Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pattyxlynn

Gallery Wall Advice Please

pattyxlynn
12 years ago

I'm looking for some help with my gallery wall. I am so indecisive when it comes to decorating the walls, I go forever without anything up at all. Finally I told myself enough is enough. You can always take it back down!

This started with the big red one in the middle. It is an embroidery my MIL made for me when I was newly married (that's her in the oval frame). It was in a simple brown frame. Last year I painted the frame red and also painted some store art red and glued it on. My question with this one is, does it need another frame around the outside? Do I need to paint the outside a different color? There are other reds on the wall that are close to the same color so it does coordinate some. I'm just not sure.

The one on the hutch bottom (from my great aunt) needs to be framed and will go up beside my wedding pic. Or... do you think I can paint the edges and hang as is? It is by the same artist as the church painting on the far right. My Great Aunt and Uncle bought that while visiting us in Rio de Janeiro when I was a kid.

Above my MIL & FIL, is the inside of the clock that now has a picture of my Grandfather and Great Uncle (top far left). Above the clock is art my DIL made for me. Next to that is a church my Mom made when we lived in Rio (late 60's early 70's). Do you think it needs to be re-framed?

To the left of "big Red" are pictures of my son when he was little and next to that a hunting scene I had in another room. I would like to get non-glare glass for these three but have no idea where to buy it. Any ideas?

On top of the hunt scene is the picture of my Uncle and Grandfather. I painted a piece of cardboard a dark, thick (with texture) red to go behind the picture. I think it looks neat in the old clock frame with the glass, but am not too sure about it being an 8x10.5 in a circle frame. Not sure how to fix that. Any ideas?

Or should I just leave it all as is? I know, so many questions! LOL Thanks for all help.

Patty

Comments (11)

• deeinohio
    12 years ago

I like it very much, and I think the framing looks fine, at least from what I can tell from a distance. It's obviously a display of things you love. My only suggestion would be to find photos of your DS in some type of natural photo, rather than posed. But, even as it is, it's a very interesting, personal display.
    Dee

• terezosa / terriks
    12 years ago

I'd like to see everything placed a bit closer together. I also like dee's suggestion to use casual, rather than posed photos.

• User
    12 years ago

Overall, I think it looks good. However, for some reason my eyes do keep coming back to the pictures of your DS. I know there's white other places in the gallery but I think it's because of the stark white mats.

I really like your hunt scene picture.

Hoping other people with good eyes chime in.

• patty_cakes
    12 years ago

You have a nice collection of family photos/decorative pictures. It may be just me, but I like to keep the two in separate displays, family grouping on one wall/setting on table, and decorative pictures in a different space. Re:family pictures, I feel it makes them seem more special when they're placed by themselves. Just my 2 cents. ;o)

• differentdreamer
    12 years ago

The hunt scene on the left looks out of place, and it causes the 'group' to extend too far past the focus of the sideboard. I'd instead move that round of your Grandfather and uncle into that space - maybe so that the right-most edge is about where the hunt scene is now. It ties the other round objects together more. The two photos of DS are ok (as far as being posed) but I'm not sure about the matchy-matchy frames. Can the top one go into an oval frame to balance the oval frame of the in-laws? I kind of feel like the painting on the right - of the church - also feels a little tacked on and makes the grouping too wide, but there's something about that one that 'feels' more like it belongs in the group than the hunt scene does.

• cindyloo123
    12 years ago

Definitely think you should move everything closer together. That was my very first observation.

My second observation was that while I love the Hunt scene, it does not "go" in this grouping.

I would only use one picture of DS. I think two pics of him compete with each other for attention.

You've done a great job of balancing the weight of the pics.

• leafy02
    12 years ago

I also thought first and foremost that the pictures are all too far apart. I would move them all closer to each other. My other suggestion would be to not have both photos of your son right next to or on top of each other. It will help create more balance with the overall composition if they are diagonal from each other or on "opposite sides" of an imaginary center line.

And I salute you for making the tremendous step of getting stuff hung--I have about twelve pictures propped up on my buffet waiting for me to find an arrangement on the wall that I like. I've been living here almost 3 years!

• dakota01
    12 years ago

Can you please share the color of your walls? I really the color.
    I can't give advise on your gallery wall - as I have no real experience w/them.
    I would probably add some other "artifacts" to the mix. I agree w/another poster that the white is to white. Why not change mat to a soft cream. I also love your hunt scene.

• ttodd
    12 years ago

I think that it looks wonderful as is! If you really wanted to change anything at this time and would like to do so quickly and inexpensively I think that you could change the mats in DS's pictures to a cream or something.

I like the spacing as is - I think that it draws your eye from one wall to the other. As time goes on and you acquire additional pieces that you would lik eto plug in you could move them closer together.

I love the mixed media, the casual grouping - in all if I were to walk into your space I would feel welcome, immediately at home and would start asking you questions about your art, where/ how you acquired pieces and who the people are. I think you have a great conversation starter going on there! Well done!

• pattyxlynn
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you so much everybody! First I will change the mat color in DS's pictures. I think I have some but if not, out come the paints! Next I'm going to look for some more casual pictures of him and probably change one to someone else. I can see how the hunt scene doesn't tie in with the others so I've an idea. I have some really good photos from a civil war re-enactment on horseback that I will frame to see if it ties in more. I do want to expand it a little so the Church painting won't seem so stuck on. I have a long skinny black table that I'm thinking of putting there. It is much wider than the hutch base.

Most of these are hung with the 3M strips so re-positioning them will be fairly easy. I love those things!

Thanks again, I really appreciate everybody's eye and comments. :)

Patty

• ellenm08
    12 years ago

I like what you have started and agree that I would tighten it up a bit. I found an article that might help you out a bit just with general ideas.
    Here's a similar look combining portraits and scenes:

[modern dining room design[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/modern-dining-room-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_722~s_2105) by cincinnati media and blogs VisuaLingual

Here is a link that might be useful: [A Gallery Wall for Every Personality[(https://www.houzz.com/magazine/a-gallery-wall-for-every-personality-stsetivw-vs~538039)