Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crescent50

New kitchen- Granite Ideas

crescent50
13 years ago

After over 2 years of planning & lots of help from GW, our kitchen just started going in our new home. There is lots of trim work to do and the island still needs to be installed but we are getting excited.

We are going to look at granite this week so am looking for suggestions. Floor will be hardwood-early american finish and walls are vellum by BM. I am planning on using dark red as an accent in the room.

I love the look of typhon bordeux but unfortunately don't have pictures to post.

If anyone has any ideas, I'd love to hear them :) Thanks so much.

Overall Kitchen:

Desk Nook:

We borrowed a few inches from the pantry and recessed it into the wall. The vellum yellow paint will go here too.

Wet Bar:

New Dishes and Accent Color:

Comments (18)

• riverspots
    13 years ago

My thoughts would lean toward a cream/rust combo like gold delicatus or golden persa. Only sure way to know is to bring home a sample. The typhoon Bordeauxs I've seen had a lot of gray in them but slabs vary.

• crescent50
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks riverspots-- I will look up both of those stones.

• cienza
    13 years ago

I looked at the typhoon bordeux as well, but it was too red for our application. With your cabinet stain, the red tones will blend in alot with them and most of the cream and black tones will stick out. If you choose a green tone or blue, it will directly contrast with the red tones you have. Ocean Blue/Baracuda Blue/Bross Blue all have red tones in them to compliment your cabinetry, but you'll see more of the color in the stone. If those are too wild for you, check out Butterfly Green/Peacock Green. They both have flecks of black, cream, shimmery and or gold tones to show off your cabinets. If you like the wild exotic stones, check out Wild Sea/Green Sea. It has peaches, greens and even violets to offset your cabinets. If it was my space, I would absolutely stay away from browns - it'll get lost and all meld together unless that's the look you prefer.

• crescent50
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Cienza!
    I forgot to mention that the island is painted maple in a greystone color (a creamy grey if that makes any sense).
    I like the way the peacock green picks up that cream color so will add it to the list of stones to look for on Thursday.

Any other thoughts or suggestions??

• peytonroad
    13 years ago

What about Ladies dream/Juparana Angelica. You would have to pick one without the pick in it...

Here is a link that might be useful: picture

• cienza
    13 years ago

Missed this one: Rain Forest. It comes in varying shades of earthtones. On the pricey side, but very beautiful. Although it is sold as granite or marble, it is actually classified as a serpentine. It has tones of greens, yellows, browns, burgandy or red. In person, this is stunning. I've seen it in tiles too so if the slab price is scary, accents could stretch your budget.

• crescent50
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Just as I suspected- this is going to be a hard choice!
    Every picture I look at, I love.

I am hoping that something will jump out at me when I see it in person. Price is definitely going to be an issue so I hope I don't wind up loving the most expensive piece of stone they have :) !

• cienza
    13 years ago

crescent50, I'm sorry to tell you that exact thing happened to us. A most expensive piece is what we went with. After narrowing the choices down to five, we took home chunks of each and put them on the cabinetry. My husband and I both made a list in order of preference of which we liked best, second best etc. It was number one on both of our lists. It shined over all the others and was one of the first stones we looked at months ago(and yes, I viewed hundreds of slabs). Price was an issue for us so we had to sit down and make a list of items to sacrifice in order to make it happen. Every single thing on the 'scratch-it' list was worth ditching in order to get the one we both loved.

• crescent50
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Cienza-- Care to share any pictures or tell the name of the stone? If you love it that much, I am sure it will be worth the sacrifice to make it work!

Good thing you and your husband both agreed :)

Not kitchen related but we had a similar experience this past weekend while walking our out of town relatives through the house. To save money, we opted to go with carpets on the second floor but when showing them the bedrooms, both of us commented that we wish they could have been hardwood. My uncle said that it wasn't too late to switch it so we called the builder to get a quote. The $5000+ increase is a little hard to swallow but we are thrilled that we made the change :)

• cienza
    13 years ago

Do a search for Blue Louise - I'll get to pictures some day...

• e4849
    13 years ago

As much as I love Blue Louise, I would be very careful about using it. It is a once seen-never forgotten granite. You will either love it or hate it after a while. It doesn't lend itself to subtlety, and I think your color scheme is welll coordinated, but doesn't have room for turquoise. I think it really takes a careful hand to do it well.

• boxerpups
    13 years ago

Blue Louisa or Van Gogh might be a little too much for
    your kitchen. But, if you are in love with this granite
    than only you can decide.
    Here it is...

Copper Canyon

Mascarello (My favorite for your space)

And here are some others that might work for your too.
    ~boxerpups

Yellow River

Blue Storm

Red Marinace

Verniz Tropical

Red Dragon

Iron Red

Bordeaux

Niagara Gold

• daki
    13 years ago

Niagara Gold was on my short list back when we looked for granite and I think it would look lovely. I've also always loved Nepson gold, and think it would look nice in your kitchen as well. Here are some pictures I saved from back when we were granite shopping:

Nepson Gold:

From granites
    \

Another picture of a Niagara Gold slab:

From granites

• crescent50
    Original Author
    13 years ago

WOW- those are some beautiful pictures-- thanks to all for the inspiration.
    Not sure whether I am brave enough to go with some of those stones but am sure I will go to bed tonight dreaming of granite :)

Boxerpup- that yellow river looks beautiful to me-- kind of reminds me of the Grand Canyon.

• crescent50
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well- we went, we saw and now I am more confused than ever! UGH!
    I felt like I was all over the place but at least I was able to rule out a few :)

On the short list (stones I liked that also didn't break the bank): yellow acapulco, star beam, mascarello and Crema Bordeaux.

I am going back on Saturday morning & they are going to pull a few more Crema Bordeaux slabs for me to compare. I really like the colors but I need 3 slabs so want to be sure.

In the meantime, if anyone has additional suggestions or pictures of crema borbeaux, I'd love to see them.

Thanks so much

• boxerpups
    13 years ago

Crescent50,

The wonderful thing about CB is that the movement can be
    carried with varying stones. If you find two slabs that
    are similar and a third that is a distant match it will
    still look amazing, because the colors really flow.
    Of course be sure you like all three slabs, that way you
    won't feel like you are trying to make it work but
    will find you enjoy the patterns together.

Here are a few images... I am so glad you said CB because
    I was just about to post some more yellow river until
    I saw that you visited the Granite shop to find a new love.

Hope these help.
    ~boxerpups

I am a huge fan of Chloe"sMom's kitchen. She chose
    Creama Bordeaux in her amazing kitchen. Here is a
    tiny preview.

Creama Bordeaux

CB from Stoneshub

CB from Legendary Stone

CB from Rocky Top

Here is a link that might be useful: Your granite name (old GW post)

• michellemarie
    13 years ago

I think my kitchen is very similar to yours as far as finishes and style go. I went with Yellow River and I just love it. I also considered Typhoon Bordeaux, Mascarello, Persia Delicatus, and Carnival. It did take me awhile to find slabs of Yellow River I would be happy with. The nice thing about this granite is that I was able to go with a lot of finishes in my kitchen and the granite tied everything together.
    I have a stainless appliances, a stainless sink, a copper sink, oil rubbed bronze fauctes, and a combination of antique pewter hardware and bronze hardware. The granite also tied the cabinet finishes together nicely.
    Good luck and all your choices sound wonderful. Can't wait to hear what you decided on.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• gillycat
    13 years ago

i was going to go with the crema bordeaux until i met ladies dream and fell head over heels.
    My cabinets are light, so not like yours but I have a dark china hutch nearby as well as having the dark reddish wood in the nearby powder room which has the ladies dream on and looks quite stunning - everyone who sees it agrees

I love the movement and colours of this granite

I don't seem to be able to find my pics so will take more tomorrow for you. but do consider this granite.