Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
audry_barber

practical range hood question

Audry Barber
11 years ago

To those of you with glass (or partially glass) range hoods, do you find them difficult to keep clean? I'd picked out an all stainless hood, but the one thing I'm not crazy about is that the lights in it are at the back.:

I found another for about the same price that has the lights at the front, but it's the style with a stainless center and chimney and a curved glass canopy.

I like both styles equally, and I definitely prefer the lights at the front, but between grease and dust it seems like a glass range hood would have to be wiped down pretty much every day to stay looking good. I keep up on cleaning, but I'm not sure I'd really keep up with that kind of maintenance.

Oh, and while I do want a ducted hood that actually moves some air and heat to the great outdoors, I don't have a pro-style range, so I'm not really concerned with the difference in the size of the uptake area between the two. (The ancient range hood we just took out when we demo'd the kitchen was a recirculating one and I couldn't even use it - the first time I turned it on after we moved into the house there was a loud crashing noise as the plastic blades on the fan all snapped off and went crashing around the housing!)

Comments (8)