talley_sue_nyc

making a cone-shaped cap w/o a pattern

talley_sue_nyc
17 years ago

out of felt, so no stretch.

DS wants to be Link from "The Adventure of Zelda"

(scroll down to see him here)

or see him here

He wears a floppy cone-shaped cap that's really some bird-like creature.

I'm using some leftover green felt to make the tunic, and I want to use the same felt to make the cap (I figure I'll make the circumference about 1 inch bigger than his head, sew a casing, and put eleastic in it). But I DON'T want to buy yet another pattern.

Can I make this using three triangular-shaped pieces? Or should I use two? Or four?

I figure I can wing it on the head that's on the end.

Any ideas or recommendations?

Comments (7)

• phyllis__mn
    17 years ago

How about if you cut out a large circle, cut it through to the center, and then make your cone with it

• Jennifer123
    17 years ago

I don't have any ideas, I just wanted to tell you that my son wanted the same exact costume! I clicked on your post to get ideas because I wasn't sure about the hat for him and I started laughing when I read your DS wanted to be Link!

~Jennifer

• talley_sue_nyc
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I forot about the true cone, Phyllis--I make those for DD when she wants a witch's hat.

The only thing is, I might have trouble figuring out how bit to make the circle.

Plus, I end up w/ a fair bit of waste if I start w/ a full circle--I'm usu. better off w/ a partial circle.

I did make a pattern out of newspaper and sewed it together--three pieces is bad, bcs it's so stiff--it stands straight up. I tried one w/ two triangular pieces, and it seems OK. It's stiff as well bcs it's still newspaper, and DS, who is attending a Catholic school, says "I look like a bishop!" But I think once it's felt, it'll flop over pretty well, even in the felt.

if it doesn't, I'll put pipe cleaners inside, and bend it into the shape I want.

Jennifer, I'm trying to figure out how to do brown boots. One year I put tape over snowboots, but then didn't get the tape off soon enough, so the adhesive stuck to the boots. i don't want to go buy a pattern for shoe or boot covers--too much $. And it can take a while to figure out one.

• kathyg_in_mi
    17 years ago

Talley Sue,
    For the brown boots, just make spats to go over his regular shoes or boots. Very easy to make!

Kathy G in MI

• cmc_97
    17 years ago

You might be able to modify the jester hat in this Butterick pattern (link below) B4313.

Found a fee online pattern for Elf costume shoes, but it doesn't look like Link's shoes are very complicated:

http://sewing.about.com/library/weekly/aa120799a.htm?once=true&;

CMC

Here is a link that might be useful: Butterick B4313

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    17 years ago

I think it would be more appropriate to make a 2 piece pattern w/ a seam that runs front to back(as opposed to side to side) - you could simply divide the head circumference in 1/2 & use that as your base, then sketch the shape out & cut 2 pieces w/ 1/4"-1/2" seam allowance(if using 1/2", trim down to 1/4" after stitching) - perhaps adding an inch to turn under(or to the outside???) for a facing on the bottom.

No need to add ease, I'd imagine, since felt stretches.

You can try a it in tissue or other thin paper 1st to check for fit & adjustments.....

HTH

• costumecarol
    17 years ago

i just did a quick-n-dirty experiment with newspaper.

You'll need to adjust acording to how well your son can handle a tall hat, and how big his head is. I don't have kids, so I've nothing to compare.

If you put a thumbtack through the 19 inch point of your tape measure, and drew one quarter of a circle, you'd have a starting point to fashion the hat. At the point, you'll have a right angle to start, but you can overlap on the curved edge to fit your son's head. You can also make it shorter, if that suits the two of you.

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County