Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ssdarb

2 cm vs. 3 cm quartzite

ssdarb
10 years ago

Hello, I have found 3 slabs of 2 cm white macaubus quartzite that I love. My question is about the thickness. I understand that if I choose a 2 cm slab, that the edges should be laminated, right? Then I will have the look of 4 cms. OR, I could choose 3 cm slabs and just have that 3 cm edge.

Does anyone ever just put 2 cms and leave it as that, without laminating?

As far as looks go, I like a nice clean eased edge and that's it, nothing else. Going for a transitional/contemporary look.

In pictures such as on Houzz.com, it's difficult for me to tell if the counters are 2 cm or 3 cm, but I can tell when they are laminated because I can usually see the line.

I don't want to see a line on mine. I have that now and it bugs me. So do I look for 3 cm slabs or what?

I know the raw material in 3 cm will be more costly, but doesn't all that laminating cost also? Is it a wash in terms of cost or is one always more than the other by a lot?

Thanks.

Comments (20)

• mark_rachel
    10 years ago

I know with 2 cm granite they install it on top of plywood. The laminated edge covers the plywood that is under the slab. I would assume that 2 cm quartzite would be the same with plywood underneath. 3 cm granite does not need the plywood, so you get the natural edge.

• karin_mt
    10 years ago

Holy cow, those are spectacular slabs! Personally I like the look of a sleek 2cm slab, especially in a contemporary setting. So to answer one of your questions, yes, a 2 cm edge is done. I'm with you about the laminated edge - I prefer the WYSIWYG look myself.

Have fun with those slabs - lucky you!

• gpraceman55
    10 years ago

2cm will need the extra support with plywood on top of the cabinets, usually with a laminated edge to hide the plywood. Though, you could put a piece of trim under the edge of the countertop to cover the edge of the plywood, if you like the thinner look. I also read of someone having their cabinet maker put plywood tops in their cabinets, so the cabinet itself hid the plywood.

• rmsaustin
    10 years ago

Those slabs are really beautiful. If you want a thicker look to the edge (than 2 cm.) you might want to inquire about a mitered edge instead of a laminated edge. The seam on a mitered edge that is done well is pretty unnoticeable. It usually costs more and you could weigh that cost against 3 cm. material.

• calumin
    10 years ago

Yes if the edge bugs you, make sure your fabricator can do a mitered edge, which makes a 45 degree cut and makes the seam right at the edge (instead of gluing a second piece under the first one).

One other issue I'm working through (which you may or may not have) is any overhang if you have a peninsula. A 3cm slab can be extended farther without any need for additional support than a 2cm slab can. For a 12" overhang and 2cm, I'll need to add stainless steel bars under the counter for additional support. 12" is right on the edge of what is allowable for 3cm without additional support.

This post was edited by calumin on Mon, May 20, 13 at 16:33

• ssdarb
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I never thought of the mitered edge option or the plywood topped cabinets.

I will weigh all these things - so much to consider, I might have to make a spreadsheet!

As far as style goes - it's so hard to tell from photographs, but I like the appearance of a thinner edge. In the pictures, I might be looking at a 2 cm edge or a 3 cm edge. I just can't tell.

• ssdarb
    Original Author
    10 years ago

If I ask the fabricator to miter the edge won't the line still show or the top corner/edge?

• ssdarb
    Original Author
    10 years ago

If I ask the fabricator to miter the edge won't the line still show on the top corner/edge?

• oldbat2be
    10 years ago

Strayer - snap those slabs up! I was just reading a Luce di Luna post (linked). Maybe what you're showing isn't this but the picture you posted? THAT is what I was trying to find. Gorgeous.

Here is a link that might be useful: Luce di Luna post

• Peke
    10 years ago

The 3" quartzite I am looking at runs $99.00 per sq ft including fabrication. It is called Sea Pearl. I am in Oklahoma. I guess prices vary by region.

• Cloud Swift
    10 years ago

With a mitered edge, the line tends to be hidden on the corner transition. Some of the quartzites are pretty expensive so the 3 cm might cost significantly more (though the fabricator will charge something for the labor of making a laminated edge and probably even more for a mitered edge so that offsets the extra cost of 3 cm unless you go for a 2 cm edge).

Our quartzite is laminated, not mitered and the fabricator did a good job so I mostly don't notice the line. Only when I look for it.

You don't need to do a laminated edge even if there is plywood under it. Two friends of mine did a 2 cm thin edge. One used a simple trim molding of wood matched to the cabinets to cover the edge of the plywood. The other left the plywood edge uncovered - I know because I put my head under the counter and looked into the shadow for it. If I was doing it, I'd probably cover with a trim piece because it would bother me, but only someone very TKO who looks for it would notice if you didn't.

• firstmmo
    10 years ago

And don't forget that sometimes with a thicker edge they need to "lift" the counter a bit with double plywood, otherwise your drawers might catch on the edge. Make sure you are talking to your cabinetmaker and your contractor to think it all through.

The waterfall mitred edges are beautiful and with your slabs, they will look amazing! I have attached a pic of mine so you can see how the grain runs down over the edges on all sides. These are 4" edges.

• breezygirl
    10 years ago

The sleeker 2cm look is common in Europe now so there has to be a way to get the support the thinner stone needs without having the plywood visible. Right? Or do they just leave it exposed as Cloud_swift mentioned? We need one of the experienced fabricators and/or KDs to weigh in here.

Those slabs are jaw dropping!

• ssdarb
    Original Author
    10 years ago

firsthouse,

Thanks for that pic. It looks so beautiful!

The 2 cm slabs are on hold and my GC and fabricator are getting me the total price.

Seeing your pic makes me feel confident in the 2cm slabs with the mitered edge. Thanks!

• gpraceman55
    10 years ago

To do without a laminated edge, I have read about people:

1) Putting a piece of trim under the edge of the countertop to cover the edge of the plywood.

2) Having their cabinet maker put plywood tops in their cabinets, so the cabinet itself hid the plywood.

• ssdarb
    Original Author
    10 years ago

firsthouse,

Sorry slightly off topic...Do you have any more pics? What backsplash did you choose to go with the quartzite counertop? I currently have marble subway tiles for most of the area and some marble mosaic to go over the cooktop area. There's a 30 return policy on what I purchased and I am mulling it over as to whether to do this very light backsplash or change it.

Here is a pic of the backsplash and my Nana's china which is my color inspiration.

On the quartzite - yes it would be great if a fabricator would weigh in. My GC is talking to the fabricator about the mitered edge. Is it technically difficult to do? I don't want the fabricator to attempt something that they are not well experienced in. They have a good rep in town though.

• firstmmo
    10 years ago

Backsplash is same material as counters: White Princess Quartzite.

My fabricator didn't blink an eye when I said 4" mitered waterfall edges. His only comment was that he hoped the slab was big enough for the island...it requires a continuous large piece. I had to shrink my island down a bit and it ended up being 9 x 5 instead of 9.5 x 5.5. I would ask your fabricator what his experience has been--if they say that they have done it and perhaps show you some pictures, then I think you can feel fairly confident (especially if you already have confidence in them). Mitered edges are not rare of a thing. I would think most reputable fabricators have done mitered edges.

• firstmmo
    10 years ago

Here is a pic of my buffet area with soapstone--no edging at all. This is 2cm and the piece was installed right on top of the cabinet and plywood with no finished edge.

• ssdarb
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Beautiful! Thanks!