Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jodette

Can you identify this wood

Jodi Collins
11 years ago

Hello,
I wonder if anyone can identify the wood on this dresser. Also, any guess as to the era of this piece?

Thank you,
Jodi

Here is a link that might be useful: My dresser

Comments (10)

• User
    11 years ago

Looks like it might be hickory.

No idea on the date of the piece. The casters look 50 or 60ish and the dovetails look machine cut(probably half blind).

• Jodi Collins
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you handymac for your response. I appreciate it.

• BungalowPhil
    11 years ago

Not Hickory... Maple. 90% sure. The top right drawer has a curly maple front. The soft grain pattern and slight blotching (was it ever refinished?) is indicative of maple.

• lazy_gardens
    11 years ago

The overall style - with the Lyre-shaped mirror support - is late 19th and early 20th century mass produced dresser ... 1890s up to 1920s or so. They show up in the Sears catalogs.

If they were well built they are still useful and attractive.

Are the casters wood?

• Jodi Collins
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes, the casters are wood.

• Jodi Collins
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I found a tag attached to the dresser:

FROM
    NORTHERN FURNITURE COMPANY
    SHEBOYGAN WISCONSON

MINNEAPOLIS BEDDG CO
    MINNEAPOLIS MINN

?787 FOR F A BUTTERY CO

• lazy_gardens
    11 years ago

http://en.wikicollecting.org/northern-furniture-company-formerly-mattoon-manufacturing-co

The name change puts an earliest possible date as 1904/5 and a latest possible date as 1949 And it UPGRADES the quality considerably.

http://digicoll.library.wisc.edu/cgi-bin/WI/WI-idx?id=WI.NorthFurn1927 They list the woods they use, and the details of construction - this was a catalogue sent to retailers. Note the wide variety of styles and finishes - and the high-end details like dustproofed drawers and hand-painted medallions.

Look through the bedroom section and see if you recognize the mirror holder's shape.

The customer's name ... FA Buttery CO shows up in a 1922 list of attendees to a NY furniture exhibition.

It looks a bit mission-y in the carcase section - straight lines and panels ... you might also find it in this catalog:

http://archive.org/details/missionfurniture00nort

• sombreuil_mongrel
    11 years ago

I don't think they could brag about their wood-matching prowess even it it was built like a tank. Either it was originally veneered, or had a painted finish. You can't sell furniture with such a mishmash of grain and stay in business.
    Casey

• lazy_gardens
    11 years ago

Casey - Quite a bit of their catalog has maple hand-grained to look like quarter-sawn oak.

This may have been one of them.

• Jodi Collins
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone for your replies. I searched through some old online catalogs suggested by lazygardens. I haven't found the exact dresser but I enjoy hunting.