Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
janet400_gw

Removal of pin from door hinge

janet400
15 years ago

My husband is trying to remove a pin from the Ives Schlage(Artisan Series)door hinge. They are brand new and came pre-assembled. It has a pin "head" at the top with a pin hole at the bottom. It does not appear to unscrew. He tried using a nail at the bottom and hammering up. It will not move. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance. Janet

Comments (5)

• lucy
    15 years ago

Call (Google) the company and ask them before possibly damaging it.

• joed
    15 years ago

Could those hinges be security hinges where the pin can't be removed?

• janet400
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you joed and lucy. We are calling the company where we purchased the hinges to get their suggestions. Janet

• yorkydee
    12 years ago

HOW TO REMOVE SCHLAGE DOOR HINGE PINS: Heat the hinge with your hair dryer to loosen the goop inside the hinge. Use pliers to hold the hinge as it will get very hot. Once it's hot enough, insert a small screw driver into the pin hole. Bang the screwdriver and I promise the hinge will come out. It worked for me on all my Schlage hinge pins.

• PRO
    Kane Home Cabinetry and Design
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

I know this is an extremely old post but just today I was trying to get the pins out of a new hinge set. It was so impossible that I had to google it. I too have brand new Schlage hinges.

What I decided to do, that worked, was install the complete hinge set onto the door jamb, not attached to the door yet. This allowed me to get some purchase to whack the pin out. It took some whacking but out it did come. I am currently using Goof off to get the incredibly strong adhesive off of the hinges so they can come out easier next time.

For the bottom hinge that sits closer to the floor, with less bottom space to get some whack out of your hammer, I installed that one upside down and when the pin finally came out, I switched it around. Hope this helps future hinge installers!