Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
obushnell

Double hung window choice - narrow grilles

obushnell
10 years ago

We're choosing a manufacturer to replace all the windows on an old farm renovation. We like the look of narrow grilles and rails. We've found a couple different manufacturers with 5/8" muntins which accomplish the narrow grilles. However, we haven't found much in terms of narrow rails (especially the meeting rail). Any suggestions? Thanks

Comments (9)

• Karateguy
    10 years ago

Sunrise and okna have a couple of the more narrow sash profiles that you will find.

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    10 years ago

Sunrise, Okna, and HiMark all have pretty narrow lines in all of their windows.

Soft-Lite has narrow lines in the Bainbridge/Barrington and the Imperial Pro.

• obushnell
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the recommendations above. It seems these are all manufacturers of vinyl windows, which I think naturally have a slimmer profile. I should have mentioned, we will be using wood windows. Any recommendations for wood windows with slim rails? Thank you

• millworkman
    10 years ago

Rails will be tough with wood as they are needed for strength. Grilles should not be an issue for Marvin or Kolbe. By "grilles" are you talking removeable wood or applied grilles (simulated divided light)?

• obushnell
    Original Author
    10 years ago

@millworkman

Thanks. Kolbe and Marvin were actually the two that jumped out at us when looking through options at a local showroom. So they are on our radar. I was hoping to see if there were any other brands we were missing out on. Eagle, Windsor, and Pella all seemed to be rather thicker.

In pictures I have come across, some of the JeldWen windows have seemed to have thinner rails, but I haven't seen them in person.

By grilles I meant the SDLs.

• millworkman
    10 years ago

Eagle, Windsor, Pella, and Jeldwen in my opinion are further down the food chain. Eagle is the closest in quality to Marvin and Kolbe (but still below quite a bit). The others I would not even consider in my honest opinion.

• millworkman
    10 years ago

Eagle, Windsor, Pella, and Jeldwen in my opinion are further down the food chain. Eagle is the closest in quality to Marvin and Kolbe (but still below quite a bit). The others I would not even consider in my honest opinion.

• HomeSealed
    10 years ago

I agree with Windows in Washington and KG on the vinyl choices, and with MWM on wood. Good advice above. :)

• brickeyee
    10 years ago

"old farm renovation"

How old?

It may be cost effective to restore the old windows and add storm windows.