Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
demeron

Take a gamble on JC Penney child's bed?

demeron
16 years ago

I am in love with the Madeleine canopy bed from PB Kids-- almost $1300 once shipping's included. JC Penny has a similar looking bed for $400. Even after shipping, much, much cheaper. Costco also has some white twin beds for less than $700, but they are a bit more gingerbready and no canopy. I have tried my local Craig's list but not much doing in my area. Any experiences/suggestions?

Comments (8)

• metromom
    16 years ago

I have a JCPenney 15%discount codeif that makes it more enticing. MVP78 will supposedly get you 15% off a regular-price order of $75 or more. Don't know about their quality - a friend has a kitchen table from there that looks great, but I think with these places, sometimes it's inconsistent from item to item.

• backsweat
    16 years ago

There's one on ebay right now for $900 delivered. (at least if you can get it for the $699 + delivery

http://cgi.ebay.com/Pottery-barn-kids-Madeline-Twin-Canopy-bed-White_W0QQitemZ220160776130QQihZ012QQcategoryZ66742QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I don't know that I would plunk down that much on someone that's only got 1 feedback listing and it's over 6 months. Email them, maybe by a longshot their local and you could pick it up. If the Penny's quality one is that bad, I'm sure they'd take it back. If you do the ebay thing with credit card (paypal), your protected through them. stanley young america has some similar stuff, but there have been a number of posts regarding their quality gonig downhill.

• mcgivnec
    16 years ago

demeron,

I have been looking at JC Penneys girls bedroom sets too. I am interested in the Abbigail with the trundle. I think I'm going to gamble and get it. I have a free shipping code which works (I just tried it): WP99HOME

Good luck!

Chrissay

• bellaflora
    16 years ago

I bought 2 beds from Jcpenney for my boys (the Canyon) but they are out of stock until 11/30 so I can't speak for the quality. However, this bed is the clone of PB's Sumatra and cost 279 vs 1500. For children's bed I would go cheap (especially w/ girls) because once they hit their teens they surely want something else. I have a lot of furniture from PB and not all of them are good quality. For example, I have the large ARIS desk (retail 1200) and last night, the keyboard broke off when my DS leaned on it. The wood piece that held up the bracket is actually made of very soft wood and splintered to pieces. I am surely glad I only paid 100$ for that desk (via Craiglist)otherwise I would cry! :-)

My friends all have PB's beds for their kids (it's a yuppy thing) and they told me PB doesn't hold up very well for the price. If you want heirloom quality furniture, I would just get it custom made. I got the price quoted and it's about 600-800 for a full size bed (also depend on the wood species but if you are getting painted it would be cheaper).

Sorry for a long post. For me, PB is not worth the price. I either go really cheap or just go custom (if you want to keep the piece for future grand kids). My DD has a handcrafted 2ndhanded bed and it's still going strong at 20+ years. I bought it from a lady whose DD was going for college and doesn't need the bed anymore.

Have you checked out this site?

http://www.laylagrayce.com/searchresulthome.aspx?CategoryID=45

They sell beds by this company -- bradshaw kirchofer which I totally love. The price is in line w/ PB but you can also get your carpenter do it for cheaper, or if you have a designer friend, I think they give designer discount.

http://www.bradshawkirchofer.com/500CAN.htm

good luck and sorry for the long post. ;-)

• donnamp14
    16 years ago

I don't think I'd trust them with a child's bed. In July they recalled kitchen chairs we had bought from them, and told us to stop using them IMMEDIATELY. The replacements arrived Oct. 1. Three months without kitchen chairs? JMHO. :)

-Donna

• Sueb20
    16 years ago

My son has been sleeping in a bed from JC Penney for about 10 years! I figured it was a temporary thing, his first "big boy" bed, and here he is 12 years old, and the bed is still in great shape. I can't speak for everything they sell, but this worked out well for us. It's a simple bed w/ bookcase headboard.

• deegw
    16 years ago

About 7 years ago I purchased four cottagey Pottery Barn looking headboards for my girl's rooms (two sets of twins). The price was very reasonable. They are super cute and have held up well. They were kind of a pain to put together. I would be worried a bit about a trundle because the construction is pretty average. The trundle would have many more pieces to break or fall apart.

• demeron
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks, guys, you're the best! This will help in my decision making. I love the simplicity of the PB stuff but figured it was just not worth the price. I'll keep you posted. Thanks for the codes!