Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kathy_94952

Single sink newbie

Kathy F
13 years ago

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'm thinking about a single sink for my main sink. I had figured I'd go for a 60/40 or 70/30 because that's what I've always had and have been pretty happy with them. But reading here on GW has me changing my mind.

I need to keep the sink base size to a 32 1/4" interior or smaller and I want a rear drain. I will also have a prep sink big enough to really prep veggies, drain pasta, etc. (I'm thinking Ticor S805 at 13"x16.5"x 7" interior or Ticor S905 at 16" round x 7.25" deep if I go stainless).

My questions:

- How small a single bowl for my main sink is big enough? The smaller the sink, the more room for more cabinets. Always trade offs... Would the Blanco 26" Super Single be big enough?

http://www.faucetdirect.com/blanco-441024-stellar-super-single-bowl-stainless-undermount-kitchen-sink/p860541

- I'm looking at the Ticor S113 (link below). Does anyone have this sink? If so, do you like it?

- What other sinks, either Silgranit or stainless, would be good choices for me? Cost is a consideration.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ticor S113

Comments (12)

• MCMesprit
    13 years ago

We have a blanco super single. Dimensions (interior) are 30-1/2-Inch by 16-1/2-Inch by 9-1/2-Inch. It is plenty big enough for our family of five. We've always had double sinks but we absolutely love the single blanco. Super easy to clean. Big enough to wash everything -- stockpots etc... -- that can't go in the DW. DH especially loves that he can clean our delicate stemware and not worry about accidentally hitting the side of the sink. Works great for prep as well.

• Kathy F
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, MCM. I'm realizing there's more than one Blanco Super Single. The one I was talking about is the Stellar Super Single, which is Stainless and has interior dimensions of 26" x 16" x 9". I am wondering if that would be big enough. There are 2 of us, but DH is not good at putting things from the sink into the DW (and I try to resist doing it for him!) so there are usually some dishes sitting there. But only 4.5 inches smaller than what you have - might just do it.

• MCMesprit
    13 years ago

Can't speak for the SS in terms of cleaning etc... (we've had them in the past which is why we went with the silgranit this time -- much easier to keep clean). But I think the smaller size would work for the two of you just fine.

• lucypwd
    13 years ago

The main advantage of the single sink, in my opinion, is the ability to put items fully into the sink. I love being able to lay a cookie sheet or sheet pan directly down into the sink. I made a last minute switch from a double sink to the single and am very pleased. I also switched to SS, even though I'm not a SS fan. I use a sink grid to protect the sink from scratches. The SS sink is high quality and doesn't have the "tinny" feel that can occur with some brands. I don't think I would be happy if I didn't use the sink grid as the SS does scratch easily. My DH removed the grid to clean some camp gear and created a scratched area. Otherwise the sink looks like new. It is simple to keep clean. Ironically the sink grid is too big to fit in the DW. HA!

• Kathy F
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, MCM, for your feedback. I had thought Silgranit, but now am thinking SS. I still have a few days to change my mind again. :)

lucy - which SS sink did you end up with? I sure do plan to use the grid. Funny about the grid not fitting in the DW!

I'm now excited about a single sink - never thought I'd say that!! Now I just need to decide which one. I was leaning heavily towards the Ticor S113, but then noticed it needs a large positive reveal to support the cutting board and the drainer. I guess the Franke Orca's shelf for the extra items is lower in the sink. But I just can't afford the Orca. Now I need to go read threads on sink reveals (unless anyone wants to give me a quick tutorial here. :) ).

• willtv
    13 years ago

We've got the Blanco MODEL 441024 you're speaking of. It's plenty big, deep and sturdy.

We also have the bottom grid.
    It helps protect the bottom of the sink and also elevates whatever your cleaning by about an inch which we find helps.
    We asked our countertop installers to leave a 1/4" positive reval and we'll have a cutting board made to rest on the sink for prep work.

• lucypwd
    13 years ago

I have the Franke Orca - I bought both grids; but recently have just been using the bottom grid to protect the sink. The grids are pricey!! I don't think the lip for the second grid is really an advantage - I would have bought the sink without it, and have not found it FUNCTIONALLY useful, handy - yes, functional - not really. Ours is mounted with a flush or even slightly negative reveal - I think it is just a matter of what you personally like. I don't like seeing the edge of the sink. We have a silgranite sink in the pantry - good size, but alas the painters used it to clean something and it now has a white wash stain that I cannot remove. I'm glad it isn't my main sink. I do think the SS looks better than the silgranite - JMHO, although lots of people love their silgranite.

• mrdirect
    13 years ago

Don't bother with the Ticor S113. They don't make there sinks and are just a reseller. I have listed a link below to the same sink for cheaper. We are MR Direct and have a decent name around as offering a good quality sink for a good price. We also dont overcharge for our accessories

Here is a link that might be useful: MR Direct Link for 346

• Kathy F
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, all, for your answers. I spent the last 2 days focusing on selecting and tagging my granite!!!! I'll post pics in a new thread. In the meantime....

willtv - thanks. If I can't find the Ticor S113 (or equivalent), I think that will be my choice - it seems to be readily available, so I'm using it as my back up.

lucypwd - I love the idea of the Franke Orca, but not the price tag. :( I actually found it on one website for $575, but then the grids are extra.... it gets even more expensive quickly and I frankely (pun intended) can't afford it. Good to get the feedback that the bottom grid is really the one you most use. And so sorry to hear about your Silgranit/painter episode. I hope they offered you at least some compensation???

mrdirect - thanks for the link to your 346 sink. It does look like (and the dimensions match) the Ticor S113. I had only seen your 345 previously and it wasn't what I wanted. The 346 is, but.... do you have cutting boards and/or drainers to fit? I don't see drainers at all on your website and 346 is not an option when I look at the cutting boards under accessories. Also, a "wire grid" is an option when I look at the sink; can you provide a picture of what that looks like? I am assuming this is the same as a "sink grate" under accessories?

• ZacsDaddy
    13 years ago

We just had the Ticor 112 installed. The sink is beautiful and solid. Overall I'm extremely impressed. (Sorry I can't say much more than this as we're still waiting for the faucet to be connected!)

• kaismom
    13 years ago

Take your biggest roasting pan and the biggest saute pan or frying pan and measure the longest length including the handle of the pan. You should be able to put the entire thing in the sink.

If you cannot set the pan flat on the bottom of the sink, then you can't soak it to clean later.

• Kathy F
    Original Author
    13 years ago

ZacsDaddy - thanks for the feedback - sounds like you're just finishing up, congrats!

kaismom - great advise. If I do get the S113 (or equivalent), I think anything I own will fit! My biggest roasting pan and skillet with handle are both about 21" so the Blanco 441024 will also work, just not with much room for something else at the same time.