Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
liptonjl

Family room in need of decorating help!

liptonjl
13 years ago

Well I am slowly going room by room trying to decorate. I have got some fantastic help for some of my other rooms and now I'm hoping I can get some ideas for what's considered our family room.

The pics are older, the only difference is that we have a pack and play (for our baby) next to the tv and the chair is now gone. Just the loveseat and the sectional remain. I am in the process of re-doing the fireplace mantle based on the recommendations I received here, so I'm mostly looking for help with the rest of the room - but if you have a suggestion about the fireplace, please add as well.

Thank you for your ideas, I love them ;)
{{!gwi}}From House
{{!gwi}}From House
{{!gwi}}From House

Just found a more recent pic and I added one of my father in law but above him you can see the only thing on the wall above the love seat, a framed picture of woods.
{{!gwi}}From House
{{!gwi}}From House

Comments (6)

• natal
    13 years ago

What a great room! Looks very comfy.

What do you want to change? Are you in the market for more furniture? The coffee table appears a bit large. Do you need something that big?

I think the art above the TV is hanging way too high. Probably not the best place for it anyway.

How's the kitchen coming along? Did you add some touches of color?

• saltnpeppa
    13 years ago

Hi! You have a beautiful home. Your fp is beautiful. I am wondering if you could move the tv where the loveseat is now & put the long part of the sectional on the back wall? Then you could pull the chair back in at an angle in front of the fp. That way you could enjoy tv & the fp?

As far as the coffee table....when your little one starts moving around, you'll probably want to have open floor space. When mine was little, I took mine out & really enjoyed the big space & not worrying about him bonking his head. An upholstered ottoman in a cool fabric would be nice, too.

Then two big art panels on each side of the tv with 2 chairs that could be pulled in for extra seating for company.

Smiles:)

• bleigh
    13 years ago

I agree with scooby about moving the TV to wall where the loveseat is and moving the sectional to the back wall. Seems like it would make much more sense to be able to focus the room on the fireplace and the TV. As it is the FP is blocked off by the sectional. You then could take the art you currently have over the TV and lower it behind the sectional (if you choose to move it). Would ditch the loveseat and add a chair or two. I personally LOVE the large coffee table. For some reason, I hate a small one for a sectional. I never removed any furniture for my babies and they navigated just fine...although the shape of your table legs might make cruising a bit difficult. When the little one starts moving about you might just push that table off to the side for a few months, but I love it and think you should keep it.

Look forward to seeing what you do with this space!

• les917
    13 years ago

I think it is a shame that so much of your seating ignores the lovely fireplace!

I would try moving the sectional so that the corner of the sectional is down in the far right corner of the room, away from the windows. The back of the couch appears lower, so I would have that in front of the windows. Put the tv in the other corner, by the windows, angled.

Bring back the chair and angle it in front of the fireplace, on the left side so it faces the windows.

Bring the tree branch art down, as it is currently hung way too high, and move it so that it is hanging over the part of the sectional on that end wall. Space the panels a few inches further apart for a more interesting feel.

I think the coffee table is unique, but it does have a rather commanding presence in the space. Plus, as the baby starts to crawl and toddle, you are likely to want more open floor space.

Have you considered bringing in a warm shade as an accent color? Some touches of orange or coral could be very pretty.

You have a very pretty and friendly space. The little tweaks will make it feel finished.

• liptonjl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I agree that the TV would be better somewhere else so the fireplace isn't hidden by the sectional. I didn't consider angling it, that might work. The problem is that if I put it on the wall where the loveseat is, when we try to watch tv during the day, there's a major glare, even with the shades down. We don't get a lot of natural light in there without those windows exposed so I hate to cover the windows.

I didn't even realize that the art above the tv is too high - I definitely need to move that somehow.

Do you think the canvas tree art (set of 3) would look good on the fireplace mantle?

natal - I actually have done a few things with the kitchen and I will post some pics soon. It's not majorly colorful but I did get over some of my fears and add a few things! I'll be excited to see what you think.

• vampiressrn
    13 years ago

That coffee table is all wrong....and with kids will be a disaster. Please send it to me immediately as it will look fabulous in my family room.

Your home is beautiful. :-)