Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bossyvossy

Coating on my MI replacement window is deteriorating

bossyvossy
10 years ago

we were washing windows today and noticed splatters on the window. at first we thought it was exterior dirt. then, we checked the inside and nope. We can see that the damage is inside, like a coating is breaking down. Can somebody tell me what is happening? Sorry I can't be more technical, but the damage reminds me of what happens when the mercury coating behind a mirror degrades.

Have 17 windows, damage has been observed in only one place on the east side of the house. Window is by Betterbilt, a sub of MI. picture window, double paned, loE with argon gas. Cost for windo $400 in 2009

thanks for your help. we haven't looked at the warranty very closely but a quick read says 20 years, Framing is aluminum. In Houston TX area I'm tired of seeing vinyl products such as windows and fences and even those new-fangled composite decks look all dried up and like crap in 5 yrs or less because of extreme sun. That's why we went with aluminum

Comments (5)

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    10 years ago

Probably failed low-e.

Post up a picture and call your manufacturer.

There is no repair for this and the glass must be replaced.

• oberon476
    10 years ago

+1 WoW

Pictures would be very helpful, but it does sound like the coating may have been damaged at some point prior to being enclosed in the IG resulting in the deterioration that you are seeing.

Like WoW said, call the window company, this sounds like a simple warranty issue.

• bossyvossy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

thanks for posting. I tried to take pics, this was hard for me to explain but glass is too reflective and have not been able to capture damage.

Out of curiosity, are there not any quality control protocols to determine coating damage before leaving factory? Is this negligence or "things happen" kindad issue. I'm asking, in case I need to be super alert with other windows. So far we've been very happy with the savings resulting from the new windows, installation and the overall comfort in our house.

If anybody has heard of this co, pls share your comments. Don't know if relevant, but work was done thru lowes, with WI windows and a local installer, not lowes.

• oberon476
    10 years ago

Without actually seeing what's happening with the coating it's pretty tough to determine whether or not whatever happened should have been caught or whether it's just a "things happen" issue.

I wouldn't worry about the other windows, LowE failures (assuming that's what it is) are pretty rare without extenuating circumstances.

This post was edited by oberon on Thu, Aug 1, 13 at 17:20

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    10 years ago

Glass and windows are subjected to a bunch of forces beyond even the most comprehensive quality control measures.

The damage that created the issue could have been from any number of factors.

The reflection on the company has less to do with the fact that their was a failure and more to do with how they choose to handle the repair and service.

Everybody makes mistakes...how you handle them is what kind of entity you are.