Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_9268002

mockups? photoshop? any kind of help

User
15 years ago

My saga continues.

I realize from the comments yesterday, that the issue with the backsplash tiles I was considering is more the color of the cabinets as opposed to the granite. I took some pictures that show more of the cabinets.

THe 2x2 mosaic block does say it is the same color (chiaro) as the 4x4 but I guess maybe they are just different enough that they do look better than the larger ones.What do you think? I also am posting a varied color tile (4x4) that is not what I was thinking of but I wonder if it should be considered.

AS you can tell, I would love ALL the help you can offer me.

In case you missed my previous 698 posts, the granite is sapphire blue, the kitchen floor is a whitish tile... the appliances are white, cabs are oak in an ivory finish, anything else you want to know I would be happy to share. I just want to enjoy it already!!

Comments (16)

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Pretty please?
    If I need to retake photos etc let me know. And as always, feel free to suggest something that I have not.

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Desperate for commentary.

• wascolette
    15 years ago

Sheila,

Could just be my monitor, but the tiles in the first picture seem like they would go great with the cabinets, but are not right for the granite. I think the tiles in the third picture would be a good combination of both the cabinets and the granite. What are those dark sparkly tiles in the second picture? They look intriguing.

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well it's funny that you say they go with the cabinets but not right for the granite, because I posted similar pix (yes it could be lighting and monitors) and the feedback I got was that it was questionable with the cabinets(you know kind of close but possibly off).The dark sparkly tiles are one of the assorted detail tiles I picked up at HD and Lowe's (also came in a brownish copper color) for if I ever figure out a backsplash.
    The third one is from my surfing, and it is from an ebay store but I would love to see it in real life of course and even in my house to decide -it says 4x4 indian autumn slate. I would like some contrast, but I still like to hae punches of light.
    I just played around again with the original ones and wonder if I basically used the lighter tiles (they are chiaro) and interspersed maybe 15-20% of the gold ones if that would seem better?
    Anyway here is the link to the autumn slate. Maybe if someone recognizes it and can tell me how to find it.?
    In a few I will try to take a picture of what I played with on my counter for your feedback... stay tuned.

Here is a link that might be useful: the autumn slate tiles?

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

ok so here is my playing. is this any better or worse when I mix in a little bit of the darker tile or is it still just not working? I think it looks good about 8 of the 10 times I look at it, but I just don't know and would love other eyes to look at it.
    By the way the "listello?" is there just for the dimensions, I am not thinking that it belongs(it is a white glossy ceramic. )

• msrose
    15 years ago

I was going to say the same thing as wascolette. The 1st picture make it look like the tiles match the cabinets more than the granite. It's so hard to tell from the pictures you posted, because the lighting looks different in each of them. I do like the idea of something more neutral with a few of the little dark tiles in picture #2.

Laurie

• remodelfla
    15 years ago

IMHO the autumn slate is overall too dark and cumbersome. I like the last pic you posted of your "playing". How about if you did them in a diamond pattern and interpersed the dark smaller ones in a random pattern. I'd love you see you try playing around with that pattern.

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Kewl! I kind of agree that the autumn slate might be too heavy - and I just tried to actually locate some more, and it seems to vary so much and what I particularly liked was the blue and the whitish which in other runs is not the case....
    I know with all the pix I have posted, that its kind of confusing- so do you mean that you also like the 4" tiles where I have mixed in some darker ones and then to ALSO mix in the dark sparkly?

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ok I am getting a complex here.
    Are you rolling your eyes thinking I have really lost it with my persistance? Well yes I have lost it. I hope to get to another tile store on Monday or Tuesday and then try to play some more. I so want to get on with this. Then the paint issues will begin, but I really would love some more feedback on the backsplash ideas. I am getting that misxing the color lots will work if done randomly enough. yes?
    And, for scattering the accent tiles, I would like to use them very randomly but sparingly. I wonder though if that would seem like an afterthought?
    help me out guys, I need ALL the help I can get and then some.

• remodelfla
    15 years ago

Yeppers... I'm thinking the 4" ones mixed, whitesh/goldish with the dark sparkly ones (little ones) mixed in. And... I like the diamond pattern.

• kemmc23
    15 years ago

I like your choices, maybe because they are similiar to what I picked! I did pick tiles which has a golden color to them, and the box of tiles vary in shades. They pick up the gold hues in my granite and will warm up the kitchen. I also am putting in some glass inserts in the tan/gold/green hues in it also. I got the idea from Garden State Tile which I told you in a previous post. (on a side note, I think we have the same taste...I am also going to buy the ORB handles that you have! I had them picked out already, I just have to order them! so funny!)

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well yes thanks to your suggestion, kcmmc I will be heading to Garden state and see what I I find there. We do have very similar taste I guess. I just find that coordinating the light cabinets and the dark countertops are really stumping me. The dark countertops were kind of a surrender in a weak moment and I won't say I regret them as I am sure they will work fine but it is taking some creative juices out of me that I just might not have. THank goodness for the forum and all of you.

• dd70
    15 years ago

Sheila,
    I haven't posted here in a while, but I remember you and that we live by eachother. My kitchen has been done with exception of the backsplash, this is by far the hardest decision to make. Not sure if you know this but I found by accident that there is a Dal Tile showroom in the Lakewood Ind. park. You cant purchase there but you make an appt. and they will sit with you and help you plan out out your backsplash, bring samples or pics with you. You can then order from a store by you that sells them. DH and I went in there the other day just to look around, we will make an appt. to sit with someone, its the only way it will get done!
    By the way, where did you get all the samples from and did you have to pay for them?
    Denise

• mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9
    15 years ago

Sorry, but I am just not feeling any of your choices. They seem to me to be to heavy as well. One goes with the cabs but not necessarily the granite. Are you sold on slate for the backsplash? What about just regular subway tile or glass tile? Here are some other options....

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Wow thanks for the suggestions-- I was just about to get on with my day and decided to check once more.
    The samples I have there are travertine, not slate, and I am not sold on either really though I do like the travertine. I am absolutely open to anything. I am at the point where I feel so sick of second guessing everything, at times I think I may just go order something and be done with it and it will look good. Then again, I am definitely going to look again tomorrow and actually have some samples coming sometime this week (of porcelain tiles that look sort of like travertine). The tricky part seems to be the wood color of the cabinets which I love, but I guess they are not so adaptable?
    I like very much #1, 2 and 4 of what you posted there...can you give me any info on those so I could see them IRL and or at least know how spendy they are? I sure want to love it, but if they are too pricey I will just ignore them:)
    and to answer dd70 the samples I got are from lowe's and HD, I did buy them but can return them (which I am planning to do with at least some of them if I don't select them..)

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

mustbnuts I emailed you but what the hey- I really like those and would love to be able to track them down.When I clicked on the photos it tooke me to your photobucket but not sharing. (I doubt you have the info on your photobucket anyway) so if you could give more info on them I would be most grateful!

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio