Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
herbie3

How can I make this less noticeable?

Herbie3
12 years ago

I had a soda bottle explode in my basement a while back while I was on vacation so it sat there for over a week. I can't get the stain out so I wanted to get something that covered the stain so I picked up this bakers rack since it was a small space and hard to find something that was the right size for. The only problem is I can't figure out how to make it less noticeable that it is slightly larger than the wall it is against (which it has to be to cover the stain). Any advice?

Bakers Rack

Comments (17)

• yayagal
    12 years ago

I don't think the table works there unless you put the sofa against the wall and use the table as an end table to the sofa. That may work. I've attached a site that tells how to remove the stain. Go down to the section on the page that says soda stains.

Here is a link that might be useful: soda stains

• nhb22
    12 years ago

Hard to tell what your room configuration is from that photo, but how about just putting a small area rug or runner to run behind the sofa and over the stain. Then, turn the bakers rack lengthwise along the other wall.

• Herbie3
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the responses, the other wall that you're saying to put it against is actually a closet so I can't put it on that wall. The green piece of furniture next to the bakers rack is actually a chair and if I turn it sideways it will extend too far into the hallway and not face the TV anymore. Do you think there is any way I could put something behind the open space in the rack?

• nhb22
    12 years ago

Again, it's just hard to tell without more photos. :)

• Herbie3
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'll definitely post some more later tonight. I just happened to have that one on my phone. Thanks again!

• Oakley
    12 years ago

I'm with NHB. Put a rectangle area rug which will still have to extend a bit from the wall to cover the stain. Then put a large silk plant on it. You can get some nice silks at low cost.

• Olychick
    12 years ago

if you have the same carpet in the closet that is right there, you may be able to cut the stain out and replace it with that carpet and put the stained piece in the closet - maybe?

• Fori
    12 years ago

Since it's a basement I suppose the lighting won't support a houseplant. But I could see a long pothos-type plant on the end of the rack with the bulk of the plant hanging over the back, or even something large and tall in a pot on the floor behind the extra bit of shelf. Of course custom sized houseplants aren't exactly a quick fix.

• Herbie3
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Everybody seems to have good idea and I appreciate them. I'm a little bit attached to the idea of keeping the bakers rack though mostly because I like it and partially because it will be tough to return and I don't have anywhere else to put it. Does anybody know if it would be possible to find something resembling that wood paneling that I have on my wall? If I could find something close to that I may have another idea

• erinsean
    12 years ago

We had a spot on the carpet and we cut a piece from under the sofa to replace the carpet with the stain. Not noticable at all. If not that, then how about a tall artificial plant to put behind the edge of your bakers rack that sticks out? Or you may find at a salvage yard or somewhere like that...a tall porch column and put it in the space behind the edge of your rack that sticks out....painted however you please. Make it part of your decorations.

• yayagal
    12 years ago

Is the stain on the wall or on the carpet?

• nhb22
    12 years ago

I'm confused, too.

olychick - Good idea to cut out the carpet. I forgot that we had to do that when our dog chewed some of our carpet into shreds.

• mzdee
    12 years ago

What kind of soda was it? I've gotten some pretty tough stains out of carpet. Try Windex (not the generic). I removed nail polish with this. You might also try acetone. You will need good ventilation and gloves, but this removed varnish stain from furniture that had been on carpet for a long time in the same spot. Food colorings (if that is the problem from the soda) can be removed with a little effort. Good luck.

• susanka
    12 years ago

Isn't that the stain (on the carpet) we can see under the left end (as we face it) of the baker's rack?

I like the baker's rack too, but this seems a bit of an odd place for it to me, especially since it sticks out, even if you put something behind it.

The cut-out-the-carpet suggestions seem like good ones to me. I hope you can resolve this and maybe find another imaginative place for your baker's rack.

• lascatx
    12 years ago

I like bakers racks, but that one just doesn't fit on the too small wall. It doesn't make sense to me.

I am also confused where the stain is. I have gotten some pretty disgusting things out of old carpet and I think it would be worth trying. I would try Oxyclean dissolved in hot water, Capture, Oreck or other dry carpet cleaner (this Resolve makes one buy not sure if it is as good), a steam cleaner (you can rent, borrow or buy) or a paste cleaner (sold in a tub and reminded me of the school paste of my early childhood). My mom used to buy that cleaner and swore by it, but I can't think of the name of it right now. I'd think you could get the stain out or at least improved enough to not have to be too worried about it.

• les917
    12 years ago

I would just stick a tall potted plant or a floor lamp with a larger base on the spot. The shelf looks oddly placed, and honestly for me would be worse than seeing the spot on the carpeting.

• Oakley
    12 years ago

If you look closely, you can see the stain barely sticking out under the rack, on the left side.

But since the bottle exploded, it possibly hurt the wall also.

Okay, back to the rack. You really want to keep it there, right? To fill in the gap between the rack and sofa, place a tall faux plant on the floor. Or put a faux plant which could hang down in that space.

Since this is your basement, is this where you entertain or is it just for you? If company doesn't go down there very much, I wouldn't worry about it.