Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karalouise_gw

Has anyone heard of Antico Stella Notte granite?

karalouise
15 years ago

Hello. I was out at the granite yard today and fell in love with a honed Antico Stella Notte slab. I have looked all over the internet and through GW and cannot find ANYTHING on this granite! Has anyone ever heard of it or know it by another name? I also tried searching for it under "Starry Night" but found nothing. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Comments (11)

• bluekitobsessed
    15 years ago

Can you describe it? I'm not finding anything like it on my granite lists.

• karalouise
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Bluekit, thanks for helping me out. The honed slab was very similar to Virginia Mist and Soapstone but had some very unusual gold/ivory flecks and swirls. The polished slab looked nothing like the honed slab. I took pictures of the slab (see below) and am left scratching my head because I just fell in love with it in the yard, but the pictures aren't quite how I remember it!! I know computer screens vary greatly in color so that affects it, but I would love to see other images of it for comparison sake! My husband didn't see the slab in person but thinks the picture looks like an oil stained driveway:(

Here is a link that might be useful: photobucket

• neesie
    15 years ago

Hi karalouise! I fell in love and chose a stone that was not google-able and no one else had ever heard of either. I was made aware that some importers re-name their stones. Like you, my photograph doesn't look like the finished product I have in my kitchen. Luckily, I love what I have in my kitchen and don't really recognize the photograh.

Anyhoo, my point is: a rose by any other name is still a rose. (Shakespeare?)

• bluekitobsessed
    15 years ago

The closest I can find is Virginia Mist in this pic (there's V. Mist, V. Jet Mist, and regular Jet Mist). It's aggravating me because I know I've seen something like it not too long ago. It's very pretty! HTH and hope that by bumping it back to p.1, someone else can chime in.

• karalouise
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hey ladies! Thanks so much for your help! Neesie, I completely agree a rose is still a rose! My problem is that I am SO excited about this project that I want everything YESTERDAY!! Any picture etc. that is remotely close to what I am doing I want to get my hands on!! I am spending way too much time on the internet these days:)
    I love the VA Mist, blue kit. Right now, I am compiling all of these different countertop estimates from Level 1 granite up to Soapstone and VA Mist, Caesarstone etc. before I make any decisions. I am at the point right now where my project is "fluid". In addition to the remodel, we are bumping out our kitchen and family room 8 ft. So the new addition will be 8x42 ft. with the new kitchen being 21x21(see before pics and project pics if interested:) It seems like everyday there is some unforeseen expense that keeps chipping away at my granite budget!! Initially I wanted to do soapstone on the perimeter and buler's pantry with an African Mahogany butcher block top on the island........At this point I will be lucky if I can upgrade to laminate from plywood!! Fortunately, the only appliances I am replacing are my cooktop and refrigerator.
    It started when the excavator had to go deeper than originally thought to find the right soil for the footers. Then they found plumbing and wiring from the upstairs bathrooms in odd places, upstairs windows had to be moved to accomodate the roof and I am dealing with (and I knew this going in) trying to work a dropped beam with columns in the middle of my kitchen to support the upstairs bay window! Please tell me that it is completely normal to regret the decision to remodel!!
    Thanks for letting me vent!!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Photobucket

• neesie
    15 years ago

I can understand how you want everything done YESTERDAY! It is not easy living in the middle of a project, I'm sure. We're not doing nearly as much as you, but a lot of exterior stuff since we were hit by a hail storm in May. We decided to get completely brand new windows (5 of ours were broken in the storm). I love your six over six panes! Your kitchen and family room is lovely now! But I'm sure you'll enjoy all the extra space your addition has to offer. Sorry I can't be of help with your granite choice but I'll leave all that fun for you! Keep posting!

• pbrisjar
    15 years ago

My Googling produced this:

http://www.charlesluck.com/ourstone/image_anticoStellaNotte.cfm

It's all TM'ed so it's likely a renamed granite. Not one that I've seen before, though.

Here is a link that might be useful: Very pretty

• karalouise
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The extra space is going to make a huge difference for us. Our family room is currently 13x21 and the 5 of us just don't fit comfortably in it! It seems that we end up spread out all over the house because there isn't anywhere for all of us to sit.
    I agree that the kitchen is not bad now but I have my issues:) The main one being that my husband and I built our last home completely expecting to be there forever. The schools were terrible but we were planning on sending the kids to Catholic schools. Fast forward 8 years and there we were with 3 special education children who needed the services offered by the public schools......SO, we moved for better schools and I love our new home but since I picked out absolutely everything in my old kitchen I have had to get used to someone elses taste in this one. The worst thing is that it makes me absolutely sick to be getting rid of the granite. Because we will be adding so much counter space it would be difficult to match, plus if I were to find a way to incorporate the current granite I would have been more limited in my cabinet choices and I'm happy that I have a clean slate to start with.
    This was a rough spring! We are in Northern Virginia and we had tons of storms. We lost 2 trees but fortunately all of our windows were safe! Thank goodness, because with all of the new things I want for this house I would have been sorely disappointed to be replacing perfectly good windows! Toodleooo!!

• karalouise
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi pbrisjar! Interestingly enough, Charles Luck is the yard I was at when I came across the Stella Notte! I found something called Azul Notte online that looks very similar. Thanks so much for taking the time to look!

• mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9
    15 years ago

I know I have seen this at one of our local stone yards. I have seen it honed and "not honed" Honed, it looks very different than the non-honed variety. At first glance, you wouldn't think it was the same stone. Then, you realize it is the same stone.

Below is the link to the stone yard I thought I saw it in. Their phone number should be on there if you want to give them a call and ask about the stone.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fresno marble and granite

• lovemcm
    15 years ago

I knew I'd seen it before. It's at a yard here in RI called Matrix Nevada. Here is the link to the page. Click on the small photo of the stone to get a big photo. Googling on matrix nevada, there wasn't much, and some of that was brushed, which might look like the honed you liked. It is a gorgeous stone in person... Hope this helps.

Here is a link that might be useful: Stella Notte a/k/a Matrix Nevada