Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nami_gw

Need ideas for blue and brown bedroom

nami
16 years ago

I know this combination is everywhere but my husband and I both like it because its serene yet interesting for a master bedroom.

I cant seem to find the bedding to start putting together the room from.

Should I pick primarily blue bedding and then add the brown in accent pillows and drapes? Or are brown drapes too much of brown.

I am lost!

Help me!

Comments (27)

• msrose
    16 years ago

Oh gosh, I know I've seen tons of blue & brown bedding because it always gets my attention. I'll have to do some looking and see if I can remember where I've seen it.

Laurie

• msrose
    16 years ago

Here's two of the bedding sets:

sablon damask from Linen Source
    {{!gwi}}

capri stripe from bed, bath, and beyond
    {{!gwi}}

Laurie

• msrose
    16 years ago

I'm still looking for a room that's decorated in brown and blue, but I haven't found one yet. Here's another bedding set.

renee jacquard from domestications
    {{!gwi}}

Laurie

• amykath
    16 years ago

I had saved this a while back. Here you go!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Blue and brown

• judithva
    16 years ago

I took these photos at a Home Show that I was at a few months ago.

• tracieb
    16 years ago

I was going to recommend the capri stripe bedding from bbb that msrose posted as well. I decorated a clients house with this bedding recently and it turned out beautifully. I don't have a pic of the room finished yet because we are still working on some details but that is some really lovely bedding.

TracieB

capri stripe from bed, bath, and beyond

• msrose
    16 years ago

Curtains from Penneys

{{!gwi}}

• Phobie Privett
    16 years ago

I got my slate blue bedding from bed, bath and beyond.
    {{!gwi}}
    But Dillards also has some beautiful bedding, can't remember the name of it, that comes in blue, brown or taupe, all can be mixed and matched. Liked it better, but wasn't willing to spend $800 on bedding.
    I have to say, I actually think it's going to be more difficult decorating around the blue comforter than it would be if the bedding had been brown or a combo of both. I'm planning on mixing it with brown or cream sheets, or something to break up all the blue. I would also take into consideration what color you prefer your walls to be. I'm going to put blue on the walls, but to be honest, I'm not convinced it's going to look right!
    There are some really pretty rooms on rate my space. Search there for blue and brown and then look on the top rated pics. Good luck!

• kitchendetective
    16 years ago

Horchow usually has a selection of linens with that combination.

Here is a link that might be useful: Horchow

• tinker1121
    16 years ago

I agree that the blue and brown combination is kind of trendy, but a very calming color combination for a bedroom.

Here is a room from JCP which is a little more neutral as has more beige so not quite the contrast of brown, but still very soft and serene in its look.
    {{!gwi}}

• dixiedo
    16 years ago

I saw the most stunning aqua/brown bedding sets at my local Marshalls and TJ Maxx.... they had tons of different sets as well as pillows. curtains, bath towels, accessories, etc etc to match. I would strongly urge you to at least give it a shot (Plus things are priced nicely to boot!!!).

Good Luck, I love that scheme!!

• sis3
    16 years ago

I am currently doing a guest bedroom with BM Woodlawn Blue walls, taupe quilt and shams, white sheets and pillows, and aqua blue accents such as decorative pillows. The floor is dark mahogany with PB Darby rugs which have a background of aqua blue and a pattern that has a lot of taupe in it. The furniture is dark wood (British Colonial style) and there are dark natural woven shades at the windows.

The adjoining bath has green/blue floor and wall tile and light taupe walls. Towels, plantation shutters, fixtures and accents in there are white. Furniture, picture frames and other wood or metal accents are dark brown.

I love the look so far, I think it is serene yet fresh.

• patricianat
    16 years ago

I was going to mention TJ Maxx, Marshalls and Home Goods but Dixiedo beat me to it. I was there this week. Run, don't walk before they are all gone. Great prices and merchandise.

• sherry326
    16 years ago

I know Kohls carries a couple of different ones - their website seems to be down right now. I have a set that's a very light brown with just a little bit of silver sage in it for trim rather than blue. I got it at Marshalls, $30 for the entire king comforter, shams bedskirt - SUCH a deal.

• tinker1121
    16 years ago

Sis3, your project sounds beautiful. Have any pics?

• sis3
    16 years ago

Thank you Tinker! Photos soon I promise!

• meg711
    16 years ago

superchick,

Just a warning about that bedding because we have the same set in another color. Make sure that the comforter's outside layers are tacked to the stuffing before you take it to be dry cleaned. Our first set was not tacked so the stuffing shifted and clumped. The comforter came back a lumpy mess but, luckily, BB&B exchanged it for another set. We haven't had this one dry cleaned yet but we're keeping our fingers crossed.

• nhb22
    16 years ago

I watched a show on HGTV last night that featured a blue and brown bedroom.
    http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/dc_design_bedroom/article/0,1793,HGTV_3366_5683302,00.html

• patricianat
    16 years ago

From Bombay Company

• nami
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I really appreciate all the ideas. I liked one that i saw in the new JC Penney catalog, please check the link at the end of this post.

If I get this bedding I would use throw pillows in brown to break up all the blue.

But if I cant paint the walls a blue or a brown, how would I tie in all the colors in the room.

Thanks,
    Nami

Here is a link that might be useful: Blue and Brown bedding from JCP

• monicakm_gw
    16 years ago

I'm doing my master bedroom in brown and a muted aqua. One accent wall in ICI's Light Chocolate. Very similar to SW's Cobblestone Brown. The other three walls will be SW's Watery (maybe Quietude). Trim will be a soft light creamy color. Since I don't do big foo-foo comforter sets anymore (but I LOVE those above!), I found a perfect "quilt ensemble" (quilt and shams) in the same muted aqua. Target of all places :) The master bath will be an ivory travertine with sand colored walls and "sea tones" glass tiles for accent and a dark "espresso" stained vanity that will play off the chocolate wall in the bedroom. Giallo Ornamental granite on the vanity is creamy/sandy and brown tones. SURE hope it all looks as good in reality as it does in my head! (g)
    BTW, chocolate brown and light blue were in my fall wedding colors 27 years ago! I was SO happy to see it emerge as popular combination.
    Monica

• tess_5b
    16 years ago

I was watching Sarah Richardson's new show yesterday "Sarah's House" (HGTV Canada did a marathon) and she did her master bedroom in blue/cream/brown and I thought it was really nice. I've linked photos from HGTV below.

tess

Here is a link that might be useful: Sarah's House Master Bedroom

• blondiel
    16 years ago

Beautiful blue and chocolate. I could not get the picture to cut and paste. I have not used this company.

http://www.touchofclass.com/product/bed+%26+bath/comforters/patterned+comforters/athens+comforter+set.do#

• magpie_mcnuppit
    16 years ago

I recently purchased a new duvet cover/sheet set in chocolate brown and a silvery light blue. It is GORGEOUS and I'm really happy with it, but I don't know what accent color to use with it. Should I just stick with a strict blue/brown scheme? I want an accent color that will add some pop to it so it's not so conservative. Any suggestions?

The link below is for the same duvet set on Ebay. I couldn't find a picture of the pattern anywhere else.

http://cgi.ebay.com/BELLA-LUX-CHOC-BROWN-BLUE-TOILE-DUVET-SHAMS-F-QUEEN-N_W0QQitemZ150175171762QQihZ005QQcategoryZ37644QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

• meg711
    16 years ago

I've been looking at tons of blue and brown things. Many of the rooms I see in magazines use those two colors with a camel/tan or rust.

• meltnaz
    16 years ago

Try a bright, rich pumpkin orange. Since brown is a derivative of orange it is technically a complementary color scheme...that is why blues and browns work so well together. Or to be really daring try a granny smith or lime green...Fun!

• gerwig44
    16 years ago

judithva, do you know where those beautiful bedspreads are available that you took pictures of at the home show you attended?