Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mtnrdredux_gw

Good source for alarm clocks?

mtnrdredux_gw
12 years ago

I would like to get my girls, 8 and 9, alarm clocks for Christmas (DH says I am a master at plying our kids with "non-gift-gifts").

I want them to be for bedside, so not huge. Both of them think of themselves as sophisticated, so id like them to be feminine but not childish (no princesses, fairy or hello kitty). They both like muted colors (gee, how did that happen?)

This is one of those items I feel I have seen lovely examples of, but now when I go to search i get nowhere ...

TIA

Comments (14)

• hhireno
    12 years ago

How about these?
    LL Bean clocks

I like that the moonbeam one allows you to wake to a gentle light, a bell, or both.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

thanks, I did come across the BIg Ben one, but I wanted something a touch more feminine

i really like the ones in the link, but 75 is too much.

Function is not too important. They will probably like the grown-up feel of having a clock but it'll still be us rousing them!

Here is a link that might be useful: one could use these bedside

• lisaincalifornia
    12 years ago

I think when most kids today think "alarm clock"--they think "Ipod". There are tons of options out there for ipod alarm clocks. It is a dual purpose thing, too--because many work as an ipod charger and speaker. I got my daughter one that glows in her room--she can change the color on it, but during the daytime it looks white.

It is similar to this:

Here is a link that might be useful: ipod alarm clock

• trielders
    12 years ago

Try Pottery Barn Teen. I bought my 9 year old grandaughter one from them last year.

• Oakley
    12 years ago

I'm on my second L.L. Bean Moon Clock, in pink. It's not a hot pink but nice and muted.

I adore waking up to the "moon beam", even the dog knows it's time to wake up. lol

Only one drawback, if you don't turn the dials in the back the exact way stated, then the alarm can break. That's why I ended up replacing mine.

They come in all different colors, you can find them on Amazon too.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, Oakley, maybe I should see them in person -- moon beam sounds so nice!

Lisa, thanks, I know they would love that but we really eschew giving them personal technology. I see so many kids walk around tethered to these things, and ignoring their families. We have one TV, one shared MAC for the kids, and one ipod for the whole family. We do everything we can to make it easy and pleasant to read, draw or play outside. In our area you can get away with this until they are in middle school. By that time, we may all want to ignore each other, LOL

PB Teen! Great idea they love that catalogue.

• Oakley
    12 years ago

Mtn, one thing about the clock I like is it has backup batteries in case you lose power. It serves as a great night light too because the face is lit up.

I also like that it isn't digital.

• lisaincalifornia
    12 years ago

I see what you are saying about the ipod. I guess I just see it more as an alternative to a radio these days. I listened to my radio in my room a lot as a kid, and that is how my kids use their ipods. I have 3 kids, and none of them use their ipods with headphones unless we are going on a trip (like on an airplane). Their ipods stay in their docks in their rooms, and they just listen to it like a personal stereo.

They don't carry them out to the livingroom or out to dinner. If they did that, I wouldn't love it either! I have 3 kids (11, 14, 17)--and we are a very close knit family. But I agree there are some kids who do get lost in technology, and that can be a big issue for some families. Good for you for thinking ahead!

• bestyears
    12 years ago

What do you think of this one from West Elm?

Here is a link that might be useful: White on White Alarm Clock

• anrol
    12 years ago

Check out CLOCKY! The alarm goes off, it drops to the floor and rolls around the room until you catch it and tun it off! I want one! They cost about $50.00. There is also a TALKY.

• ellenm08
    12 years ago

Definitely PB kids, maybe ZGallerie depending on your style, and to be honest, Target. My favorite alarm clock is from there - it looks great on my night stand and has a nice peaceful beep wake up.

• lynxe
    12 years ago

I need to learn to insert multiple links after or before comments. In the interim, I found this:

http://www.theclockdepot.com/Howard_Miller_Kegan_645-615_Illuminated_Dial_Alarm_Clock.html

So cool! But one would have to remember to wind it up. I want it:

http://www.etsy.com/listing/83085101/retro-vintage-german-travel-brass-alarm

Pretty vintage look, although a little more expensive:

http://www.farmhousewares.com/antiquebluevintagestylemetalclock.aspx

I'm made in the USSR
    You don't know how lucky you are, girl
    Made in the USSR:

http://www.etsy.com/listing/63887650/vintage-russian-mechanical-alarm-clock

I like this one, too:

http://www.etsy.com/listing/83085101/retro-vintage-german-travel-brass-alarm

• lynxe
    12 years ago

How odd. The last link was supposed to have been to an entirely different clock, but in fact, what got posted seems to be the same as the second one.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Lynxe,

You make a wonderful personal shopper ... thank you! The last two are no longer listed, must have sold?

I already found something though. It is helpful to get two things that are very similar, as they are still at that age (8 and 9) where it is a big calamity if one is clearely nicer/bigger/better (sigh). I got one with a daisy on it and one with a horse. They are pretty darn cheap so they may or may not be ugly, but I liked the size ... can always make it "with love from Santa" if it turns out disappoinitng! LOL

Here is a link that might be useful: young girls alarm clock