Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amarina_z

Waaaaay over my head with window install... gaping hole... help!

amarina_z
14 years ago

Hi folks...

Us stupid DIYers decided to add another window to our 1914 bungalow this weekend where an old door used to be. The window is wider than the door was, so we have to fill in the hole underneath the new window, and cut out some of the siding etc. to fit the new width of the window.

The house is framed with 2x4, so we built our window frame with 2x4s, cut the hole, framed it, and popped the window in. However, we have NO IDEA what to do next to ensure our window doesn't leak.

The first layer of siding is stucco, under which is a layer of chicken wire, which is nailed and completely fused onto some 7/16" particle board. Underneath that we have two layers of tongue and groove 1x12s, mounted on to the 2x4 framing. There's pictures of the cross section of my disaster at the link below.

I was originally planning to just remove 6" or so of stucco from around the window, assumed I would find tar paper (felt paper) underneath, overlap my new tar paper, restucco it, and call it a day. However, the stucco is absolutely fused to the particle board underneath, and I can't find a single layer of tar paper anywhere, not on any of the old layers. (Yet the house is very dry).

How the heck to we keep the water out? We live in a very wet west coast climate (Victoria BC).

Thanks in advance for your help!!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Pictures of my disaster

Comments (2)

• mtamta
    14 years ago

Hi,
    I looked at your photos's...I found them confusing.

Consider using Ice and Water shield around your window to seal it from the outside. Usually on a new window insatll we would make sure there was a window cap on top and then we would fold Ice and water around all 2x4 edges so that the are where the window goes in completly waterproffed. Then I'd use GEOCELL cauling to calking 2x4 seams and the window frame onto the Ice/water. This will make it waterproof.

On the stucco, I'm not an expert....sorry.

• mcsbldr
    14 years ago

Hi Robyn,
    I believe that your first photo shows the window anchored through the flange and directly into the 2x4 stud. This is not a correct window installation, as the window flange should over-lay the wall sheathing (i.e. the 1x12 slabs). Your window is simply installed too deep into the wall. There are a couple different ways to remedy the installation.

The first is a more complicated approach, as it includes purchasing metal flashing that will tuck beneath and around the window and extend outward to cover the void between the window and exterior facade. This flashing may require custom fabrication, which makes it more complicated.

The second is an easier approach, and includes removing the window and reinstalling it over the complete wall assembly (i.e. 2x4 stud + the two layers of 1x12 sheathing). The window flange should only sit just beneath the stucco and stucco backing-board. This information assumes that the window you've chosen has a dimension of approximately 1" from the flange to the exterior face of the window. You'll need to "furr-out" the area of 1x12 that you've removed.

Don't forget to place a piece of metal flashing above the window, and some type of sill nosing at the bottom of the window. The head flashing should be metal and shaped like an "L". One leg of the "L" should tuck up behind the stucco and stucco backing-board and divert water from getting in the area on top of the window between the window frame and stucco. The sill nosing (flashing at the sill) should tie into a groove on the exterior of the window frame and divert water from entering the area below the window and between the stucco (this flashing is sometimes referred to as a sill pan).

I hope this brief explanation is helpful.