Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dejongdreamhouse

Kitchen Layout - Transitional with Dual Islands

dejongdreamhouse
12 years ago

My hubby has been playing with Home Designer and came up with this design for our new kitchen. This is our 'forever house' so we're trying to design it with the next 30ish years in mind. In general, we're using as much universal design in the first floor as we can afford. We don't need most of it now, but we are designing with my brain injury and my mom's arthritis in mind. So for me, that means cork floors in addition to the ICF walls for sound proofing, and more subtle design choices (no swirling granite or random tile background). For my mom, that means pulls instead of knobs, rockers instead of switches, etc. I love to cook and buy most of our food in bulk, so a large walk in pantry was a must. It's not shown in these photos, but my 9'x9' pantry is just to the right of the command center which is across from the island, but not designed in these photos. The other unique feature is the baking center, which is a lowered table between the kitchen and dinette. We made it open on 3 sides so it is wheelchair accessible, and also room for my toddler son to 'help' me bake.

What do you think?

*bird's eye view.*

Here is a link that might be useful: de Jong Dream House

Comments (3)