Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
organic_smallhome

Does this Lamp look okay here?

organic_smallhome
15 years ago

The base is wood; the shade is metal. I'm worried about how to coordinate it with the red in the room (rug). I'll be painting the walls, probably a pale yellow. Would it help if the pillow on the bed had blue, yellow and red in it?

Comments (31)

• robynpa
    15 years ago

I am not sure (I would need to see what you mean) but I just love that lamp! Where did you get it?

• wooderlander
    15 years ago

It's a cute lamp and looks good there, but a metal shade right next to a bed is not such a good idea because it will get hot. It would work better in a spot where people are wide awake and well-clothed, I think, maybe on top of a bookshelf or a desk?

• squirrelheaven
    15 years ago

That's an adorable lamp!! Is there more yellow around the room, because it seems too yellow in there to me.

• valzone5
    15 years ago

Another gorgeous lamp!!

• organic_smallhome
    Original Author
    15 years ago

robynpa: I bought it half-price at Pierre Deux. Here's the pillow I'm thinking of:

{{!gwi}}

wooderlander: This is in the guest room, and there's almost nobody in there ever, except for our cat. :)

squirrel: Well, the walls will be yellow. And I'll be recovering the chair in there in a blue/yellow/red fabric.

• organic_smallhome
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Or would it be better for the wall color to be a smoky blue-grey?

• squirrelheaven
    15 years ago

I think it's very charming in there, like your room.

• cooperbailey
    15 years ago

I would like the walls a soft buttery yellow. And that lamp is so cute! and half price too!I think it looks good on that cute table. and the pillow will be good touch as well.

• Valerie Noronha
    15 years ago

Pretty lamp. Does the shade get hot? I do think another paint color would offset the lamp nicely. I'm not so sure about yellow, though. Perhaps a soft grey?

What about putting that pillow you were thinking of putting in the study with the little elephants on it?

I just love your quaint, cozy home and the charm of the old fashioned heaters. Did you paint them all that color or is that natural?

When are you going to find the time for this painting when school starts next week?

• organic_smallhome
    Original Author
    15 years ago

val: The shade gets a little hot. I had it on all last night (for my cat), and when I went in this morning to turn it off, the inside of the shade was just slightly warm.

Any soft greys to recommend?

The elephant pillow is HUGE, so I think it would overpower the lamp.

The heaters came that way. I've had people tell me that I should paint them the wall color. But it's too expensive to hire a plumber to remove them all (there are two in every room of the house) and too time-intensive to paint them.

School starts next week, but I have only one day of classes.

Thank you for your kind comments. They mean a lot.

• teeda_2006
    15 years ago

I love that lamp! It's the perfect size for next to the bed, and I think the background color and the blue accents works very well with the rug. I also like the blue floral pillow you selected.

I don't know why, but I can somehow picture a toile accent pillow on that bed. Sort of a rusty red. Or maybe a really vintage looking reproduction toile with some blues and reds in it. Not a lot of toile, just a touch.

I'm another lamp addict, and looking at that gorgeous lamp of yours is giving me cravings!

• patricianat
    15 years ago

I like the lamp, love the room, like the pillow with the room and you need something else with the art work. Do you have a single blue & white or red & white plate or some cremewear to pair with the picture, a couple inches above it to give it more "umph."

• les917
    15 years ago

Lamp is very cute! I like the fact that it doesn't match completely. I like the pillow you picked for the bed.

I would like the print coverlet folded one more time, so the scallop just barely hangs over the end of the bed. Right now there isn't enough of the white coverlet showing at the end to look right - it kind of feels like a slip that is showing.

I would think about painting the walls something close to the vanilla color that is in the center field background of the rug. I wouldn't do a too much yellow with the color of the floors. A creamy warm vanilla will set off the trim and the colors in the bedding, but leave the white matelasse feeling fresh and crisp by comparison.

Don't care for the pillow that is there now. Too soft in color tones compared to the strong colors in the bedding.

• User
    15 years ago

I love the lamp, and like where you have it, I would have to agree with Organic though, a soft blue grey color would promote calm, where yellow promotes energy. That said, if you use a really pale yellow it will definately look pretty.

• lovinlifesc
    15 years ago

Good morning! I adore that lamp, and in a guest room wouldn't worry about the shade overheating. I agree on changing the pillow for the one you posted. Perhaps a small red transferware vase or decorative piece on the nightstand will pull up some of the red you would like to the corner.

A soft buttery yellow would be pretty I think, but if you do consider a vanilla creamy color as Les suggested, I would recommend you look at Sears Easy Living Devonshire Cream. It looks just like the color name suggests. I have used that in 2 houses before and it's a very lovely vanilla color. Sears paints are good quality as well.

Gorgeous room, and I love your style! :-)

Susan

• patricianat
    15 years ago

Or you could just put one of those water bottle decanter thingies of crystal on the side table with your lamp atop a leatherbound (faux)book of poetry. You can get the water decanter thingies quite inexpensively on E-Bay and at Art & Artifact from time to time.

• patricianat
    15 years ago

Paint room. Show less of folded throw. Get a book of poetry. Set one of these on the book(s) or both of them. I think the are smallish.

{{!gwi}}

• organic_smallhome
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Oh wow. You guys have so many good ideas!

teeda: Are you reading my mind or something? I was thinking of the same kind of toile for the pillow!

patricia: I'm thinking that, in fact, I need to replace the artwork? It's a photograph of Spanish exteriors--doesn't really go with the room, do you think? I love your idea of transferware plates on the wall, instead, however. The side table is really small, so I'm not sure I even have enough room for a decanter. WHERE did you find the little brass/bronze birds? I would LOVE one of those set on top of the little book I already have there, which I highly recommend (see link). :)

lurkkiirish: Still working on the wall color, but think I'm going with an ivory of some sort.

les: What would I do without you to "fix" my coverlet dilemma. You gave the same advice to me about the end-of-bed coverlet in the MBR, which I fixed. Apparently, I'm a slow learner--lol. I agree about the vanilla/ivory color. my3dogs also suggested that. The pillow shall be changed. :)

Susan: Thanks for the Sears paint recommendation. I will get a sample of that, as well as of the Raffia Cream.

I'm *so* happy that everyone likes the lamp. Sometimes I think I overthink things. Thanks very much for all the considered responses, each one of which is very helpful.

Here is a link that might be useful: Why Cats Paint: A Theory of Feline Aesthetics

• lovinlifesc
    15 years ago

Patricia, I agree with you completely and if it was my room that's exactly what I would do. I wouldn't worry about anything red on the table especially with the new pillow. OSH did say that she wanted to bring some red to the table though, which was why I mentioned some transferware.

I love those birds! Can you please tell me where you found them? I'd like to purchase a pair.

Susan

• gbrenna
    15 years ago

I love the lamp really pretty. Also, I really like the pillow. I would by the light bulbs that are energy efficient-they don't get hot this is what I have in my lamps. I love them because they don't put much heat into the room.

• parma42
    15 years ago

"I would buy the light bulbs that are energy efficient".

You're preaching to the choir, there, lol.

(Just friendly teasing, gbrenna)...OS is know for her environmental enthusiasm. :)

• User
    15 years ago

Ivory will be really pretty, check out the raffia cream it has a yellow base and would probably do very well. Of course lighting will help determine that too. Good luck though, the room looks awesome!

• nanny2a
    15 years ago

I just love the room and think that while yellow is pretty, ha, ha, I better say that because that's all I have in my house), I agree with Les in that a soft, creamy vanilla would offset the other colors you have in the room, as well as make that darling lamp stand out more. I think yellow would wash out the tone of the lamp. Have you ever thought about making a cover for the radiator that would also serve as a seat or shelf? I'm posting a link to a site that might interest you, if you wanted to do this. My dad did this with all the old radiators in our old house, many, many years ago.

The pillow you chose is lovely, too, or the suggestion of some toile in there would also be delightful. I love the warmth of the room already, and can't wait to see a finished photo!

Heidi

Here is a link that might be useful: radiator covers

• cliff_and_joann
    15 years ago

That is a really nice lamp. Besides chairs and throw pillows, I love lamps!
    Joann

• patricianat
    15 years ago

I am sorry, I flaked out for a while, had to try to get the new light thingies changed out. Got new lighting to exchange for pendant lighting that bothered my eyes.

The birds are from (drum roll, please) Pierre Deux. :)

• parma42
    15 years ago

Nanny explained my original thoughts to you. I see yellow wherever I am and it clouds my judgement. I wouldn't want a yellow lamp on my walls because everything would be yellow. I'd need a cream lamp.

Les's suggestion of a warm cream was great but I have no examples of my own. The last time I used cream was years ago and it was Sears paint.

If you have your heart set on a yellow room though, just exchange the lamp for the cream one.

• organic_smallhome
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks again, everybody.

Nanny: Thanks for the link to the radiator covers. It might come in handy down the road. :)

gbrenna: I can't find a CFL small enough, and the lamp won't fit the smallest I have. It's okay in this case, I think, since the lamp is rarely on, anyway.

parma: I don't have my heart set on a yellow room, necessarily. But here's a link to the adorable bird pair.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pierre Deux Lovebirds

• organic_smallhome
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Okay, here's the lamp parma suggested I get, instead, if I go with yellow walls. Any votes: yellow lamp and ivory wall or yellow wall and cream lamp?

Here is a link that might be useful: Moustiers Lamp

• patricianat
    15 years ago

Organic, I have seen that Rafia paint and it does not have pink in it. It is somewhat of a buttery ivory yellow, very classy and not overdone. I don't know why it is showing up pink in the pictures that were posted, but it perhaps is like JohnMari said, some cameras skew pink.

I love the birds and think you need them. I would go to Books -a-Million (any big book store), look on the clearance counter, find a bird coffee table book (even a small sidetable book) and buy it, cut two pictures out that I love, frame them and stack them where you now have the one more Italian print. You could put them in cheap frames from Michael's, Hobby Lobby, etc., paint them red and then put gold rub-n-buff on them and "toothbrush" them with fly specks of a walnut glaze.

Put the birds on the cute kitty book and voila. Finis!

• organic_smallhome
    Original Author
    15 years ago

patricia: Good to know about the paint color. I LOVE your print ideas. As it happens, I already have a few bird prints, already matted--I just have to find frames. :)

Also: vote on which lamp?

• patricianat
    15 years ago

I like the lamp you have but the other lamp is equally beautiful. I think it comes down to your personal taste. Get what makes you smile when you see it! You know, kitties make me smile but so do beautiful lamps and I could live happily ever after with either/or. Having said that, there is something about the one you have that speaks to the bedding.