Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beekeeperswife_gw

Pictures please--light cabinets with dark backsplash

beekeeperswife
14 years ago

I think I actually put my head down on the counter at the tile store yesterday.

Our kitchen will have white perimeter cabinets, bianco antico granite, island will be same granite, but dark cabinets.

I went to the tile store yesterday to start getting some ideas. I had this vision that brown glass subway tile would just look great. The designer said it might make it look like a tunnel, since the cabinets & granite are light. There will be undercabinet lighting.

Do you have any pictures of light cabinets and light(er) granite with a dark backsplash?

Thanks!

Comments (12)

• thrilledtoremodel
    14 years ago

Hi beekeeperswife!

Our plans sounds so similar to you- white perimeter, bianco antico granite, and we are going with black painted cabs under island ( are you channeling Redroze too??) Starting demo next week, cabinets are due to be installed July 21st.

I am also agonizing over backsplash- wondered the same thing as you- does anyone do a dark(er) backsplash with white cabs?? Hope someone responds to this thread...

Part of my problem is that I think Redroze's kitchen works very well because her very dark floor kind of 'grounds' the lightness of the white cabs/white backsplash above. We, however, are sticking with golden oak...so I am concerned that if I do a white backsplash, it will all end up looking washed out..what flooring are you doing?

• beekeeperswife
    Original Author
    14 years ago

My floors will be dark cork. Natural Cork Narrow Plank, in Corte, so they will be dark. Nobody say anything negative about cork--it's all in boxes in my living room waiting to be installed!!! There is no turning back on that decision. I love it and can't wait to see it on the floor! We have decided not to put it under our 36" Capitol range and under the 48" side by side. Afraid of the appliances sinking! We are going to put plywood the same height as the cork under them.

So maybe someone will post with an idea about the backsplash. I am in no rush, but I sort of need to know the "plan" so I can get the pot filler in the right place (centered, off center, etc.)

Oh and yes--Redroze's kitchen....gorgeous. I was so happy to see her pictures of the bianco antico IRL. The colors in my slab are much more brown than I see in lots of the BA out there, which really works for us.

Cmon GW'ers, need some help here...

• boxerpups
    14 years ago

Hi Thrilledtr and Beekeepers,

I wish had a more specific picture of what you both
    describe. But just maybe these can help a little.

~boxerpups

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• redroze
    14 years ago

I don't think it would look like a tunnel if you do a dark backsplash with Bianco Antico. I think they key is that since there is so much going on in the granite in terms of colour and pattern, you should keep the backsplash one colour with no or very little colour variation. Like a solid brown glass backsplash, for example.

Have you seen Greta17's kitchen? She has a dark backsplash (either green or brown) with white cabs and a dark wood island. Looks perfect.

• carolinesmom
    14 years ago

Hi beekeepers wife; I'm grappling w/ the same issues. Dark floors, white cabs, light countertop; Since my kitchen/hearth room is one long run and there's no distinct "end" to the two cabinet runs that lead to the nook and hearth room, I was thinking I would do a tonal, nondescript, non-statement making backsplash that matched the paint, which right now might be BM limestone. Found a crackled tile that matches perfectly, so it will offer contrast w/ the more stark white cabs, but won't compete with the dark floor. Hope my twisted logic sparks some ideas. :)

• remodelfla
    14 years ago

The brownish taupey glass tile looks stunning with the light granite and white cabs IMHO. The key is... looking at Greta's beautiful kitchen is the white/light grout. You can absolutely go with a color you love and tie it in with a light grout. Just be sure to seal it or use an epoxy grout that doesn't stain.

• jjmckillop
    14 years ago

You've probably already made decisions by now, and have some great photos, but here's another for your files.

The kitchen I'm thinking of is the first one shown in the post.

I actually think something with depth will give your kitchen some warmth -- I've been leaning towards white cabinets and white oversized subway tile, but worry that the result will be a blinding whiteness, even with dark island, which we're also planning. (Our kitchen has a wide pass-thru to the family room which will be much warmer with brown furniture)

Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: met home blue backsplash kitchen

• beekeeperswife
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ohhhhh, we haven't decided yet. I've decided I'm better off if I only worry about one thing at a time. Tomorrow is the big day--the Bianco Antico is installed.

My DH and I went to the tile store couple of weeks ago. I really like the look of the Kraftmaid ad--the white kitchen with the crystal chandelier--They have a mosaic tile that gives an overall white/creamy look with a little shimmer. I think it really might look great with the granite...of course I'll probably know a little more tomorrow. The tile we were looking at was from Oceanside, 1/2", mosaic blend, in veil. I like Oceansides "straight edge" tiles, rather than the ones that look a little messy.

I still love the look of that brown glass subway tile too. I think once the granite is in my house, and my doors are finally back on the cabinets (I have coined a new phrase--Procastination Preparation--it's what you do when you just can't bring yourself to put the last & final coat of paint on the cabinets--I just keep sanding and wiping and fussing....)

Anyway--thanks for these links, the one with the bright blue tile really gives the look of the contrasting color, for sure!

BTW Redroze, did you know they are looking for you on the Home Decorating forum? Just thought I'd let you know.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kraftmaid Ad's backsplash

• eastcoastmom
    14 years ago

I love that Kraftmaid ad backsplash!

In my own search (just started a similar thread) for what to do for a backsplash, I came across this. It features a photo of a dark brown tile backsplash with light cabinets:

Here is a link that might be useful: light cabinets with dark backsplash

• eastcoastmom
    14 years ago

Hmm, that didn't seem to work for some reason. Try this:

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg0916405626553.html

• redroze
    14 years ago

Thanks beekeeperswife!

• tlj8_hotmail_com
    13 years ago

Hi there,

Need help picking a backsplash. We have bisque cabinets with solid black counters around the perimeter and a dark island with medium brown/bisque granite. Any suggestions/pictures will help!!!!

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville