Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kildarebill

Leaded look windows

KildareBill
11 years ago

I am building a new house and want to use windows that have the look of leaded divided lite windows. These would be simulated divided lights using metal applied inside and outside, preferably with an interior spacer. Does anyone know of a manufacturer that offers this as an option?

Comments (7)

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    11 years ago

I don't know of anyone off the top of my head that does that.

Several manufacturers do have a caming option, but none that I know of are surface mounted to duplicate the SDL look.

Ask manufacturers about "caming" line and let me know what you figure out.

• HomeSealed
    11 years ago

I believe that Marvin offers the leaded look caming, but I believe that it is only to the interior side of the glass. There are aftermarket companies that do a beautiful job of this as well, but I've only ever seen it on the interior surface. The exterior would pose durability issues. Remember, the older homes with real lead caming had exterior storms to protect it, where replacement windows will not. I also see a problem with the idea of a spacer between the glass. Most caming is rather thin, and manufacturers do not have an internal grid or spacer that would be nearly as thin.
    You might be surprised at how nice the interior caming looks, even from the exterior. IMO, the darker coloring and thin profile of lead caming was always intended more for a rich interior look than curb appeal anyway.

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    11 years ago

+1

I think are right about Marvin's. Where is MWM when you need him....

Paging Herb!!!!

Not sure if anyone does it on both sides though.

• millworkman
    11 years ago

Andersen has there "Frank Lloyd Wright Art Glass" which is an interior glazing panel. Marvin does offer something similar but being out of the residential wood window game for some time I am not certain about others and as was previously mention none that are applied to the exterior for the exact reasons listed by HS.

• PRO
    East Bay 10
    11 years ago

Marvin offers both the IG leaded lites with different caming options as well as the exterior/interior SDL diamond lites. Be prepared as they are not inexpensive because they are very labor intensive.

• HomeSealed
    11 years ago

eastbay: what is the material of the exeterior SDL that you mention?... I assume you just mean the standard sdl with wood interior, AL exterior?

• PRO
    East Bay 10
    11 years ago

Yes. Aluminum. Standard SDL cut into diamond lites. I see the 5/8" and the 7/8" widths most common with the diamonds and of course, a wood interior.