Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
natesgram_gw

Kitchen help please

natesgram
10 years ago

This is the kitchen in our new fixer, with previous owner's decor. We have access to it in 10 days. When I first saw the kitchen I hated the way they painted the wall color on the wood between the kitchen cabinet doors. It looks like a striped room. It's the same wall color as the soffits/walls. We won't be able to totally redo this kitchen for a few years so in the meantime I thought I would paint the color between the door in the same white. Is this the right thing to do? The flooring is a white tile although it looks more greige in the picture. I am putting in a new ss fridge and range. The wall and soffits are being replaced with a lighter color. I want to keep the existing doors for now as they are in good condition and I will add new knobs. So, I guess what I'm asking is, will this be too much white? The paint between the doors is bad isn't it, or is it just me?

My other thought if this will be too much white (cabinets and floor) would be to use a large colorful rug. Thoughts or suggestions appreciated.

Comments (18)

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

I could see painting the frames white to match the doors as well as any soffits with cabs below them so the kitchen won't look squatty...the eye will see white cabs and soffit all they way to the ceiling and not stop at the soffit if it is a different color. Then paint the walls and BS the color of your choice.

• ellendi
    10 years ago

Interesting kitchen! I don't think I have ever seen this. I agree to paint it all white and then find a nice color for the walls.

• palimpsest
    10 years ago

Their method would have worked better if the reveals around all the cabinet doors and drawers were the same instead of all different widths.

I agree, paint the cabinets matching the doors, consider painting the soffit above the cabinets to match the cabinets., Then choose a wall color.

• natesgram
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I hadn't thought of painting the soffits white. Thank you. Now I just need to pick a wall color.

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

I don't think that it's too much white at all, especially since your counters are dark.
    I don't even mind the green wall color. But I have to say that the weirdest look are the white drawers floating in space.

One other thing: The microwave looks humongous and kind of low, or is that the perspective?

• bonniee818
    10 years ago

I just moved in a house and painted cabinets& up all the way to the ceiling in white . It really makes the ceiling seem higher. Used a wallpaper and beadboard wallpaper in other areas of the breakfast room since wallpaper was stuck with cement in this house. I painted the beadboard wallpaper a green in the wallpaper underneath the chairrail for more color in breakfast room and key spots in the kitchen but left the cabinet wall all white. Sometimes you just have to wing your decisions on the way it turns out and your instincts. Good luck!

• natesgram
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Actually the humongous looking microwave is really another oven. It's all original 1970's. That will all go. I've already purchased a new range/micro combo and all appliances will be replaced.

The current wall color isn't green as it looks in the pictures, it's more like a yellow/cream. The color is ok, just not between the cabinets, and I want a different color from the existing.

Bonnie, do you have any pictures? My kitchen open's up to a den/diningroom. That area has me really puzzled. I'll post pictures when it's finally empty.

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

Woah, I've never seen an oven above a range.

• palimpsest
    10 years ago

Samantha had one on Bewitched. The eye-level second oven was a big deal in the 1960s. The Frigidaire Flair was one example, There were a number of variations

• texasgal47
    10 years ago

Ah, that florescent lime green and bright orange does bring back some memories. The 70's were not exactly my finest decorating moments. Oh the tales I could tell. But back to the OP's kitchen which looks tame in comparison to that era. Your kitchen could also use some texture. Everything looks like slick shiny surfaces. Some rugs may not be a bad idea.

• natesgram
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'd never seen anything like it either. Thanks for the picture, lol. The previous owner didn't even have the vent pipe attached. We'll be fixing that too.

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

Well, you know, you could forget the previous advice and go for the Bewitched kitchen.

• natesgram
    Original Author
    10 years ago

LOL, if I could twitch my nose like Samantha, I'd be done with the whole remodel. Oh, I wish!

• Tmnca
    10 years ago

The cottage we rented for several years had a range like that, everyone thought it was a microwave. It was actually kinda convenient to have the small over in fact we rarely used the full sized one!

I agree with painting the face frames and soffits all white, it will look MUCH better! Maybe new hardware too - I got great brushed nickel knobs on amazon for $1 each.

• geokid
    10 years ago

I almost gasped when I saw this post. My grandma recently passed away and my uncle is now living in and remodeling her house. Of course one of the first things he did was get rid of her vintage stove. I didn't know what it was until now: a Frigidaire Flair! I loved the oven at eye level and the pull out range. I was devastated to hear that he got rid of it.

• User
    10 years ago

Dumb question of the day - When you refer to sofits are you talking about the bulkhead or just the under side of them. Or are sofits the same as a bulkhead?

• User
    10 years ago

Dumb question of the day - When you refer to sofits are you talking about the bulkhead or just the under side of them. Or are sofits the same as a bulkhead?

• palimpsest
    10 years ago

They are the same thing, the whole dropped portion, front,side, and bottom.