Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nadine33_gw

New rug is here..not sure how I feel about it...

nadine33
15 years ago

So the rug that Iordered just got here. It is definitely a burgundy color. I guess I just thought it would be a bit more red but it is definitely not red. I'm going to have to rethink curtain color as a red color won't work. You can see our red/rust color chair clashes pretty bad. I'm planning on replacing the chair, just haven't found anything I like yet. What do u guys think of the rug? (keep in mind we'll be getting a black/dark TV stand, just waiting for some sales) I know it's not centered perfectly, the carpet pad is still on it's way so we'll have to move it again anyway. There are quite a few waves still in it that will hopefully flatten out. This was an Overstock purchase.

my kids wrestling/testing it out!

Comments (36)

• phoggie
    15 years ago

I think that the rug goes nicely with the color of the sofa and chair (or at least in the pic).....and it doesn't even look too badly with the red chair since it is not actually sitting on it.
    Personally, I like the rug...but I don't have to live with it if it bothers you.

• squirrelheaven
    15 years ago

Very pretty rug. Is that the same ps'd pic? I prefer a burgundy in there and the red of the lower pic looks too red/bright to me. I think the pattern looks too large and bold for the room. but maybe when everything else is in there it will read differently. Curious what others will think.

• Valerie Noronha
    15 years ago

I tend to agree with squirrel on this one. I'd prefer to see one size smaller rug in that room, though perhaps it's just the placement that is off. Can you move it closer to the entertainment center so that it's more centered with respect to the FP? I think the color may work OK with your chair--esp. if you add a throw and/or pillow on the chair to break up the solid look.

• paint_chips
    15 years ago

I like that it is darker too. A bright red would not have been as grounding. Plus, red with green walls would have been Christmas-like whereas your colors of grey-green and burgundy feel more sophistocated.

Instead of buying a black tv stand, have you considered just replacing the tv with one that hangs on the wall? It would give you more floor space and might be about the same price as a tv stand.

• laurience
    15 years ago

I think the rug matches nicely. Once you get a few accent colors it will be fine.

Joanne

• User
    15 years ago

I really like the rug. Accent pillow on the red chair would help tie it in. Doesn't look too off on my monitor. Again if it does bother you I'd get a different one.

• johnatemp
    15 years ago

You seem to have some reservations about the rug....if so, I would send it back. I would rather have what I love than have to work around a major part of the room that I didn't love.

I think you could make it work but it seems a little formal for your room & lifestyle with youngins' around.

Hang with it for a few days & see how you feel.

Smiles:)

• caroline94535
    15 years ago

Hi Nadine; I can't really offer much help on the rug, other than it's lovely, but I think it needs to be bigger.

Could you tell me the dimensions of your room? It's very similar to mine, except I don't have a beautiful fireplace and two little wrestlers !). My room is long and narrow and I'm having a hard time making any of my old furniture "fit."

• patricianat
    15 years ago

This seems to be one of those rooms where two rugs might work better than one. What about sending that back, getting something smaller and maybe two smaller rugs so you can divide the room sotaspeak. It looks like it needs to be bigger, no smaller, no I think it needs two smaller rugs and I am not real fond of the color with your furniture although I love the rug. I just feel that it is not right for the furnishing and I think you feel the same way.

• atheymd
    15 years ago

Pretty rug; the colors look fine (on my pc); I think it just needs centered in the room. That may be all it needs for you to warm up to it (and living with it awhile).

• nadine33
    Original Author
    15 years ago

SO the room is 20' by 10.5', and the rug is 8x 11.5. I can't imagine getting a smaller rug (5x7) as I think that would feel tiny as far as length goes.
    This is my first oriental style rug so maybe that's why I'm not sure how I feel about it. IT's the same one I photoshopped in another thread and I thought it looked great. Granted my current furniture is pretty old and out of style, but we're working on that too! :)
    I thought about 2 rugs, but I don't really want to break the room up into 2 spaces. I tried all kinds of furniture set-ups and this one seemed to keep the room the most open.
    I looked at it more this morning with natural light and it's growing on me.
    Plus I keep trying to imagine new furniture in there too. I'm just still looking for the right chairs. We'll probably get a new couch at some point too, but most likely in the same color as it's been great hiding stains.
    Thanks for all the opinions. Now I just need to save some more $$ for the furniture!
    On a side note, I'll be looking at samples for the stair runner today. I'm thinking a deep green is the way to go for that (I'm doing a solid color carpet not oriental) as our upstairs rug also has a little bit of green in there. Opinions?

• Valerie Noronha
    15 years ago

If you don't want to go smaller and given the length I can see why you would not, try centering the rug widthwise so that there is an equal amount of hardwood floor showing to either side--approx 12".

• IdaClaire
    15 years ago

I think the colors are perfect, but as Valinsv suggests, I'd like to see it centered widthwise in the room.

• cliff_and_joann
    15 years ago

Is returning the rug an option? My family room is 14 1/2' x
    22' in the area where my rug is... and I have a 6 x 9 in there. ( a 6 x 9 is an unusual size --most common size is 5 x 8)I wanted a lot of wood to show...wood floors are beautiful, why not show them? I have lots of space between the rug and the sofa, and the TV which across from the sofa ...I also have a FP on the same wall as yours. As a matter of fact my room is laid out similar to yours.
    Your room is narrow and would look much better with a 5 x 8 rug, in my opinion. Don't be afraid to show the floors...My rug floats in the middle of the floor, although everything you read states that a floating rug is a no no...I think it looks good...Oh, I forgot, my hound dog anchors the rug:)as well as two brunch tables. I also have a 5 x 8 in my LR, like I said I want the wood floors to show...

I do like your rug choice though, and think the rug is pretty and goes well with your furniture, however it looks a little squeezed in there.
    I suggest you go to a store and buy a 5 x 8 (a store like home depot) just to try out the size. Then if you like the size, return the rug and look for a rug you really like in the smaller size.
    It's only a suggestion, just wanted you to
    know that the big size rug is not your only option.
    Joann

• nadine33
    Original Author
    15 years ago

will recenter tonight, hopefully rug pad will have arrived today.
    I'm now baffled with curtain options though, my original red idea is now shot. When I photoshopped this rug, the pic was more of a brick red/burgundy color not this vibrant burgandy so I guess I Need to make some adjustments. ON a side note, it feels very nice and was definitely a good price ($270)
    While I love the hardwood my kids need a good size area to play on, and the hardwood is actuallly quite slippery so I'd prefer to keep a larger rug size here.

• IdaClaire
    15 years ago

LOL! I was so busy concentrating on the rug that I didn't even notice the two cute little "rugrats" rolling around on it! Yep, I'd say you definitely need it for the kiddos to play on. Looks like they're enjoying it immensely! ;-D

• Valerie Noronha
    15 years ago

I agree with kids it is nice to have a floor rug for them to play and for that price, you should not have to worry too much about wear and tear and can always change it when they get older. The darker color should hide any dirt--always a plus. Regarding the drapes, I would consider a pattern or stripe since everything else is a solid--something with some burgundy, gold/tan, perhaps a bit of black as well. I assume you are thinking of stationary panels since it looks like your sofa backs up to the wall below the window.

• User
    15 years ago

I like the classic combination of burgundy, navy blue, and gold in the rug. It can be a reference point for your evolving décor. Use the colors in the rug as you change or add to your furnishings and accessories. The chocolate sofa and the gold chair work for now. When you replace the orange-red chair, it would add some interest to have a striped pattern combining the rug colors. In the meantime, get some throw pillows to add interest and pull it together. I say a big "no" to the red curtainsÂor any strong color. Your room will look larger if you use neutral tones. Use one of the beige to gold tones in the rug or a softer hue of your wall color.

The problem with the appearance of the rug in the room is placement. Do not go smaller. Reposition this rug and it will be more pleasing to the eye. The problem is the fact that your room is so long and narrow. You will not find a rug with dimensions that will allow you to leave an equal amount of flooring exposed as a border on all sides, which is ideal, unless it was custom-made. If you move the rug so that the borders on parallel sides of the rug are equal, it will look so much better.

• dgmarie
    15 years ago

My only and first reaction. It is a very formal, intricate rug in a very informal room. While the color and style of the rug is on its own is very lovely, it would belong better in a more formal room. It also seems too big as it is running into the TV stand.

• User
    15 years ago

Nadine, I really like that rug and I think when it's centered widthwise, you'll be very ok. I think it blends wonderfully with your "new" floor and the fireplace. As you have kids, I think more rug will be better on their knees.

Are you still thinking about white built-ins on either side of your fireplace? My caution with your rug is that the brighter white seems to be a bit harsh against the beige in the rug.

I think you are definitely on the right track.

• nadine33
    Original Author
    15 years ago

We're holding off on the built-ins for now. Next step is a TV stand, but I'm thinking about waiting till black friday to see if there are any x-mas sales to be had. We've toyed with the idea of a flat screen on the wall, but we would still need someplace to put the accessories (cable box/ dvd player) so I think just a regular TV stand will do and our x-mas gift to each other will be the flat screen tv...again hoping for a good x-mas sale.
    Yeah the rug is kind of formal, but I couldn't really find anything else I liked. Of course I'm hoping the room will eventually look a little classier with the other updates I'm planning. Not super fancy of course as it's also the kids playroom!
    We do still have to come up with some sort of bookcase for the future but I'm just taking baby steps right now. The cube storage is also still there and while it's ugly I can't seem to come up with a better alternative. I thought about a nice bookcase in it's place in that corner but not sure if that will just look worse?

• nadine33
    Original Author
    15 years ago

ok, here it is centered. It's definitely growing on me....

• nadine33
    Original Author
    15 years ago

So I decided this rug isn't for me. I don't wnat to force myself to like it. I went to HOme Goods and luckily actually foud a new one that I like even better. And it was on clearance fo $275. It's beige and much less intricate. I'll try to post some pics later, although maybe I shouldn't because if anyone doens't like it I'd me apt to change it again! :)
    Now the problem with returning the other rug. When I called Overtock today it sounded like it wouldn't be a big deal to return it and I'd have to pay some shipping. Well I started the process and I guess I'm responsible for the entire shipping charge which is gonna be a lot since the rug is almost 50 pounds!!!!

• Valerie Noronha
    15 years ago

I think choosing a rug is one of the most difficult decisions. You really have to bring a rug home to get a feel for the size and how the colors and pattern mesh with your other features of the room. I was recently very tempted to purchase a rug from overstock.com as their prices are so very attractive, but it is so hard to make a decision based on their little pictures and descriptions. While it does look much better centered, I do agree it is a bit too formal for the style of this room--even with the updates you mention--and since it does make such a visual statement, in the long run you'll be happier with your choice to return. Another option is to try to resell on your local Craigslist if the shipping is too prohibitative. Do you know how long you have until you need to return it?

Another option I was going to suggest to you earlier is to go to a carpet store and look into having a remnant bound. I still think that is a good idea since you are working with a long and narrow room and you may find that the room will feel less closed in if you chose a rug without a border.

• laurience
    15 years ago

I think you made the right decision. If you have to question your purchase so much then it probably isn't the right one. Good luck with the overstock return. I hope it is not too pricey.

Joanne

• roorezzi
    15 years ago

nadine -

I have been following your thread as DH and I just put in wood floors and are redecorating a LR as well. I think you made the right decision with the rug. It seemed to be too formal for your room and if you are not thrilled with it rght now - then why keep it. Hopefully all works out with returning the rug - please post an update as to what happened with the return process. I may be going through the same.

Did you try out the Home Goods store rug? I have been waiting to see pics. Do you have any?? There wasn't a HG by me for a while but one must have opened. It is a little further than I would like to travel but I am going to check it out and see what they have.

Can't wait to see the newer rug!!

ruth

• nadine33
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Here are the pics of the new rug. The color looks a bit off on my monitor. It's a beige rug with some green/olive and red accents. I'm a liitle nervous with it being a light color, but I'll handle it. I like that it's a lot less formal. It actually looks much better in person I think. I'll be putting up neutral drapes and getting rid of the red chair and replace that with something neutral, and then I'll throw in my accent colors with pillows/throws etc. You can see the rug pad sticking out right now, I haven't had a chance to trim it down yet. Once we get a new TV and stand too I think the room will come together nicely. And for clearance price of $275 for a wool 8x11 rug I'm pretty happy.

• roorezzi
    15 years ago

That rug is beautiful - I love it with the room - it has the touch of traditional yet still a little casual looking.

I can't wait to get down to HG - I don't think I will make it there this weekend - maybe next.

Great find - ohhh where did u get the pad and is it cushy? how much (if you don't mind me asking?)

• squirrelheaven
    15 years ago

Great find is right! The other was just too much for the room, imo. This one is very pretty and settles in there nicely. Makes the room look so comfortable with its colors and pattern. Much more relaxing I think. The color might be tough, but for that price it won't have to last a lifetime.

Please continue to show us your progress and how everything comes together : )

• lacombe
    15 years ago

I really like this rug alot better then the other one.

• laurience
    15 years ago

That is a very nice rug. The colors blend very well.

Joanne

• anotherlinda
    15 years ago

It's absolutely perfect! Love the colors, goes perfectly with your couch and it gives the room a warm, calm, cozy feeling. You did good!

• nadine33
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks everyone! Picking a rug is hard.
    ALthough when I unrolled the first one my first thought was "I'm not sure", and when I unrolled this 2nd one I said "definitely!". It was still a hard purchase to make in the store. But with a 30 day return policy and it being about 5 minutes from my house it was an easier choice. I am going to take a hit of about $70 for the return of the other rug, but I'll just chalk it up to experience. Now I'll be on the lookout for bargains to complete the room. As I said before, with X-mas coming I think it makes sense to wait a bit for the bigger purchases to maybe get a good deal. I'm still trying to sell the armoire on CL, but not much luck. There are TONS of armoires for sale there.

• Valerie Noronha
    15 years ago

This new rug is much better. It is like what I was thinking of not having a border because this border is very subtle without such a dramatic color change. It opens up the room rather than making it feel closed in. Don't think of it that yyou are out $70, but rather a savings of $180 because you are not keeping a rug you do not like and you'd ultimately replace anyway--after the opportunity to return it. Good choice and a great price as well!! This one is a keeper.

Regarding the armoire, keep trying. You are right there are a lot for sale and it's too bad, as they seem to have been quite devalued even from the higher end brands. I do think with the recession we are in, people are looking for more creative ways to decorate their houses and so CL will be a good avenue to buy/sell.

• IdaClaire
    15 years ago

I love the new rug! It's the perfect addition!

• onedog3cats
    15 years ago

That rug looks great in your room!! I am heading to HG this evening to see what ours has. Hoping they have your rug :o) or something similar. Those are the colors I am looking for. I've been looking online for rugs, but I need to see them in person.