Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_20103024

Issue with Sidelites for Door/Sidelites Replacement

User
9 years ago

I am replacing my steel entry door along with its narrow sidelites on either side. The current frames of the door/sidelites are rotted and in rough shape. The current steel entry door is a hollow, cheap builders special. I am excited to go with Home Guard. My steel entry door and sidelites are plain, the door will be the 6-panel solid "S1" model.

It is very important that the door and sidelites match what my HOA dictates for design, paint color (a custom color), and size. An issue is arising with the size of the sidelites. When my townhome development was built in the early '90's, the sidelites for all townhomes were installed as direct-set sidelites, the glass glazed into the jamb on site. So they were custom. The glass is 12" wide. However, sidelites for the size of the opening that I have come standard with 10" glass. I have called a few other door companies, and they all say that sidelites for my size opening can only have 10" glass.

Initially Home Guard said they could customize and do 12" glass for my sidelites, but now they are saying that's not possible, and can only do 10" glass. I've asked around my neighbors, and many have replaced their entry doors, but no one has replaced the sidelites. I must, because the frames are so rotted. Do you guys have any suggestions on how I can meet my HOA's requirements that my sidelites match the development's original sidelites which are 12" glass?

This post was edited by Sahmmy on Mon, Dec 1, 14 at 12:28

Comments (5)

• mmarse1
    9 years ago

I've done work in a number of town homes and dealt with the most picky associations and i can tell you this.. Whenever i had a situation such as yours where the glass on the side lite was a tad too small or too large( 2"), we NEVER had a problem. We had one association that said no and the homeowner to us to do the install anyway which we did. The association didnt even notice. The dumb thing to do is tell them the glass may be a bit wider or smaller, then they may get hyper focused on something they may never had noticed. Remember, a townhouse association has about as much authority as the " North Dakota snow ball association".

This post was edited by mmarse1 on Mon, Dec 1, 14 at 11:53

• HomeSealed_WI
    9 years ago

The amount of viewable glass will vary by manufacturer, so that should really be a non-issue. If you are replacing the door/sidelites with the proper style, color, size (meaning total unit size) to meet HOA requirements, they really can't ask for anything more.

As Mmaserl said, I'd not engage in any discussion about glass differences, etc. Just supply a work order showing the 36" door, 12 sidelites (full or half view or whatever), and the appropriate colors and style. *IF*, it is something that they brought up in the first place, I don't think it would be out of line to request a variance. A factory assembled unit will offer a substantially better finished product (appearance AND performance) than sidelites that are cobbled together by a local glass shop.

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    9 years ago

+1

I can't say that I have ever dealt with an HOA (I know they are out there) that has measured sidelite glass.

It will vary by manufacturer, door construction era, glass type, etc.

You should be able to call the dealer and have them give you an accurate measurement on the door.

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you everyone. I know that the door I have ordered is identical, so I don't worry about that, and you have eased my mind about the sidelites.

• bpchiil
    9 years ago

As a member of the board of directors in the association in which I live, I, for one, continually have to remind other board members that we are in a continuously changing world - materials and designs do not stay the same. HOA's need to allow variances to accommodate these changes

Glad that you found a door that will fit the bill for you.

mmarse - with all due respect sir, most HOA's have more authority than you are giving them credit. I am surprised that you did work in an association without express written consent from the board. Here in our association, you would not be so lucky.