Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
smaloney_gw

Using CL for cabinets in a low budget remodel?

smaloney
13 years ago

I'm trying to revamp my small galley kitchen (7.5x12ft) that is open at both ends to other rooms. I'm trying to do this as inexpensively as possible - around $15k ideally, so I have set aside all my ambitions for anything as gorgeous as what folks here seem to do. If I could afford it, I have the option of expanding the room lengthwise into what what was probably the dining room in the house's original configuration (it is at the front of the house, so is open to the foyer as well as staircase to the second floor.) Even if I had a larger budget, there's really no option for expanding width wise because of the placement of the furnace. My hope is to keep this as simple as possible, in part by not moving appliance locations, etc.

Cabinets seem like the toughest part of doing this on a budget: how to get enough, of reasonable enough quality, without blowing the entire $15k right there. I don't want to use Ikea for a variety of reasons - I know all the good stuff, but I'm just not sold on the style, and since I'd need an installer anyway the cost savings are not as great as they might seem. I've been pricing out the big box stores, but I've also started checking Craigs List and occasionally seen interesting ads = from contractors looking to sell new cabinets from cancelled jobs, from cabinet stores looking to sell display models, etc. I don't want to buy anything used, but I'm wondering what people think about the possibility of buying really nice new cabinets that were custom made for another house/layout vs. buying something low-budget like American Woodmark from HD or Lowes? Would an installer be likely to be able to match the color for trim pieces and filler? What other issues should I consider - or should I just drop this idea altogether? Thanks for any advice!!

Comments (12)

• lovesautumn
    13 years ago

My kitchen budget was $10K for a U shaped kitchen and we were pretty much able to stay within it. We did use the American Woodmark cabinets from Home Depot and upgraded to the All plywood construction and I am impressed with the quality. I know this isn't exactly what you asking, just giving an option that just because they aren't expensive, doesn't mean they were cheap. My cabinets came to just over $5K, granite countertops (we had 50 sq feet and two corners- $1800., install (done by a coworkers husband $1600) and then the rest was cabinet hardware, range hood, sink, faucet and tile for backsplash and floor.

According to our contractor we have a lot of cabinets and he even seemed impressed with the quality.

• smaloney
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks! I feel okay about the AW option; not fabulous, in part because my budget means that I probably have to stick to a stained maple rather than paint (which adds about another $1k.) And I'm still waiting on the installation estimate, which scares me a lot. That's why I'm lurking on CL! But I'm really glad to hear from an AW customer with a good experience - it's hard to find a lot of feedback either way on the web.

• davidro1
    13 years ago

Everyone always feels their galley kitchen is small.
    It is, and all galleys are, since a galley is by definition a straight run between two counters.
    Your galley kitchen is huge because it is open at both ends to other rooms.
    Your galley kitchen is huge because it is 12 feet long.
    Since it's huge, you could decide to buy something just because it's supposedly a steal.
    Then, you still have enough space to compensate for what you just bought.

I recommend doing the opposite.
    Take the time it will take to learn what you will eventually learn in any case.
    What is it? Layout.
    Layout.

A layout of two straight runs is the easiest to work with in simulations and in real life installations.

• senator13
    13 years ago

I am not sure where you live, but in addition to Craigslist, you might want to check places that re-sell stuff like

Habitat for Humanity Restore
    Green Demolitions
    Community Forklift (in DC)

• noellabelle
    13 years ago

I didn't get my cabinets on cl (we were able to paint the existing ones), but I think cl could definitely be one way to go. I know I've seen a couple of kitchens on here that bought display or habitat cabinets, and they were gorgeous!

• dianalo
    13 years ago

I agree with senator13. You can get great deals for nice materials.

• Circus Peanut
    13 years ago

I got my cabinets at Habitat for Humanity at a fraction of their original cost - $3500 for about $40,000 worth of very nice cherry cabs. I was able to remodel the whole kitchen for just under $20,000 including all new appliances.

Be persistent, search every day, and it can be done!

• chris11895
    13 years ago

If you have one in your area, IKEA is another option.

• steff_1
    13 years ago

Our Habitat Re-store has brand new cabinets in standard sizes for sale. They also have all levels of cabinets available from old and broken to almost new. You just have to check regularly.

We found cabinets for a flip house on CL, they were locally made for our job at a great price. The installer was also the dealer and that added up to a big savings.

When buying cabinets from a cancelled order or demo, you really need to have your layout done and compare the inventory available to see if there's enough of a match. Getting custom trim and filler pieces made to match when you are not purchasing the entire kitchen might also add up to big money so check on that before buying.

• mtnfever (9b AZ/HZ 11)
    13 years ago

after you have your layout (so you can snap up a good deal when you find it without worrying that it ultimately won't fit in your space), you might think about whether an unfitted-look kitchen would work for you. This would allow you to do different cabinets like you planned it that way all along :) .

also, if you decide to go fitted and matching trim is cost prohibitive, maybe pick your own trim in the style for the whole kitchen as a uniting item.

HTH

cheers

• desertsteph
    13 years ago

my sister has AW cabs and they're beautiful! I love them and would love to have them myself. they're oak in a med brown stain.(not orangey). they look great with the butterum I want to get.

BUT, in cleaning my cabs in the new place I found the uppers are in just great shape -inside. the outside color and doors are yuk tho. Several of the lowers are in really bad shape too. So, I'm thinking I might attempt to replace a few of the lowers (checking CL and going to restore) and redo the finish and get new doors and drawer fronts.

It should save me some (maybe), should be less work than having all of those uppers pulled out. Less stress on me - maybe. And will save some orphan cabinets somewhere from continued homelessness.

I'm going to live with what's there for a time to let it all sink in and give myself time to change my mind again 300 times. Then (maybe) I'll have the strength to face making the changes.

I do think going with good used/other boxes is a good thing!

• kitchennovice44
    13 years ago

Also check into Wellborn Forest - I have a smaller kitchen than you, but just as a reference, I went with their designer series (all-plywood) for 10 x 10 kitchen - disciplined myself to stay with one of their basic stains, (spice) in maple. No frills, pullouts, custom fit cabs or other fun stuff I see and envy on GW, but still very well made, quality stuff from a company that's been around quite a few years. I paid $2500 total for cabs, not counting installation. (Remember though NO frills - basic cabs...although I did get all drawers instead of base on one of the lower units! :)