Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
a2gemini_gw

Backsplash Round 3 Knock out and final decision*

a2gemini
11 years ago

I want to thank all of my GW friends for helping me through my kitchen process and it has been a process. I am hopeful this it it - but the * is because I just received notice that Heath is sending some more colors....

Now before you all go ballistic on my decision, I want to explain.

I decided on a very neutral tile - it is called Grazia Rixi in Crema. The picture is 5x5 but we might go with the 2.5 x 5 bricks. The picture makes it look whiter than it is - it does have a crackle - which I didn't want originally but even my DH likes it.

The cabinet sample is color only and not style (you all know what our kitchen looks like by now..)

So the tile designer sent me a sample of the Beach mosaic - and it really pulls in the counter top colors.

So, if we don't get too carried away - can I sneak some of the mosaic into the mix as an accent (take a look at Chitown pictures that she just posted....) We could do a strip or just something behind the cooktop.

I love our counter top - but 50 feet of crema BS without a break might be a bit much....

OK - so here are the pictures... Not sure why it rotated the first picture, so hope you don't get too dizzy!!

Comments (34)

• poohpup
    11 years ago

I am loving that mosaic with your cabs and granite! It is perfect! Going to have to trust you on that field tile. It is playing very white on my screen. Love the crackle in the tile. Home run on the mosaic!

There are soooo many options with tile layout. With such a neutral field tile you could really play around with the layout. What sizes does it come in besides the brick and the 5x5?

• a2gemini
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Pooh!
    I was so nervous about posting the mosaic as my first mosaic fell flat (and for good reason!)

Unfortunately, this one only comes in those 2 sizes. Our second choice had a couple more options but my DH walked in just as I was thinking the same thing - #2 was just wrong (Jeffrey Court Cork crackle)

I could go with the 5x5 alternating with a row of the mosaic or I could go diagonal with the tile - but then had more trouble with the mosaic.

The brick could go horizontal or vertical - but visually, I think horizontal plays in with the countertop and less competition.

Love your input as well as any others who want to pipe in.

Pooh - I keep following your oven saga... Still love that analog clock. (and your whole kitchen)

CK - if you chime in - still trying to figure out which branch you used so I can avoid that one.

Thanks!!!

• pawa
    11 years ago

love the mosaic. It's unbelievable how well it goes with your doors and counter!

• poohpup
    11 years ago

I thought Chitown's BS looked lovely. I can totally see you doing the same thing in your kitchen. I'm not a big fan of setting the brick vertically and agree it should go horizontal. You could always try a herringbone pattern but that might be too much visual clutter with that fabulous mosaic. I think that mosaic was meant to be in your kitchen. It will look stunning.

Was hoping to get the oven situation resolved this week. My salesman and the Operations Manager are both on vacation until Weds. I have to be out of the house all day Weds while they work on my floors so I'll have the whole day to spend at their store. I love my new kitchen as much as I hate the whole oven situation.

• lavender_lass
    11 years ago

Beautiful! :)

• remodelfla
    11 years ago

You did great!

• nycbluedevil
    11 years ago

Dont' know why my post didn't show up. It looks great Love the white--makes the counter and mosaic pop. I would lay horizontally. Patience is a virtue--you waited for the perfect thing. Congratulations!

• gone_south
    11 years ago

That Mosaic is wonderful with your granite. Well done!

• a2gemini
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Gone South, remodelfl, lavender, and para!

Pooh - forgot about herringbone but as you pointed out - might be too much with the mosaic.

NYC.... (hard for me to write bllluee devvilsss LOL) Thanks!

• AnnaA
    11 years ago

I think you are assembling a home run! I love the white setting off your Caeserstone. And the strip of mosaics...you found a perfect match mirroring your countertops!

Love it!

• ayerg73
    11 years ago

It's like they were made to go together! Great choice!!!

• babushka_cat
    11 years ago

perfect, looks fantastic! can't wait to see it installed!

• cakelly1226
    11 years ago

I love the Grazia rixi! And that mosaic is perfect!!!!! Great choice! I have seen it in person so I know it's the flash making it whiter. I saw it after I put in my Grazia butter and was so sad that I saw it after I did mine since it goes really nicely. (this was during my i hate my backsplash stage however- very much over it now:) Grazia makes such beautiful tile- you really can't go wrong. Does that style come in a bullnose? Mine did not sadly:(

I think you could add that mosaic in any way you would like. In a line above a stack of 5x5 set in a diagonal would look lovely or even in a design above your cooktop- its really pretty.

• clarygrace
    11 years ago

I really like it! It's going to look fab with your granite and cabinetry!!! Nicely done!!!

• labbie
    11 years ago

I've been following your decision process as our kitchen (if it ever gets started...we're awaiting a demo date) will have similar colors. Natural cherry cabs with golden crystal granite. With such a busy granite we're trying to envision what our b/s could be.

I love your choices- the creamy tile really complements your countertops and that mosaic is beautiful. I can't wait to see it installed!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

Love love love the mosaic and the crema.

You could run a row of the 5x5, then a row of the mosaic, then do the rest in the 2x5 in a running bond pattern.

Sorry...I haven't been around long enough to remember your kitchen layout....but if you have a cooktop area, you could use the mosaic as a frame and maybe put the 5x5 on a diagonal in the frame.

I would also check to see if the mosaic comes in other sizes...maybe small squares, or if the onyx or glass comes in other sizes or shapes which could be worked into your plan. Otherwise, you could have your tiler cut 4 individual pieces out of the mosaic and lay them to make a square so you could use that as a dot in the framed field. Lots of possibilities.

We did something similar in gf's kitchen....sorry for pic quality...but you get the idea. Her background tile came with a matching frame, and her mosaic was both as long and narrow and then small cubes.

• a2gemini
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks again for all of your support. Next steps will be the design and the grout(ugh!!!) Electrical should be completed this week and then once the tile is in, the bottom trim is added. The last step will be the lift top table. (I have 2 in mind - one is a lift top and the other is just a beautiful cherry table that I think perfectly matches the colors.) We picked out the fabric for the bench (without any GW help - believe it or not)

I am pretty sure I want to go with a single trim line but the design is still in progress. Additional thoughts are welcome.

Annie
    Interesting - I had not thought about using both 5 inch and 2.5 inch tiles. I can play with that concept at home.
    Here is a link to our kitchen - lots of pictures!!(and for anyone else late to the game)
    http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg0516485325916.html

Labbie(how many labs?) - can't wait to see what you do with your kitchen.

Clarygrace, BCat, Clary, 73, and Anna - thanks for your support!

CK - Glad you actually saw it in person - I really wanted to like plain butter, but just didn't do it for me. It was second, so if I had not found Rixi - it would have been butter or JC Chapter 11. If you can, please send me the branch you have been using off line - I want to avoid them. Thanks

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

Ideas for backsplash designs...I like this because it's in black and white so you can concentrate on just the pattern.

For Gf's kitchen, I took quadrille paper and colored pencils and sketched in her backsplash for her...she didn't like our first plan so we changed it as a result...much easier to do on paper than in tile!

Here is a link that might be useful: Tile America

• maries1120
    11 years ago

The tile you decided on looks great! Nice job!!!!

• fouramblues
    11 years ago

Wow, the quartz and mosaic talk with each other beautifully -- love it!! This really is a TKO (total knock-out, taking liberties with an acronym)! The crackle tile is simple but lovely. You're really in the home stretch!

• a2gemini
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Annie - great idea - will work on it
    Maries = Thanks!
    Four - love the different interpretation of TKO!

Currently thinking of using the bricks and putting the accent ~ 1/2 up on the wall with some highlights under the sink.

Thoughts?

• cakelly1226
    11 years ago

I like the idea of the bricks- I know the color is different but I will post again the brick if you want to see sizing. I adore that mosaic and think 2 rows of bricks, followed by the 3 line mosaic would be perfect. Wish you did your kitchen first! I totally would have stolen it- I love it.

• melissastar
    11 years ago

I really like the mosaic with your countertop. You ended up in the right place!

• a2gemini
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks CK - your kitchen is still great and was part of my inspiration. (as well as Poohpup!)

Thanks Mellssa - glad I found GW during the process - only wish I had found it even earlier - I always feel that I am one step behind the process and struggling to make fast decisions.

• dilly_ny
    11 years ago

The mosaic is such a great complement to your Buckingham and cabinets. It's going to look fabulous!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

When thinking about using your accent tiles, think about how much stuff you have on your counters...the accents are expensive so you want to make sure they show. If you have a lot of stuff down low, consider putting the accents higher.

• mom2sethc
    11 years ago

Hi!

Your mosaic looks awesome with your countertops! I recently replaced an old backsplash so I know how frustrating it can be to find "the right one'! I'm posting a pic of mine just to add to your ideas on how to mix your field tile and mosaics.

• rhome410
    11 years ago

WONderful choices! The mosaic seems to have the perfect colors, and the crackle is simple and with a little extra beauty. I prefer the idea of the brick pattern with the 2.5 by 5's to the squares.

• badgergal
    11 years ago

I concurs that the mosaic is perfect with your counters and the field tile. Now if it just had some stainless tiles in the mix you would be following in your soul sisters footsteps!
    So did you order the tile today?

• EATREALFOOD
    11 years ago

Those are very nice choices. It's going to look great. The mosaic is really beautiful with the granite and the white makes the cabinet/granite color "pop".

• a2gemini
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you again for your support. I am so excited that everyone is liking my final choices! It means so much to me as I am so bad at these things.

Good things to think about - currently not much out on my countertop and hoping to keep it that way - but things have a tendency to expand to all available space!

I was planning on one run of accent but could do 2 or maybe just a bit of accent under the sink window.

Badger - at least I have some copper so we can still be "sole mates" .

The next few weeks are going to be crazy at work - so might not be living on GW as much - but will try to read even if I can't respond (I have a rule - no GW blogging while at work)

Thanks again and hope to order the tile this week.

• a2gemini
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ok - I am set on a design for the tile but am looking for little medallions that would enhance this - I tried pulling little pieces off the Beach mosaic - but just not doing the trick.
    Any suggestions?
    Thanks again!!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

There are a whole ton of decorative metallics that would look great...pick one with a color tone that blends with your mosaic...it'd be great.

• a2gemini
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Annie - I will check out this source!