Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lee333_gw

Please Help with White Kitchen Color Selection

Lee333
10 years ago

I have tired, dated oak cabinets in my kitchen. We may move in a few years so I want to redo the cabinets in a color that will be timeless and I like the idea of lighter colors.

I have a friend in the cabinet business who can give me two choices in a light cabinet - an off white ivory or white white cabinet at a good price. The white white is a little to modern for my home.

The off white is a Victorian ivory. Does ivory work as a white kitchen or when people talk about a white kitchen being classic are they talking about more of a white white?

The ivory color is almost the shade of my bisque appliances (which we plan to replace). I understand that bisque appliances are dated but would that shade in a cabinet be?

Thanks all!

This post was edited by Lee333 on Tue, Jul 16, 13 at 14:49

Comments (36)

• TXBluebonnet11
    10 years ago

Why don't you paint your existing cabinets white? We did this in our last home and it looked like we had put in brand new cabinets. The old oak cabinets were painted in White Dove by Benjamin Moore, using a satin oil based finish. If was a nice soft white that wasn't too stark. If you have solid oak cabinets, they may be of higher quality than the new ones you are considering, so that's something to consider as well. Our old oak cabinets looked great and it was a lot cheaper and less messy than buying new ones. We also upgraded the trim and added more detailed moldings and embellishments to the cabinets before we painted them. It looked like a new kitchen for a fraction of the price.

Here is our BEFORE picture...

This post was edited by TXBluebonnet11 on Tue, Jul 16, 13 at 17:59

• TXBluebonnet11
    10 years ago

Here is the after picture. I will post a few more...

This post was edited by TXBluebonnet11 on Tue, Jul 16, 13 at 17:37

• TXBluebonnet11
    10 years ago

Another BEFORE photo (taken before we purchased the house several years ago)...

• TXBluebonnet11
    10 years ago

And after...

• TXBluebonnet11
    10 years ago

And another one. The first one shows the cabinets when we were in the process of replacing the backsplash. I didn't mean to hijack your thread; I just wanted to show you what paint could do.

This post was edited by TXBluebonnet11 on Tue, Jul 16, 13 at 17:57

• Lee333
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Your cabinets look beautiful. Dove white is a color I have been considering for trim.

I thought about painting the oak cabinets but mine have a cathedral arch on each panel at the top which makes them super country looking. Not a simple round arch - an angled arched.
    And the hardware would have to be redone also.

I am thinking if we painted them white we would end up with white, country looking painted panels. I am not sure that would be an improvement. In your case you dont have the arch to begin with so you got more of a modern look..

This post was edited by Lee333 on Tue, Jul 16, 13 at 19:19

• deedles
    10 years ago

How's about keeping the boxes and painting them and then upgrading the doors and drawer fronts?

• TXBluebonnet11
    10 years ago

We refaced the cabinets in our even older house (the house before the one in the photo). We ordered new doors and drawer fronts and painted it all white to match. It looked amazing. Just like new and much cheaper than new cabinets. We did not go to the expense on the last house (the one in the pictures) because we knew we were moving. If you do choose to reface, you can even go from the standard cabinets to a full overlay, which will really give a higher end look.

This post was edited by TXBluebonnet11 on Tue, Jul 16, 13 at 22:02

• Barbarav
    10 years ago

TXB, your kitchen is beautiful! Great job.

• TXBluebonnet11
    10 years ago

Thanks Barbara. That's the kitchen from my last house. We will be starting the kitchen for our new home very soon. I'm still trying to decide if I should do white again. I will say, I never got tired of it. If you go to the white cabinets, Lee, I'm sure you will be happy. However you achieve them. I look forward to your after photos!

• Lee333
    Original Author
    10 years ago

We thought about refacing but we can get such a good price (at cost pretty much) on brand new thanks to our friend that I am not sure we would save much.

But we are limited to the white white modern or ivory..

It is hard to tell from photos the shade of white many of these kitchens are and if they are ivory.

• TXBluebonnet11
    10 years ago

Ok, if those are your options, the most timeless and safest choice is going to be the white. It need not be modern looking depending on the style of cabinet doors you choose. if you choose a classic door style and classic hardware, they will look classic. Choose a modern door style and modern hardware and they will look modern. In my mind, white is like a blank canvas and you can decorate around them in any style you choose. Just my opinion though. If you like the look of bisque, they could always be painted white later if you feel they are dated.

This post was edited by TXBluebonnet11 on Tue, Jul 16, 13 at 23:22

• Lee333
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The white white is to modern for our home I think.

the ivory is here...http://www.cabinetstogo.com/ic280Collectionfrm.asp?prodno=VICTORIA*WC

and the white is here..http://www.cabinetstogo.com/ic280Collectionfrm.asp?prodno=WHITE*WC

currently we have oak with cathedral arch and a handle.

• TXBluebonnet11
    10 years ago

Lee, I don't mind the cathedral arch and handle. I don't think they would give you a country look if redone. I think the key would be having them done professionally, where it's prepped and sanded well and the cabinets are sprayed with a sprayer as opposed to a paintbrush. And using a backsplash, counters, paint, etc that don't look country.

I looked at the links. Can you get the WHITE color cabinets in the cabinet style of the IVORY cabinets? If so, I would do that. The reason why the white is looking modern to you is because of the door style in the photo. I don't think that if you used the first door style in the white color that they would look that way at all. So my vote is white with the ivory colored door style. If the only way to get white is to get the modern cabinet style, I wouldn't go that direction. In this case, I'd reface and paint the existing cabinets.

I like cream colored cabinets, but I'm not sure about the color on these. The thing that would worry me is that they may not look either white or cream, but like the white paint got dingy. Is there any way you can get some samples and take them into your kitchen to see if the color works?

This post was edited by TXBluebonnet11 on Wed, Jul 17, 13 at 11:22

• susanlynn2012
    10 years ago

"the ivory is here..." I copied the link so it would be click-able in the Optional Link URL so I could view them easily and so could others.

Here is a link that might be useful: the ivory cabinets are here...

• susanlynn2012
    10 years ago

'and the white is here..' I copied the link so it would be click-able in the Optional Link URL so I could view them easily and so could others.

Here is a link that might be useful: White cabinets click-able link

• susanlynn2012
    10 years ago

TXBlueBonnet11, I love the White Dove Painted cabinets! Since your cabinets were in great shape with a straight edge and solid oak, that was the right decision for you. Your kitchen is now gorgeous!

• susanlynn2012
    10 years ago

The Ivory and the style door is very pretty and I think very traditional. I prefer the white Shaker doors since that is more my style but they are both very pretty and nice and (in my humble opinion) neither door style or color is outdated and both are being used today.

• Vertise
    10 years ago

The ivory looks to be a soft white not a yellow white. So it still looks definitively "white" from here and I would choose the softer one. Then again, you said the ivory was close in color to bisque appliances and the picture does not look that way!

I think people make too much of arches on their doors : )

Have you researched the quality of this manufacturer well?

• Lee333
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Unfortunately TXBluebonnet11,,, the choice is one or the other door color and style.

@lynn2006 thanks for making links.

Here is what my kitchen would likely look like with the painted cabinets. We would also have to put handles on in those areas to replace the ones on there now tho we would use a different style.

What do you all think of the oak with the cathedral arch painted white? Yay or Nay?

Here is a link that might be useful: Oak Painted White Cabinets

This post was edited by Lee333 on Wed, Jul 17, 13 at 11:16

• TXBluebonnet11
    10 years ago

Lee, the cream colored cabinet doors are very nice. One option is to purchase new doors and drawer fronts for the existing cabinets (you can choose exactly what you want this way). Then use hidden hinges and a full overlay on the fronts and install new hardware. The cabinets could be trimmed with richer molding and details before painting. This option would be more work for you to coordinate, but you could get exactly what you want.

If you want to go with new cabinets, I'd get the cream ones. If you find them too creamy, you could always paint them later. But you can't change the door style on the white ones - that's a permanent decision.I wouldn't get a door style I don't like just for the lighter color. I can't wait to see your new kitchen!

• Lee333
    Original Author
    10 years ago

If I went with the creamy what color ceiling and trim would you suggest?

I had planned to go with Dove White for the rest of my house - do you think that would work?

• susanlynn2012
    10 years ago

BM white dove OC-17
    It is so confusing since Linen White and Cloud White has white at the end while White Dove has white at the beginning. I love both Cloud White and White Dove and planned to paint my kitchen cabinets that color until painters said I really needed new cabinets as mine are not solid wood.

This post was edited by lynn2006 on Wed, Jul 17, 13 at 13:30

• Vertise
    10 years ago

I would have the paint matched for the trim in the kitchen and if you do the ceiling white. It shouldn't be an obvious difference in another room. Does White Dove blend with this cabinet color or are they quite different?

Consideration: Is this open concept with adjoining trim areas?

This post was edited by snookums2 on Wed, Jul 17, 13 at 11:49

• Ilene Perl
    10 years ago

I don't want to add to anyone's confusion, but I decided on cabinet paint color by their undertones. My granite is New Venetian Gold so I wanted a white with yellow undertones. The new doors were factory painted, the boxes were sanded and primed in matching color which is BM Canvas, I had 4 whites to choose from, KD from DIY place pointed out the undertones of cabinet doors to me....am sure you will love your new kitchen as much as I do.

src="http://i1073.photobucket.com/albums/w383/ilene84c/2016.jpg"; border="0" alt=" photo 2016.jpg"/>

"http://s1073.photobucket.com/user/ilene84c/media/2016.jpg.html"; target="_blank">

• susanlynn2012
    10 years ago

Ilene-84, I love your upgraded kitchen. I need to look into that BM Canvas as it looks like such a nice white in your pictures and one of my favorite granites is New Venetian Gold. I loved how you mixed hardware with both knobs and handles. I really like the layout of your kitchen.

• Ilene Perl
    10 years ago

Lynn, thank you!! If your picking New Venetian Gold canvas is a good choice, good luck with your kitchen!

Lee do you like how your cabinets will look painted? For me, I wanted a different look, with hidden hinges, so I needed new doors. What's interesting is that until I got a new table (which didn't shout country), everyone considered new kitchen still country....since new table it's considered transitional......(I thought it traditional, but will take transitional over country...lol).

• Ilene Perl
    10 years ago

Lynn, thank you!! If your picking New Venetian Gold canvas is a good choice, good luck with your kitchen!

Lee do you like how your cabinets will look painted? For me, I wanted a different look, with hidden hinges, so I needed new doors. What's interesting is that until I got a new table (which didn't shout country), everyone considered new kitchen still country....since new table it's considered transitional......(I thought it traditional, but will take transitional over country...lol).

{{!gwi}}

• Lee333
    Original Author
    10 years ago

iLene...your before pics look like my kitchen. No I dont think I would like the cabinets just painted white. They would still have the arch etc.

So just to be clear you had new doors put on and the rest of the cabinet painted? But you kept the old cabinets?

And you used the color BM Canvas?

What did the resurfacing work cost?

And who is KD from DIY :)

Thanks!

• debrak2008
    10 years ago

Don't mean to hijack but Ilene can you tell me about the item on your dining room wall? It looks like fabric to me.

• swan01
    10 years ago

Here is an after pic from our recent remodel in case it helps. The cabinet color is "Dover" from Brighton Cabinetry. Thanks

• swan01
    10 years ago

Here is a before picture. Thanks again!

• Lee333
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Nice...so
    you put in all new cabinets
    or did you resurface the old ones?

Very beautiful!

• swan01
    10 years ago

The cabinets are new. Thx

• Ilene Perl
    10 years ago

Lee, yes I used my old boxes, and replaced doors and drawer fronts. Cabinet doors cost aprox 1,300 (with slow closing hinges). I was the GC (had practice with small BR), my painter did the sanding/priming/painting of boxes (also had to do same for my walls which had textured paint). I hired a contractor who was also able to do wood work for me, I had cabinet above cooktop raised for microwave, and pushed out cabinet over refrigerator, also had (something I would recommend) drawer made for under cooktop, and pullout for sponges, he put on my hardware, and did tile work. Contractor also installed my floor and all kitchen appliances. Electrician did additional lighting, under counter lighting, and outlet for microwave. Total cost of kitchen was 14,000 (not including appliances). When I priced gutting my kitchen (leaving sofits), cost was 20,000, price without all the extras. Before starting kitchen I thought price was going to be 10,000. The only thing I didnâÂÂt purchase before was the BSâ¦.needed to see granite and cabinets together, but since kitchen took almost 6 weeks to complete I had time. I shopped for fabricator both by price and recommendations. The only person I would never use again was the contractor, who did excellent work, but was difficult to deal with. I knew what I wanted, shed many tears, but am very happy with my new kitchen.
    (I will look for manufacturer of doors if you want it).

debrak2008 the wall hanging is old tin ceiling tiles. This site may help. I was lucky I found it mounted at a flea market, but they can be put together to make art work by mounting on wood.

http://dishfunctionaldesigns.blogspot.com/2012/05/embossed-tin-ceiling-tiles-recycled.html