Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pattyjo_gw

Putting a narrow hem on a shirt

pattyjo
18 years ago

I posted to this forum last night and it never showed here, I don't know what happened to it. So maybe it went to the wrong place? Anything could've happened, I'm new here, found it through my navigator pal, Google. I've really enjoyed reading everybody's input on sewing. It's something I no longer do much of, now I just get out the machine when I have to and now is one of those times. Due to the fact I'm so short, most of my purchased shirts are too long. You know, the type of narrow hem that's on mens shirts where the sides are shorter than the front and back, call a shirttail hem, I think. Well, when I tried to do this hem on a shirt what a mess! Is there some trick to this that you could share with me? It either bunches up or it doesn't seem to have enough material to go around...I'm talking about the part on the sides that is more or less on the bias. We won't even get into the problem with sleeves that are too long, after all I can just roll them up. Thanks, ladies, for listening to me.

Comments (5)

• kathi_mdgd
    18 years ago

If you run a row of basting stitches about 1/4 " from the edge,then fold this up and iron.Then when you're ready to hem fold again and stitch.I don't iron on this second fold up,but you could if it makes it easier for you.I'm assuming you don't have a serger.HTH
    Kathi

• cherylnsw
    18 years ago

I like the basting stitch idea, I often do it myself. My advice is to pin up the hem first at the front edges, then the side seams and then the centre back, then pin in between. You will be able to see where any problems might lie - bunching etc, you can evenly distribute it along the hem. If there is a lot of excess, try using the basting stitch as a gathering stitch, pull the underthread and evenly gather so it sits flat - again evenly distribute gathering. Firmly press the hem, steam will help flatten and shrink those gathers for a flat finish.

If there isn't enough fabric to go around, you may need to unpick the sideseam and restitch the seam so it kicks out at the hemline - making the hem area slightly larger.

• stitchntime9
    18 years ago

I always launder before hemming RTW if I know the garment is made with shrinkable fabric (cotton, linen, knits). Sometimes you get lucky and the item will shrink in length. Sometimes you shorten, launder, end up with a too-short and learn to launder first and then shorten so you know what has to be shortened and not get a too-short.

I'm short like you so I know what you go through. Sometimes buying a petite size that is the right length saves a lot of grief.

As far as pinning, I've always pinned up at sides, center front, center back, and then eased the excess in. On some sheer items you can't machine stitch or you have a mess and it is wiser to hand hem. I always lightly press after each roll so I can see where there are puckers/gathers and fix them at the ironing board.

• becky_jean
    18 years ago

You can purchase a shirt tail hem foot for your machine. It rolls & stitches the fabric at the same time. Practice on another piece of fabric first until you get the hang of it. I have one of those feet for both of my machines & would never be without it now that I learned to use it! Also great for other hems like napkins, scarves, etc.

• webfoot88
    18 years ago

Well honestly if you are only doing this for the shirt take it to your dry cleaners and you will probably save money. That said... I agree with the advice given, but again if you aren't goint to ever use the tools/ strategies given here then pay the darn $15 to the seamstress at the drycleaner and be done already... headache solved.

Tanya