anitamacey
    17 years ago

fusion866

I'm building a new house in WY and am torn between vinyl siding and hardiplank. I do not like the seams in the vinyl no matter what they say about being able to make them diasppear. The hardiplank is the look I want but I don't want to have to repaint down the road unless it's 15 yaears down the road.
    What do you have to say about my dilemma?
    Any really long vinyl siding out there?

Does the vinyl hold up for 30 years?

Thanks
    ANita

• fusion866
    17 years ago

Your right you cant make the seams dissapear, the only thing you can do is try to keep them tight and face them away from the eye, like towards the back yard. But you'll still see them from out back. If you walk up and touch it the hardi of course will be more realistic. On the other hand I just saw a guy that we worked for 3 years ago, he ownes 2 homes, 1 with hadri and 1 has vinyl, he said the vinyl was the best thing he ever did cause he just rinses it off with the hose once in a while. I really dont know what to tell you its really personal prefrence. The vinyl is 12'6", you can get longer but it will expand and contract that much more, so theres a better chance of seeing a cut edge of the pannel where it fits into the trim pieces. Sorry this isnt really too helpful. good luck

• fusion866
    17 years ago

oh it should last a good 35-40 years. With the alcoa/mastic the warranty is lifetime for you or 50 yaers from the date it was installed if you sell the house. They cover material, dumping, labor. We are about to do one that was installed 21 years ago, the color faded really bad and they'll be covering everything except trim and soffit.