Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
honeybeem_gw

Galley Kitchen Remodel...suggestions anyone?

honeybeem
13 years ago

Our first house! We are nearly through remodeling our bathroom and thinking about the kitchen next...it's a small, true galley-style kitchen which will be a challenge to make more efficient. Any ideas and suggestions for us? It is about 8'x11' We thought about putting the fridge to the right of the sink, dishwasher to the left of sink, stove right where it is but with countertop and cabinets above and below. Any logical place to squeeze in pantry space that is now in the big tall cabinet.

We also thought about taking out the back door and making it a solid wall, which goes to a porch area where we have the washer and dryer. There is a breakfast nook to the right we have put the computer. We have thought about taking out that wall that would put the computer room and washer in the same room.

See all the kitchen pics at my Flickr page, be sure to check out our almost-completed bath remodel too!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/21088215@N05/

{{!gwi}}

Comments (11)

• honeybeem
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I see I should have reviewed my post before submitting--haha--it might be obvious enough but to clarify I meant we were thinking countertop space on either side of the stove with cabinets above and below...and about the pantry space, it is now in that tall cabinet you can barely see to the left of the stove, any alternate suggestions? Please do mention any suggestions about anything--we would love to have more ideas here!

• doraville
    13 years ago

I'm wondering if you can somehow incorporate the desk room into your kitchen plans. Maybe you could incorporate a pantry and desk in that room. Someone on this site did that.

Here's my galley. Maybe there is an idea there.

Here is a link that might be useful: galley kitchen

• honorbiltkit
    13 years ago

Your kitchen has really great natural light, some of which would presumably be given up if you took the door out of the end.

It is hard to tell from your photos how the computer room is configured to the kitchen or whether there is or could be any space available in the laundry "porch." I am coming at this having made the cranky discovery that, as a rule, small older kitchens cannot readily accommodate today's huge looming refrigerators without having the room's proportions thrown out of kilter and giving up a lot of usable space.

The rightly much admired enigmaquandry started out a different kind of galley kitchen, one that had less light than yours and a blind end to boot. As brilliant as her entire project turned out, I think it was relocating her fridge from the galley proper that allowed the space to blossom.

Even sandyponder, whose much larger and wonderfully imaginative kitchen you can easily find here, decided to place her refrigerator in her pantry.

As you might imagine, I too have just escaped a finite set of bad options by deciding to put the refrigerator into the just-large-enough pantry of the Sears kit house I am renovating. The fridge will be immediately outside the 10' x 11' kitchen, and the main space will be much more useful and well proportioned for its absence. I may even be able to make the two windows in the room bigger.

The alternative, from my viewpoint, would be one of the wonderfully tall but shallow and relatively narrow Liebherr refrigerators, all of which are well outside my budget.

Good luck. Your cabinets are great.

Here is a link that might be useful: enigmaquandry's brilliant solution

• belasea
    13 years ago

oh my gosh, is it just me, but I love your cabinets. I understand remodeling for more space and efficiency though.

• mailfox7
    13 years ago

Can you maybe incorporate the computer/laundry or breakfast area into the kitchen?
    Maybe this can give you ideas. We have a galley kitchen that is 7' wide. Our goal was to
    1. elimiate traffic through prep/cook area
    2. provide extra width through traffic area and prep area by having custom cabinets with reduced width and true counter depth frig.
    3. increase light in the kitchen with lighted back door and keeping three large windows and using light cabinets, walls, counters and backsplash.
    4. eliminate breakfast nook and use it as prep/cook area by removing wall and moving prep space 1 foot into dining area and providing eat in space at penninsula.

Following pictures are of the old kitchen:

allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" bgcolor="#869ca7" src="http://www.shutterfly.com/flashapps/flashslideshow/Slideshow.swf">;

Click here to view these pictures larger

Looking here, you can see what we did to the new space:

value="configurl=http%3A%2F%2Fws.shutterfly.com%2Fshare%2Fexternal_slideshow_config%3Fsid%3D0EYtm7Jo3bMXaA" />

• eastbaymom
    13 years ago

Could you recess the fridge into the opening currently created by the doorway to the laundry room, and then center the stove between cabinets on its current wall?

Then put the dishwasher to the right of the sink, so that it does not open into the back of the cook's legs when standing at the stove.

Beautiful color and floor in the remodeled bathroom!

• firstmmo
    13 years ago

No suggestions on the galley kitchen--there are true professionals here that can add so much and give such great advice. I'll just stick to cheerleading and saying how much I am shocked at the wonderful transformation you have done. Fabulous!! Keep going--you have a lovely first home!

• vampiressrn
    13 years ago

Congratulations on your first home...it certainly has a lot of charm (especially with your beautiful doggy). I love your kitchen, it looks like it has great structural elements. Nothing to add right now, except think about how you bring your groceries into the kitchen, be sure you have a good path before you remove the back door.

Your bathroom turned out beautiful. :-)

• desertsteph
    13 years ago

where does the door on the other side of the 'computer' room go?

is there somewhere else to put the W/D if not on the 'porch'?

is there somewhere else to put your computer desk etc?

• rosiew
    13 years ago

Honey, you and your husband did such a remarkable job on the bathroom!!

I'd like everyone to see a scale drawing of the kitchen and rooms around it. Easiest way for others to be able to make great suggestions. Is the porch/laundry tied into the heating/cooling? Where do you live?

Rosie, Sugar Hill, GA

• caryscott
    13 years ago

What a charming house. Your bath reno turned out great - very in keeping with the house - great colour. I wouldn't go right with the fridge (putting it near the door to the porch\laundry room). I would want it left near the main dining space, also close to where folks could grab a drink and not be in my way while cooking. Don't see a hood on the stove, are you going to be able to vent outside if the stove stays on that wall? How would you access the porch and laundry without the door? Do you like the laundry there, does it work for you (my laundry is at the end of my galley kitchen and I like it - condo so no alternatives but still)?