Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dmwbcc

Anyone remodel but keep the 'feel' of a 60's or 70's kitchen? Pic

dmwbcc
14 years ago

We have a 1967 kitchen that we'd love to keep the "feel" of the era, without doing a total reproduction of a 60's kitchen.

What was going on in that time and era that we could keep/incorporate in to our kitchen update/remodel?

Anyone have pics?

Comments (22)

• bluestarrgallery
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

How about some countertop color appliances or a dinette or curtains they used in that era depending upon what your color scheme is? I have an 80's kitchen and I am looking for a retro dinette to put in there as the chairs are super comfortable. I am thinking of the ones with casters and vinyl seats and backs. I missed a chromcraft set in white which I loved, still looking.

• plllog
    14 years ago

Do you have any pictures? Is anything salvageable? Is it falling apart? Can any of it be restored? What do you like about the feel of the current kitchen? What have you seen in other '60's-'70's kitchens that you'd like to keep? What part of the country/world are you in? Design trends are different in different places. What is teh style of your house?

What does '60's-'70's mean to you? Mod? Retro? Quaint? Sassy?

What kind of colors are you interested in?

How big a space do you have and how do you want to use it? Are you keeping the same footprint?

What appliances do you want/need? What's your budget?

All of these things play into the kinds of suggestions that will be useful.

For a common '70's look, use a lot of golden yellows and bright oranges on a creamy white background. Bold, graphic prints, graphic florals, stripes and geometrics. Wallpaper, stencilled or fabric.

For a retro '60's look, St. Charles metal cabinets, panelled or colored appliances. Aqua and white.

Or just do a current kitchen, with print drum shade hanging lamp, swagged on a brass chain, and a few other little touches like that.

• vampiressrn
    14 years ago

plllog nailed the questions! I love mid century & retro, so pictures of your current kitchen would be extremely helpful.

Here is a link that might be useful: mid century modern kitchen colors

• dmwbcc
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks! The pictures I do have aren't great, but it is important to note the pictures that I DO have are literally the entire kitchen. The other/opposite walls are just plain walls, the kitchen is 11x17 and is NOT open to any adjacent rooms and you enter through one of two typical sized doorways. (Photos at bottom of post)

The home is a typical suburban tract home built in 1967- in a more "traditional" neighborhood. You don't see MCM type homes around here. SO a very mid century feel wouldn't really blend here. The clean lines and simplicity would, just not a "mod" look.

Is anything salvageable? Cabinets are in great shape. I plan to keep them for a while, however, would like to paint them.

Is it falling apart? No, not really. The laminate counters leave something to be desired.

Can any of it be restored? I would assume, for my particular liking, the cabinets can be restored. I plan to do lower/open shelving on the other two walls that way I don't have to match the current cabinets. I figure a simple lower, built in, yet open shelving unit in a l-shape will be suffice. I'll do a matching countertop all the way around.

What do you like about the feel of the current kitchen? The simplicity! Reminds me of a time when the "American Dream" was to own your own home- the products put into it weren't all that important.

What have you seen in other '60's-'70's kitchens that you'd like to keep? I don't know! I am so "new" to this look, and while the super "mod" 60's kitchens are WAY cool, they aren't for me- I'd love the inspiration of those kitchens to be weaved in, but don't want it overpowering!

What part of the country/world are you in? We're in a suburb near Denver, CO.

What is the style of your house? See below pic- I'm not sure!
    What does '60's-'70's mean to you? Mod? Retro? Quaint? Sassy? I like quaint, I like sassy, not so much retro as much as I like vintage (not the same? LOL) and do not feel like mod would be right here.

What kind of colors are you interested in? White, greys. I want to accent with color, but don't want color fixed in the area. I want to be able to do a bold pendant with a great print that goes with the coverings on a chair that goes with some funky thrift store find that I spray painted orange.... ect. NOT, orange cabinets. :)

How big a space do you have and how do you want to use it? The space is 11x17

Are you keeping the same footprint? For now, we are. It's not open to the adjacent rooms, matter of fact, quite closed off. I want to see how we feel about keeping it that way before we tear down a wall. One entrance comes in from the foyer/stairs area and one entrance comes in from the dining room. The sink looks out over the back yard.

What appliances do you want/need? We'd need all new appliances.

What's your budget? Minimal. We are are starting with a new electrical system and concrete work on the front and back of the home. Once we move inside we'll do bathrooms first, floors and THEN kitchen. BUT- for right now I am interested in updating a bit, maybe new counters, additional cabinets, maybe new appliances.

Front of home- I do feel it's important to take in to account the "style" of the house. There is MAJOR curb appeal coming to this home in the near future, but...

Kitchen: This is it, what you see is what you get. The opposite walls are bare.

THANKS!

• plllog
    14 years ago

Great answers! Yours is a perfect house for a gentle '60's vibe without going way mod, which sounds like where your taste is.

My opinion: Since the cabinets are in good shape, give them a really good scrub, but don't paint them. They totally have that vibe and just need freshening to make them look good. It's sunny enough in the Denver area that you don't need to worry about the darkness. You could dress them up by using orange ball knobs, or something like that.

I find the brown hood very interesting. It blends well with the cabinets and I'm thinking that was the intent. It might be worth preserving that if it functions well, or replacing the blower but keeping the body. The stove looks very clean, and it's cool. You should be able to find a slide in to take its place, though, as well as a dishwasher, with minimal disruption. I'm more worried about the fridge. Stainless and white (metal) appliances were both popular in the era in question, so you should be able to find replacements without blowing your budget. There are fewer choices in colors, though almond or biscuit are both still made.

For a great '70's vibe, if you want to replace your counters, you could do DIY copper. Ask Circuspeanut how (and search for her kitchen). They do develop a mottled patina, so you have to like the look, but they'd go very well with your cabinets, and would pick up the "natural" look of the mid-'70's. It's a look that should have been present in Denver in the day so you might be able to find some examples to look at.

Your idea of adding sheling units is a good one. That's a simple way to do an inexpensive update. Something else to think of, which is also appropriate to the era, is to use dressers instead of open shelves. Check Ikea and thrift shops. Just go for straight, simple lines that will go with your cabinets as well as the era.

Is this an eat-in kitchen? Do you need a dinette set? If so, bucket chairs will enhance the vibe. You can definitely find those at the second hand stores. Or you could use storage benches to make a simple eating nook.

Still want white? You can paint the whole thing white. The same cabinetry could have been white. But what a shame to paint it! Gray wasn't really used much in the period you're after. Burgundy and gray came into fashion as clothing in 1972 (I think), and was seen in office decor in the very late '70's. Gray was very in for commercial decor in the '80's. No so much for home dec, however, which tended more to black, mauve, white, glass, brass and foliage green. That was a reaction to the whole natural look thing that the mid to late '70's were all about. The late '60's to early '70's were more about color, plastics, space age, jet set, swank. The mid-'70's natural look was all about dark woods and beige clothes, but the earlier version, heading out of the '60's, was deep earth tones that were a reaction to the day-glo, op-art, psychedelic '60's colors. Those would be your autumn brown (like your hood), harvest gold, avocado green. And almond, too. And the yellow golds and oranges I mentioned, which it sounds like you're already using.

• pinch_me
    14 years ago

Here's the place for you!! And most everything there is available somewhere. When I visit the local "antique" store I wish those people looking for stuff were here. Our craigslist had a gold mine of old stoves and fridges on it recently. I don't know what it costs to rejuvinate them up to snuff for today. Probably more than a new appliance.

Here is a link that might be useful: retro renovation

• rookie_2010
    14 years ago

I hope you all don't think this suggestion is ridiculous but.....
    Have you watched any Nick at Night lately? Some re-reruns of the Brady Bunch may be in order. I always liked something about that kitchen and it was shown in many episodes since that's where all the kids had to go when seeking advice from Alice...
    Seriously, if you watch some of those old shows, see if you notice an element or two you think would be great to incorporate into your kitchen.
    Good luck! I really think your project will be fun to watch, hope you keep us posted!

• palimpsest
    14 years ago

Here are some drop in ranges.

Formica and Wilsonart have moved away from their simple graphic patterns to faux woods and stones but Pionite makes some simple abstracts that would fit right in.

http://www.pionite.com/pionite/pages_pionite/pionite_abstracts_1.php?page=2

The fridge is going to be a potential problem because you are hemmed in by the doorway, the width and the height. Fridges have ALL gotten so big.

Amana makes a small one that would fit, but it doesnt have a lot of features. It comes in a couple different colors too, which is unusual. Whirlpool makes one almost identical:
    {{gwi:1875154}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Drop In Ranges

• Circus Peanut
    14 years ago

There are so many ways you can go, depending on whether you're keeping your cabinetry, going for lighter, or painting. For 1968, you're looking for warmer versions of the "mod" colors -- don't think jetsons pink-and-turquoise, think Dansk cookware, scandinavian modern furniture, avocado and burnt orange and curry yellow - all of which are great colors for the color of your current cabinetry.

Here are a smattering of random images of current kitchens that appear to be trying to capture that late modern vibe:

{{gwi:1875162}}

{{gwi:1875164}}

Oops, I threw a real one in there too. :-)

• kaismom
    14 years ago

Others ar giving great advice stylistically but

Your budget is minimal... AND
    The money that you throw on this will not be recouped because you have a "real" kitchen remodel in your future as I read from your post. First I would identify what is absolutely needed first. For example, replace only the appliances that you absolutely cannot live with or if it is broken.

In the mean time,
    I would read about 1960s architecture. Educate yourself and see what aspect of that era's architecture appeals to you. Take one step at a time. Don't rush into this and throw good money at bad, if you are not planning on keeping this kitchen for the permanent future remodel. I think you have enough work (money hemorrhage) cut out for you rehabbing the other parts of the house.

Some names to work from:
    Nutra, Eichler from California, and Eames, Corbusier, Sarrinen, Arne Jacobson from Europe etc you should be able to find lots of stuff.

Dwell magazine is a great resource. I would look at them at your local library.
    Each region has a rich history of modern architects and their work.

I would do a little research and see what type of work they did locally. This is a good place to start to reproduce authenticity from that era if that is the way you end up going.

• firstmmo
    14 years ago

Also, Atomic Ranch Magazine. Love the photos in there and they have many ideas of people who kept to the original style of the era.

• eldemila
    13 years ago

dmwbcc, I'm in the same boat. I recently purchased a 1960s built home and am trying to work with the cabinets I've got as well. Mine has molding, which is something you may want to think about adding.

I'm trying to see if I can restain them near the original color first, if not, try darker, and it that doesn't work, paint. Worse case scenario, gut. It would cost almost half the amount of getting new all-wood cabinets for me to have them professionally stained - then I have to take in to consideration countertop, flooring, new appliances, etc.

I'm having a hard time coming up with ideas. I've looked endlessly and haven't come up with anything concrete.

I've linked my original post below that has pictures of my kitchen and some ideas I have found to consider are below, which you'll understand why once you see my kitchen

Here is a link that might be useful: 1960s Kitchen

• formerlyflorantha
    13 years ago

Be sure to include a round globe pendant in plain white.

• pinch_me
    13 years ago

Wall paper. If you really want to invoke the past, orange/green/gold wall paper with huge flowers on a white back ground. Similar to what was posted above. I remodeled my first kitchen in 1967. I had that wallpaper and brown appliances. Dark cabinets. Unfortunately, wallpaper isn't cheap any more. Ebay is your best bet for vintage wallpaper. And be forwarned. The genuine stuff is a b*tch to hang. I wouldln't try the real old paper that isn't vinyl coated unless you have the patience of Job.

• formerlyflorantha
    13 years ago

Watch garage sales for oversized forks and spoons carved from Polynesian wood.

Make something (usually a potted plant) hang from the ceiling suspended in a macrame creation of cord or twine. Drive a molly bolt into your ceiling to suspend such items.

Collect hand-thrown ceramics, esp. bowls and wine glasses.

Get a fondue pot. Use the fondue pot.

Collect Scandinavian 18/8 stainless steel serving pieces.

Use candles on the table. Get some large-graphic flowered fabric napkins and some funky napkin rings. Use colorful placemats, in solid colors. Goodwill is great for these.

Choose a stoneware pattern and begin a collection. In our community, people esp. treasure the giveaways from the local bank which were the bonus for savings certificates in the 1970s and 80s. OR get hooked on collecting the cheap silverplate that the bank also gave away. In my community, it's an Oneida pattern. You can find all kinds of matching things: chip & dip holders, coffee sets, tea sets, serving trays, etc. My cheap relatives gave me some for wedding presents and got the savings CD to boot!

Grill steaks under the broiler on stainless steel or aluminum steak broiler dishes, which fit into dents in a custom-made wooden dish holder.

Use a cheese board and a funky cheese serving tool.

Get some dried flowers that have long, thin stems and eerily died tiny flowers. Or put a distinctive dried plant into a ceramic pot and put it into the middle of a table.

Get a wine bottle to use as a candleholder and melt candles down the side as they burn down. MATEUS or a basket-clad chianti bottle are faves.

Get a beanbag chair. Or a director's chair.

Hope you like orange as a color. And brown.

• firstmmo
    13 years ago

florantha...fondue pot! Yum! LOL.

Check out my 1960s kitchen withe aforementioned gold/yellow wall paper, cabinets and linoleum. I can live with some retro things but I just couldn't embrace the old kitchen. Good for you for trying to work with what you had. I have seen some beautiful repros in the magazines.

Here's my old kitchen:

From Menlo Farmhouse

From Menlo Farmhouse

• growlery
    13 years ago

As you can see, there are as many different "kinds of 60's" as there are people who lived in the 60's!

There is absolutely NOT one single way to restore or decorate. I'd start by familiarizing yourself with what is kind of period appropriate, what is available, and then, figure out what you like.

I like your cabinets, and think a gentle cleanup and refresh will give them years and years of service. I have cabinets from the 1940s in part of my house, and expect them to go for many more decades. Candle/beeswax will help any drawers that are sticking.

Rejuvenations is a good source for reproduction period lighting, if you want to check that out for ideas. You can also check salvage places for the originals, but you may have to clean them up and get them rewired, and you may not find the numbers you need. Not hard, but factor it into the cost.

Sometimes looking at movies, or magazines (even things like car or fashion magazines, whatever you like) will help pin things down, since you know what year they came out. Then pick and choose elements you think can work.

There are some nice 60s-70s inspired textiles and pottery (Jonathan Adler, Pat Albeck etc.) coming out by modern designers that are very interesting, that would give you the feel of the era, but be fresh and new. If you like the old stuff, there is lots of good secondhand shopping to be done.

There are many midcentury modern, and later, lovers on this forum. We usually just have to be silent while people rip out sweet kitchens like yours!

Enjoy you American Dream!

• kimkitchy
    13 years ago

Your house looks very "Brady Bunch". I love that!

In 1967, I was six and my mom had a new kitchen.
    Here's what mom had:
    Copper colored wall ovens, cooktop, hood, fridge.
    Copper "tile" backsplash.
    Fiberglass curtains in turquoise, sea green (and maybe spring green) plaid!
    Walls in one of the colors from the curtains (turquoise to a sea greenish).
    Wood cabinets; Maple (I think) with black wrought iron- look, early american hardware.
    I think the countertops were just Formica - maybe white with copper flecks.
    Vinyl tile (two tone brown, I think).
    Scalloped wooden valance over the sink.
    The sink must've been "nothing special" because I don't remember it.
    A green wall phone!

Boy, my mental pictures of that kitchen are vivid!

You've been given great advice from others above about finding the feel that is right for you.

If it were mine, I'd be tempted to clean up the cabinets; I don't think I'd paint them white. I'd also be tempted to splurge on copper colored appliances ('cause I love them) and use Formica Boomerangs as the countertop! (But that's probably way over the top!)

Good luck and keep us in the loop! Looking forward to hearing and seeing what you'll do.

Formica Boomerangs

• idrive65
    13 years ago

In my parents new home in 1967, they had knotty pine cabinets with hammered copper strap hardware, avocado green appliances, red mini-brick pattern linoleum floors, and some sort of green, busy typical 1960's wallpaper. Groovy then, but I wouldn't repeat it!

• growlery
    13 years ago

You also might consider something like a china cabinet (a Haywood-Wakefield -style china cabinet would be very hot!) as a furniture-style solution. It can hold more than china -- vintage staples canisters, cookbooks, linens on the bottoms etc. That way you can just move it around the house as needed. Some people find things stay cleaner. (I have open shelves and don't have a problem.)

You can definitely replace the laminate counter (they pull the whole counter out, not just peel off the skin) and put in a new laminate counter, or put in another kind of counter.

Sometimes a "period feel" can be done with just what you have and some accessories. You don't need to add a thing that would turn anyone off.

I also wanted to raise the issue that some people, contractors, designers etc, may come in and advise you to rip everything out.

They may do this for a silly reason -- it's just easier for them, or a real reason -- a slow drip has been rotting the sink cabinet for 15 years, and it actually does have to be replaced. It's easy for things to get the "while we're at its" as someone here called it, and before you know it, your very modest kitchen plan calls for bumping out 3 stories and adding an indoor pool.

I just want you to remember that, no matter what you decide, YOU are the one in control of this project. It's YOUR house. You can really say "No, we're happy with X as it is. We'd just like a quote on the Y right now, thanks."

If you needed to get a couple of cabinets built because one is very rotted and unsalvageable, it might be done by a local carpenter for a reasonable amount of money, less than getting a whole new set of cabinets. But if what you really want is a whole new kitchen in 5 years, then -- get the leak FIXED, come back and let us know.

• flwrs_n_co
    13 years ago

I live in the Denver area, too. You might go to some of the antique and resale shops on South Broadway to look for an expensive kitchen set that fits the period look you want. I've found some great bargins over the years. And, of course, it's garage sale time--always an opportunity to find a hidden treasure but generally takes a lot of time to search. This weekend many of the neighborhoods in the southwest Littleton/Jefferson County area are having their annual community garage sales. Good luck! (And I love, love, love the boomerang formica--takes me back to my aunt's house!)

• paula_2010
    13 years ago

I love your house and your desire to stay true to the time it was built! My house was also built in 1967. I am about to begin my kitchen remodel (on Monday!) and also wanted to keep it 60's-ish. For me that means a slide in range. I need double ovens but don't want modern built-ins. There are several companies that make double oven ranges - I'm getting a GE. I'm still getting a french-door frig and granite counters. (DH is a geologist and wants real stone.) I love the cut out cornice about your sink! Keep that and you keep the 60's feel. I would paint the cabinets though. You want to stay true to the feel but you don't want it to look like it's never been updated! Good luck. Can't wait to see what you do!

Sponsored
Moda Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Loudoun County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living