Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
glaswegian_gw

Help with paint colour for the garage and front door

glaswegian
13 years ago

I don't know if there is a rule that says......

Garage door and front door colour, has to match some paint on the house? I am not happy with all that "Greyish" going on in front of the house, and am looking to break some of that up with some paint.

Looking at the links below, what is your suggestion for colours, am thinking of tapping into the brick colour and do some kind of reddish brown similar to the colour we used for the inside of the front of our previous house in the 3rd link

thx

Comments (13)

• caseyrose
    13 years ago

There is quite a contrast between the light blue-gray (the way it appears on my monitor) and the dark brick red, which I agree doesn't work on the garage door. I would try to pull the house color and the brick together somehow. Is the reddish-brown you are referring to in the third picture on the door? That would look good against the brick but IMO would alienate the gray. Any chance you could re-paint the trim too? I wonder how it would look if the trim and the garage door were painted an off-white with tan undertones. I used Navajo white on my trim and garage doors and love it.

Hopefully you will get someone here to do some photoshop magic for you!

• glaswegian
    Original Author
    13 years ago

thanks....I'll like to see some photo shop magic actually

• mamabear2010
    13 years ago

I would make the garage door the same color as the white trim on your house. If you do something too close to the brick, it will look too densely red and take away from the rest of the house. You could paint your front door a black and that will bring in a classic look to the whole house. It's hard because you are working with the garage which is pretty prominently featured in the front of your house; I think if you do a neutral color, this will help it not be so dominant.

• teedup1
    13 years ago

Not what you asked for, but because there's nothing brick-red-ish at the top of the house for some continuity, I'd paint all of the brick the same as the siding color of the house then paint garage door same color as trim.

• bronwynsmom
    13 years ago

We had a similar problem with a previous house, which had a mixture of brick and clapboard. Unfortunately, there is just not any way to keep a house split like yours from looking like a hybrid (one architect friend called my house a brick shoe box with a camper top - yes, he is still a friend!) unless you pull those two colors together.

So here's what I would do - it's what we did, and it looked fabulous.
    Rather than paint the brick, or turn the siding red, I would choose a really nice stone color...something like BMoore's Revere Pewter, Rockport Gray, or Bleeker Beige (all from the Historical Color group). I would paint the siding in that color. Then I would dilute the color (there is a proper way to do this with exteriors), and wash it onto the surface of the brick. The result is to keep the natural tone and texture of your brick while pulling the color of the two materials together.

I would paint the garage door the same stone color as the siding, and paint the door a great brick red (Georgian Brick, from the same group, is good for this) or a rich dark blue Van (Deusen Blue is nice). The purpose of this is to minimize the garage door, and focus attention on the people door. It will also make your garage door recede some, and allow the lovely trim on your second floor to stand out.

• ellendi
    13 years ago

I have a white and brick house. When we bought the house, the brick was painted white. We sandblasted it off down to the original brick. The beauty of brick is that it doesn't have to be painted! I say paint the garage door white to match the trim. If you want to repaint the siding, you can paint the garage a lighter version of that color. Unless the brick is in horrible shape, which yours is not, it is a nice feature of your house!

• anrol
    13 years ago

How about trying to match the color of the grout in the brick for the garage door and then focus on the front door color.

• glaswegian
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Don't know how the "paint the brick" thing started, but I have no intentions of painting the brick, that will just be wrong.

If someone can can come up with some photoshop muck-ups, I might be able to get an idea of what it will look like painted

• hilltop_gw
    13 years ago

I don't have photoshop, but I can cut and paste to give you an idea. I included the current doors for comparison. Your current blue doors seem brighter than the other blue of your house. Even softening it a bit would help.

Original
    {{!gwi}}
    Lighter blue
    {{!gwi}}
    White
    {{!gwi}}
    Brown
    {{!gwi}}

• glaswegian
    Original Author
    13 years ago

So what do people think of these makeovers, which one looks better?

• ellendi
    13 years ago

Although it looks gray on my screen, I like the look of a white garage door with the red brick! So, I vote WHITE!

• bronwynsmom
    13 years ago

You might like to consider painting your siding and your garage door a rich, warm neutral to match the grout lines in the brick, and keep your trim white.
    I think that would pull the two parts together very nicely, make the garage door recede a little, and leave you free to paint your front door in whatever color pleases you.
    The mock-up of the wooden door looks nice, and it shows how effective it is to deepen the tone of the door to keep it from being the dominant form on the facade, but it doesn't relate to the style of the rest of the house, and I think the blues don't do much for the composition of the brick front of the garage.

• spring-meadow
    13 years ago

If you're up for repainting the house, I agree that light aqua isn't the best choice with your brick and the layout of materials.

I like the idea of more decorative doors but in your white trim color. If you can't replace the garage doors, I'd worry that the white would be too much with the style that you have there. I think the dark feels too heavy and halves the house. You need to integrate the upper and lower sections with color so it reads as a whole.