Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hollie_z9

Guest house...coffee table or dining table?

hollie_z9
11 years ago

I'm finishing my guest house, about 400 square feet. I have a california king murphy bed, tv, small refrigerator, maybe microwave, nice bathroom.

Should I have seating for guests with coffee table, comfy chairs, or small table with dining type chairs?

I notice most hotel suites have a seating area with coffee table rather than dining space.

Guests can walk across the patio to my kitchen easily.

My girlfriends seem to be split on this question.

Hollie

Comments (33)

• User
    11 years ago

In our Florida guesthouse (600 sq ft with one separate bedroom and large room with kitchenette and breakfast counter for one) I put a nice big coffee table. The key is to get a tall coffee table that is comfortable to eat on. Presumably most guests will be eating with you in the main house and thus a dining table/chairs is a waste of space.

• porkandham
    11 years ago

I'd go with comfy chairs and coffee table.

• chickadee2_gw
    11 years ago

Comfy chairs and coffee table.

• hollie_z9
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the input.

I don't think I can fit a microwave into the small counter over refrigerator...so it's not like they can cook food. Once I get a coffee maker on that counter, not much room at all.

Hollie

• Fun2BHere
    11 years ago

I would rather have a higher table at around 30" high because I like to use my iPad or laptop for activities like reading, checking Email, playing games and watching movies. I prefer not to have to look down as that's hard on my neck. I wouldn't use a coffee table at all.

• Olychick
    11 years ago

What about an adjustable height coffee table that could be raised if someone needs/wants a dining height table...like for games or reading or even eating?

Here is a link that might be useful: Adjustable coffee tables

• Boopadaboo
    11 years ago

I agree with Fun2BHere. I have no coffee tables in my house though. :)

• pammyfay
    11 years ago

No microwave? How are they going to make their late-night popcorn? LOL!

An adjustable-height table is a really good idea, but a quick Froogle search shows they can be really expensive. And the ones I saw look based on the mechanics of an ironing board!

So I guess I would go for a small square or round dining table. I don't always like using my laptop while I'm sitting on the sofa -- just not comfy on the back and neck -- so I'd probably want to sit at a dining table with it.

Maybe for the living space, use one of the large ottoman/tray setups?

Also, when your future guests walk in, where will they be able to "dump" their purse, keys, shopping bags, etc.?
    I ask this because in my townhouse, my DR area is very close to the front door, and my DR table is the "drop-off zone" -- so a small round DR table, say, could suit more purposes than just a place to eat.

(Let me also say that a guest house seems dreamy! I've had enough of sleeping in relatives' dens or family rooms with lumpy pullout sofas and very little privacy!)

• yayagal
    11 years ago

I go for comfort to relax and sip coffee and be able to slouch and rest lol.

• newdawn1895
    11 years ago

Go for comfort!

• Alittleapple
    11 years ago

If your house has the dining room, I think the coffee table is much suitable,and it can provide seat for guest's rest.

• les917
    11 years ago

A small table of some kind at dining/desk height would be my first choice. I prefer to sit at a table to eat or work on my iPad, or read a magazine. Plus, if you are putting in a fridge (and you should really find a way for a small microwave or fridge/micro combo like they have for dorm rooms) and a coffeemaker, I would want a place to put food and sit for a snack. 400 sq feet is about the size of our family room, and we could easily fit a King murphy bed, couch, chairs, and a small table with a couple of chairs in that space.

What you might consider, since the bed is a Murphy bed, is to have a couple of comfy casual chairs and a small rectangular coffee table that have wheels, and can sit in front of the bed when closed. Then they can slide over by the couch when the bed is down, and the coffee table can sit at the end of the bed like bench.

You could also add a small wall-mounted fold-down table somewhere, that could be popped up to give dining/desk space.IKEA has one.

Or, you could use a console table against a wall or behind a couch that has a couple of stools or chairs that can be pushed underneath when not being used.

• camlan
    11 years ago

People tend to need flat surfaces to do things on or put things on. Especially since the bed will be closed up most of the time, I think if you can have only one table, get one that is at dining table height.

As a PP mentioned, most people have laptops or iPads that they use. And the table is a good drop-off zone, as another PP mentioned. Think of the things a person will be doing in the guest house. Packing? Where to put the suitcase? Coffee? Where to put the mug? Reading? Where to put the book when they get up to go to the bathroom? Will they need to look at a map or write a note?

I think a small, round dining table will be more versatile. You can always get comfy chairs to put around it. A small coffee shop that I frequent has dining-height tables with wing back armchairs. Very comfortable chairs and the tables are the right height for sipping coffee and checking your email.

The chairs are on casters so that you can easily pull them up to the table. Also, the casters raise the chairs up just enough to make them the right height for the tables. Otherwise, they'd be just a bit too short. And if the chairs are easy to move around, your guests can move them to the window to see the view, to the table to sip a cup of coffee, etc.

• sheesh
    11 years ago

Since you are making provisions for preparing light foods with the fridge, coffeemaker, and I hope a microwave) I think you need a space for enjoying them while using the i-pod, reading, putting stuff, sitting around. I would prefer a regular table and chairs.

Since you have a king size bed, you must be expecting more than one guest at a time, is that right? Couples? With kids? Is the guest house intended for one specific guest/s (parent/s, dear friend) or random guests? Consider who will be using the space.

• LuAnn_in_PA
    11 years ago

My vote is for dining table and chairs.

I just came back from an extended vacation that included stays in all-suites hotels in different cities. The coffee tables were NEVER used. The dining table was used plenty... for dining, using electronics, playing cards, reading, etc.

I have NO coffee tables in our house.. they are useless to us.

• nosoccermom
    11 years ago

I wonder to what extent this is an age question. Our kids eat and work at the coffee tables while the parents eat and work at the dining/kitchen table....

• suewoman
    11 years ago

Another vote for comfy chairs/coffee table, however as I typed this I had other thoughts as well...I use both of your options at my house for "me" time - reading, iPad, etc...and even if I fully enjoy what I am doing at a dining table, I don't tend to feel as relaxed when I am done, as when I am curled up in a cozy chair. Agree with the poster above however who questioned age/number of intended guests. Who do you think your guests will be and what are their habits? Will they be out and about mostly, or holed up in the guest house? Will they have a glass of wine together before joining you for dinner or will they just sleep and shower in the gh? We are a young family and while all meals/snacks/crafts are at a dining table, other activities tend to circulate around cozy seating areas (including morning coffee and evening glass of wine). We are also still ok with sitting on the floor around the coffee table if needed for games, too. (maybe you can stack floor cushions in a basket?). Elderly parents might prefer something different. I know my in-laws like to play cards, work puzzles, write letters, etc.. at a dining height table, but also to read in a cozy spot. Is it possible to do a small dining table for two, perhaps by a window, or in a corner with a great light fixture, along with maybe one plush chair with floorlamp, small side table or garden stool for beverage, etc in another corner? Also would try to fit the microwave somehow for late night tea, soup, warming leftovers, popcorn, etc. Sounds like fun!! Good luck.

• hollie_z9
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Wow, thanks for all the responses you guys!

Ok, this little guest house was not planned for use by children. Although I could have space for kids by using a hide-a-bed sofa instead of chairs. Most of my friends are past the age where they bring children.

The California King murphy bed was picked because most couples I know sleep in that size. But I was thinking two women could also double up in a bed that big.

I use a laptop and tablet mostly on a sofa, or I could use them on a lounge chair with feet up on the coffee table.

I do have a sofa I could use there instead of chairs.

My husband and I sometimes eat in front of the tv, using the coffee table and sofa...it can be done...in fact it is where he prefers to eat.

The little kitchenette is already built. It has small frig below small counter with cabinet above for cups, glasswear, coffee and other things they might need for snacks or coffee/tea. I really do not think a microwave will fit, if I use up all the counter space with microwave, it will look terrible.

Within that approx. 400 square feet is a large bathroom that takes up space.

I expect most guests will be out and about during the day, going to the beach or shops, then maybe come back and have wine, snacks, before joining me.

I used a murphy bed because I plan to use this as a yoga workout room when no guests are there.

Thanks for your answers...should I use a sofa instead?

Hollie

• hollie_z9
    Original Author
    11 years ago

One more thing...

There is a small closet, dresser and luggage racks for suitcases.

I did think a lot about popcorn in microwave, but the small size ones I would have to get, are low power and not so good. They can walk the short distance to my kitchen for popcorn or other uses.

I have a small dropleaf antique table that can be put to the side until needed...it is the height of a dining table.

Most guests will be adults whose kids have gone to college, or even older adults. Some I even worry about falling!

They aren't working when they come here. This is a beach house so vacation only.

Hollie

• Olychick
    11 years ago

It sound like you've already installed your murphy bed? If not, one of my friends installed one of these that has a table built in...it works great in their space, but of course the bed has to be folded up to use the table.

• sheesh
    11 years ago

Wow, olychick, 35 years ago my brothers and I had a bedroom furniture store. In it, we had a bed/ table just like your friend's. We thought it was such a great idea, but we didn't sell a single one in the six years it was in the store! We couldn't get rid of it for love nor money. I still think it is a great idea, but not everyone needs one, I guess. Thanks for the look-see.

• megamuffins
    11 years ago

Coffee table! for sure.

• camlan
    11 years ago

Depending on how much space you have, could you do the small antique table plus two comfy armchairs with an end table between them, and no coffee table at all?

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

I've travelled a lot on business and stayed at "suites" type hotels where I had a counter area by the kitchen and a sofa with coffee table. The only thing I ever used the coffee table for was putting my feet up on if I was watching tv...but mostly I did that from bed. However I did use the counter area all the time...for reading, writing, using the computer, the phone was there, the lighting was better. If relaxing I could use it for playing cards or computer games or even as a place to put down my stuff like purse and things. In fact one of the places I stayed at used to have a counter and replaced it with a table and they got a lot of complaints about it as a counter was even so much more useful.

• hollie_z9
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Olychick...I saw those table/murphy beds and like them. But since I'm using all the space for working out on the floor when guests aren't there, it would get in the way.

I have a very similar look full size murphy bed in the 2nd bedroom in the main house...which is my office but I can turn down the small murphy bed there too. It looks a lot like your photo...bright white with silver handles...people keep pulling the handles, thinking they are drawers...

I should say, the main house has a master bedroom and a bedroom I've turned into an office but have the above murphy bed for emergencies. My husband passed away recently so it is just me and my dog. I spent the last whole year remodeling this house from the ground up..it is right on the beach with big ocean views from every window. The house is such that I have "private space" for my master and bath so people can come in the kitchen and living room without bothering me. I get a lot of company during the summer.

Annie...your comments make me think I should put a second small dresser in the room just for the dresser top...But I use the laptop in bed or on the sofa for cards/tv.

So nobody thinks the sofa is a good idea? It is a tight fit.

• Olychick
    11 years ago

Hollie, that table folds up into the wall when not in use. Here it is closed, in a wood finish. If you look at the white one, that inset above the table is where it fits. My friend has a piece of art hanging on the closed unit. you'd never know it's a bed.

• bird_lover6
    11 years ago

How about something like this with a smaller table if you don't have the room.

• natesgram
    11 years ago

We have had several rv's so when I think of smaller spaces, I always think of how they are set up. Try a search for under cabinet coffee maker. It would allow you to keep valuable counter space.

I'm also linking to a swingup coffee table. Some of the small microwaves work fine for popcorn or reheating leftovers.

I would prefer super comfy chairs (maybe on wheels) that I could move around the room by a window to read, at a table for computing or playing games. Depending on the age of kids, I would have a couple sleeping bags in storage.

Is there any way you would share some pictures of your guest house in progress? Always love to see the real deal.

Here is a link that might be useful: Adjustable table

• hollie_z9
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Finally...Photos....Ignore chairs and rolls of carpet pad.

The Murphy bed is white to blend into the wall. There are great views out the windows. The microwave could fit into the upper cabinet but depth will be a problem.

Hollie

• hollie_z9
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Another pic

• hollie_z9
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Other side of room...

• hollie_z9
    Original Author
    11 years ago

One side of bathroom...

Go here to see main house and patio in throes of remodel:

http://www.pbase.com/hollie/remodel_santa_cruz

Hollie

• joseph004
    11 years ago

A coffee table is such a beautiful and versatile piece of furniture and so common in today's culture, that most of us probably think it has been with us for thousands of years.Coffee tables have become much more than simple pieces of furniture.Thanks.