Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alron60

Load bearing walls corner removal for kitchen open concept

alron60
9 years ago

We're planning kitchen remodeling. I'm looking for structural advise about walls removal for making open concept kitchen.

The attached floorplan shows the walls to be removed (hatched) and the walls of the second floor (in red).

Our kitchen is a U shape open to a Family Rm at South direction. On the North side is a Dining room with a connecting door to the kitchen. The dining room is open to a living room on its East side. The living room is on the NE side of the kitchen.
A double door on the East side connects to an entrance and stairs to the second floor.

I'd like to remove all of the East wall and 2.5ft from the North wall. This will make 27ft North-Shouth openning (11ft are original).
Those walls has to somehow support the second floor. We have Master Bdrm (and Master suite) over the Kitchen and Dining Rm. The Master Bdrm has about 4ft overhang to the North beyond first floor exterior wall and a 4ft cantilever porch beyond that. There is a post 4ft away from the North wall, supporting a 8.5" x 5.5" beam.

I suspect both walls to be removed are load bearing walls.
What it would take to remove those walls?
What kind of beam(s) would be needed to support the second floor?
Could the second floor be supported without any column at the opening?

I'd appreciate any advice I could get about the structural support needed.

Comments (8)

• User
    9 years ago

You need a local structural engineer to design the support after on on site inspection. This isn't something you can do on the internet. There are too many variables that can impact howthis can happen, including your budget for the project.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

alron60:

I am licensed to perform structural alterations in 2 states. That said, there is no difference between hollysprings opinion and mine.

• jakuvall
    9 years ago

What they said.
    Partial answer to what you're up against.
    Not simple.
    A beam for a 27ft span will usually not fit into the ceiling so will protrude down.
    Loads have to carry down to footings. If not already there either new ones must be added or the load transferred to existing with another beam downstairs.
    All may all be complicated by the cantilever on the second floor.
    Getting the beam into the house, positioned and installed at that size is always interesting.

If you're ready to cope with all that then call an engineer for a real answer and a contractor for a price.

• User
    9 years ago

With a 2 story structure, removing load bearing walls gets to be infinitely more difficult than in a one story. There's also snow loads, and seismic and high wind stability with resistance to shearing to consider in creating the support for what you are thinking of removing.

If this is to be a DIY project, you need to have a pretty well experienced friend list in the trades that are willing to give you a couple of weekends for a heck of a lot of pizza and beer, and you'd better be well experienced as well. Might be cheaper (and safer!) to just call a licensed contractor who already has the burly guys on his payroll and can do this a bit quicker.

And that IS after a consult with a structural engineer who will create the support plan! That's how you know for sure that your house won't fall down in the next high wind. :-)

• schicksal
    9 years ago

We removed about that much load bearing wall between the kitchen and family room at our place and absolutely got a licensed civil engineer involved. A framing subcontractor handled the labor. This is the one portion of the project that was absolutely not DIY.

I agree with the others above. The answer to your questions is a great big "it depends."

• feisty68
    9 years ago

"It depends" sure is right.

Ask your city what is required for a building permit, and you will definitely find an engineer is part of that. I would strongly recommend that you resolve the structural design issues before working on layout at all.

I went through the most absurd process of hiring a structural engineer and he gave me answers that I now know to be correct, but that were extremely disappointing. What I thought was a simple little thing turned out to be something that would involve a massive undertaking.

People on the internet cannot advise you about this without either seeing architectural drawings or visiting your home.

• Cloud Swift
    9 years ago

Our son and DIL had a load bearing wall removed when remodeling their kitchen. Their situation was a lot simpler than yours as it is a one story house. I don't have the exact dimensions, but I'm pretty sure that it was less than 27'. Also there are no snow loads to consider here.

As others have advised you, a structural engineer was required to consult with and approve the plans.

Footings needed to be poured for the posts to support the beam and a beam installed to span the gap. Since they are in a one story, the beam is above the ceiling.

• rmtdoug
    9 years ago

27' is a very wide span to retrofit. If heavy snow loads/earthquakes are a risk, you are taking about a pretty big glulam. Have the structural engineers also consider a steel beam. That might be more cost efficient.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!