Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brusso_gw

Best way to cut paneling for outlets?

brusso
18 years ago

What is the best way to mark cutouts for electric outlets when installing paneling. I just finished putting some wainsscotting in a kitchen but had a tough time measuring for 7 areas that had switches, outlets or phone jacks. I ruined several pieces and it took me all day. If there were no outlets , I could have finished this project in several hours. I need to know because I have another room to do!!

thanks

Comments (6)

• talley_sue_nyc
    18 years ago

My FIL uses "ladies lipstick" for that technique.

Not sure what OTHER kind of lipstick there is, but that's what he said.

• drywall_diy_guy
    18 years ago

If you don't want to be handling lipstick (in case your buddies drop by), you can use ketchup. Dab some on the outlet, press the piece up to it and it leaves a nice imprint on your piece. Then carefully blot off the ketchup from your outlet or use a well wrung out cloth or dry cloth to clean the outlet up (or shut off the power). I used this method for drywall and the paper backing really picks up the ketchup nicely - I don't know if it will work quite as nicely for your paneling.

• MongoCT
    18 years ago

I install a lot if raised panel wainscotting.

I first put blue painters tape on the floor under the outlet.

Then I take a framing square and put it on the floor, slide it against the wall and over until it touches one side of the outet box. I transfer that line to the tape. I repeat for the other side of the box. I then measure off the floor to the bottom and top of the box and write those numbers on the tape.

I repeat for the remainder of the boxes.

I place te wainscottig or panels or whatever against the wall in its future position, then reset the framing square and on the blue tape and transfer the left and right side lines onto the wainscotting. I then measure up to mark the top and bottom of the box.

Drill a hole and use a jigasaw to cut to the line.

It took me longer to write it than it does for me to do it.

It's always spot-on accurate and is the method I graduated to after doing the lipstick transfer method, etc.

• JRRR
    18 years ago

Use a rotary cut out tool. Put the panel in place, plunge the bit into the box, and cut out the hole. A guide on the tool follows the box edge. Make sure the wires are pushed to the back of the box.

• bus_driver
    18 years ago

For real plywood paneling, the best way to cut to avoid splinter tear-outs on the face is to cut from the back with a jig/saber saw. Measuring works if done carefully.