Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tigernyc

30 inch, 32 inch or 36 inch farm sink?

tigernyc
15 years ago

I am looking to get a farm sink (white or stainless) for my kitchen -- hopefully one bowl. It will be in the middle of a 12 foot run of counter. Will 36 inches be way too big? I am having a hard time figuring out what size of sink will look right in that run of counter. Thanks!

Comments (15)

• bayareafrancy
    15 years ago

I have a 30 inch, because that was the biggest I could fit. I would love love love a 36er. I've only heard very enthusiastic praise here from folks who have the 36 inch ones. There is always another dirty pot/pan to be added when cooking...I think a 12 foot run deserves a trough!

*lusting after a 12 foot run of counter*

francy

• tigernyc
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yikes, I meant to say 10 foot run of counter! My bad. Thanks for your input :)

• amberley
    15 years ago

tigernyc-

I am planning a 36" soapstone apron sink. Although my counter run is similar to yours, 12' (including the sink), there will be hutch cabs to the counter on either end (taking up the back 15" of about 7 of the 12). One of my criteria was that it would be big enough to bathe a baby in, or a huge pot.

BTW, my parents have a 30" Shaw and I think that is still a great size. Will your sink be centered on anything? If so, you may want to choose your size based on the relationship to that. I am, for example, putting my sink centered on a window (I am a sucker for symmetry) that measures 42" from outside molding to outside molding. I thought that the 36" sink would proportionally look best (as opposed to the 30" or 32").

If you have the room, and I would say that 10 feet sounds like you do, I would go with the 36".

BTW Francy, I like the trough idea ;)

• Jean Farrell
    15 years ago

I have only a 9 foot run of counter and I have a 36 inch Shaw's sink, and I don't think it looks too big at all. It is in front of a window that is the same width or wider (can't actually picture it right now) and it looks great.

Our kitchen is not done yet, so I haven't used by sink really, but I'm looking forward to having all that space to pile up dishes etc.

• bluekitobsessed
    15 years ago

This is a 30" Shaw's sink in a 10' run of cabinets and a 36" sink base. I'm thrilled just to get away from the double bowl sink. I don't think an extra 6" would make that much difference.

• jeanar
    15 years ago

Stupid question, but a 30" will hold a cookie pan, right? I expect a cookie pan is 17" long, at the most, so 30" should fit with room to spare. But thought I'd check here, to be sure. I'm thinking I want a smaller farmhouse sink and more counterspace.

• julienpete
    15 years ago

We are doing the 30" single bowl, don't know how long our counter is though.

• bluekitobsessed
    15 years ago

Jeanar, a cookie sheet will most definitely fit in my 30" x 18" Shaw's sink -- there's one right now. I have never been confused with a neat freak :)

• canuck99
    15 years ago

Installed a 36 in Villory & Bosch double sink. Cookie sheet easily fits in each side. The island that it fits in is 8' 6" fells great.

• alice462
    15 years ago

We are doing a 36" farm sink - but am going with the Whitehaus with the large bowl/small bowl -- large bowl 24"/small bowl 8". Although I wanted a large bowl for big pots, dogs, babies, etc. I still like the convenience of having a smaller bowl for disposal area. Are still in the planning stages, so I don't have any 'real' expereince with it -- just my thoughts. It will be centered under a triple window with large window in middle, two narrow windows on the sides. Also, my cabinetmaker reminded me that with a 36" sink the sink cabinet will be 39 1/2". It is in a 12 1/2 ft. run of counter.

Here is a link that might be useful: whitehaus sink

• kishoris
    last year

I realize this post is years old, but was wondering if edlakin finds the 36 inch Shaw’s side drain location user friendly or a challenge to wash down food from the opposite end? This is the same sink we plan to order

• Helen
    last year

I have a 36” farmhouse sink with a left rear drain and it is super functional. I can stack dishes on one side and leave the side with the drain open. It also makes the sink cabinet more functional since the pipes don’t split it in half so i can fit a roll out trash container and a garbage disposal.

In terms of cleaning, there is no more issue in my experience than any other sink. I always swipe the bottom of a sink with a sponge and a bit of Dawn to clean but i did that with my standard style sink. I use the spray attachment to hose down large bits. My sink is well constructed in terms of proper slope to drain. Since it is copper, i don’t have to scrub so cleaning is much easier than my old Kohler enamel.

• Ellen Allard
    last year

@Helen Can you share the brand of your 36" farmhouse sink?

• Helen
    last year

@Ellen Allard My sink is from Havens Metal.

Havens Metal

When I was remodeling I did a lot of research on copper sinks once I decided I wanted one and so I knew that I wanted a sink that had a living patina and not any kind of artificial factory patina.

The sink is expensive - a luxury but I love it. The other maker of high quality sinks is Rachiele and they are equivalent. Havens actually fabricated the Rachiele sinks for many years until they went their separate ways.

When I purchased my sink, Havens was about $1000 less for the same configuration. The quality is equivalent but Havens is a slightly larger operation and makes more than sinks so they have economy of scale to some degree.

I do have a less expensive copper sink in my guest bath with an artificial factory finish. I was fine with that because it just doesn't get the same kind of wear from people washing their hands a few times a week. That sink is from Premier Copper Products. I mention them because they do have some great copper stuff that is well priced. My hood is a custom job from them and they also did a custom copper medallion my designer sketched for them. I also have some copper tiles from them interspersed in my back splash as well as switch plates. Premier Copper