Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lisaa007

Who are you, part II

lisa_a
13 years ago

I didn't start the original thread - azwildcats did - but I had so much fun reading it that I don't want to lose it now that it has hit the posting limit. So here's part II.

If you haven't introduced yourself yet, please do!

And happy birthday, azwildcats!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Who are you?

Comments (42)

• prairiegirl2010
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I am a terrible kitchen forum lurker/stalker....I've been here for months, daily...hourly sometimes. My kitchen demo began July 15th and is a little behind, but I have running water, cabinets and a few other things. Work in progress as are most, but I almost hate to have it end as my dreaming will have to end too!!

I would love a quick how to on posting pictures so I can get some up soon!

Prairiegirl

• lisa_a
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Welcome, prairiegirl. You'll find photo posting instructions in the 3rd entry in the "Read me..." post.

Here is a link that might be useful: Read me if you're new....

• azwildcats70
    13 years ago

Thanks for the birthday wish! p.s. The kitchen was a big hit last night at the birthday party. So much so, that I kept having to shoo people back outside.

• madamg2u
    13 years ago

Hello I'm MadamG2U and have been a lurker for months. I own a brownstone and I'm going thru a first floor home reno. I've spent hours on this site. I've picked up some great tips, but most of all when I think this is more than I can take someone always says something to pick up my spirits and let me know I'll make it thru this,

I am starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel dim but a light.

MadamG2U

• John Liu
    13 years ago

I'm glad this thread was continued, because the loud meowing reminds me that I forgot to mention the most important family members of all (in their minds).

Fierce Hunter. She is responsible for most of the mouse-gathering.

Inscrutable Nag. Part-Siamese, and lets you know it.

Dearly Departed. In a happier moment (perhaps not for him), this is our late Cat.

• momand3boys
    13 years ago

I took a leave of absence for a few weeks and so many people posted! Wow! I am mostly a lurker but I am learning so much that I would otherwise not know! Thank you to everyone here!

I am 40 and a mother to 2 boys, 6 and 10, and married to a wonderful guy who I don't give enough credit to! I live in in MA and am a cost accountant for a mfg company. I wish I could be a SAHM but oh well...

We are in midst of picking out cabinets for our remodel, but I just can't seem to find what I am looking for. Very frustrating for someone who can't make a decision about anything! Any who...started in May in between both kids playing baseball and cub scouts and drove myself crazy! Then took a few weeks off to make the final arrangements for my parents 50th wedding anniversary for 75 people. Turned out perfect thanks to the DJ and after a short vacation to ME, back to the kitchen..

• jeff_from_oakville
    13 years ago

I'm Jeff and yep from a town named Oakville. I've been lurking for the past few weeks and have found lots of ideas. However We're in week 12 of our kitchen/great room reno and almost all the design decisions have been made... just waiting for the work to get done.

• flgargoyle
    13 years ago

I'm basically new here, having spent the last 3 years on Building a House, and Smaller Homes. My name is Jay, and I'm designing and re-designing the house I'm going to build on our rural property in upstate SC. It will be an empty-nest (hopefully!) and we look forward to enjoying the peace and quiet of the woods, and watching the passing of the seasons. We currently live in west central FL, so we have very little seasonal change.

I'm an avid cook, so the new kitchen needs to be bigger and better organized! The house will be very small by today's standards (~1200 sq ft) so I can afford a higher level of construction and trim. Hopefully it will be our last home!

• drybean
    13 years ago

I'm mostly a lurker and information-gatherer, but I'm getting ready to start our (mini) kitchen redo, so I imagine I'll be posting much more!

I live in Fairfield County, CT. We just relocated here about a year ago from the UK. It's our first time up in New England, and we're loving the distinct seasons...although maybe not so much the long cold winter we had!

2 small kids, 1 great husband, and 1 big furry dog.

• steelerfan_2010
    13 years ago

hi - thanks for starting this thread - it is nice to meet everyone!

I hail from southwest PA (Pittsburgh area) and have been reading this forum daily for about 1 year. Our kitchen reno completed in Apr-May 2010 and we are enjoying our new space. I learned many tips and gained much knowledge that helped us as we entered the demo phase.

I am 54 and DH is a bit older at 63. DH has 2 grown children and we have 5 grandchildren. The pic below is from last summer in Sedona, AZ. and the other pic is of our "dependents".
    {{gwi:1936145}}

{{gwi:1936146}}

Happy Birthday to azwildcats!

Go Stillers!

• fromthesouth
    13 years ago

I'm a 35 year old woman married to the man of my dreams and mother of 2 beautiful dogs. My DH and I live in the Midwest, but are originally from the south (hence the GW name!). We live in a beautiful Italianate that is over 100 years old, with a kitchen from the 50's. We are in the planning phase of a total kitchen remodel (and have been in earnest for about a year), but I truly believe (and hope) that all the planning will result in a better and more functional kitchen. I appreciate all the feedback from this site and look forward to being a more active contributor as soon as I figure out what I'm doing!!

• riley605
    13 years ago

I'm so glad you started a part II, lisa_a! I read through the entire first thread, and it's amazing how many names seems familiar to me ...

I never thought I'd be back here on a daily basis: GW took over my life (probably saved it!) when I was building my "forever" house from 2003-2005. Then there was that d**mned tornado ...

Oh! I'm a 43 yo SAHM to 2 gorgeous boys that look just like their daddy. I haven't seen too many of y'all from Tornado Alley - a hint, maybe? Yep, lived in OK most of my life, and am just now rebuilding my "forever 2.0" home after finding ourselves in the path of an F4 tornado in February of '09. We were all four home and walked out of the safe room completely unhurt, which is all that really matters. Homes can be rebuilt, right? And there were so many things that just missed the mark, since that was the first time I'd built a custom home. Since it wasn't meant to be the last, a gal's gotta look at the bright side and focus on all the ways the new house will be even better!

Our only pet (no pics?) is a wonderful farm dog named Hero. He's part blue-heeler, and was tossed out of the back end of a pickup on the road just outside our farm gate. Sweet thing, headed straight for the barn where my DH fell in love with him, then followed him up the hill to the house, where he's stayed every day since. We thought we lost him in the tornado, but he was outside the barn ready to go to work the very next morning. A little banged-up, we have no idea where he'd been, but DH was feeling so guilty about not protecting him better the night before that he couldn't have been happier to see him.

Let's see ... not that you would guess from this, but I have a degree in Journalism from OU, worked in advertising until 14 years ago when my oldest was born. I met a gorgeous long-haired rocker in 1990, married him, and turned him into the successful pecan farmer he is today. ;) IKR?

It's been a long 18 months, shuffling the kids around on the whims of the insurance company, but we're back out at the farm (living in my parents' home - they rebuilt a lot faster because they actually LIVE in Las Vegas most of the time) where we can watch our house progress about 50 yards away. Two houses on 400 acres of pecan trees, two houses that couldn't be more different. I'm disliking so many things about my mom's kitchen, but it's a great learning experience for recreating my dream kitchen! (Yeah, I reallyreally loved my kitchen when I finished the house in '05, but there are so many new and beautiful things to consider for a new one!)

It's a pleasure and a blessing to share and learn from such a varied, knowledgable, witty and GENEROUS group of people. GW feels very unique to me, on the web. A true community.

• drybean
    13 years ago

Riley-What an amazing story! I got teary reading the part about your pup. Thank the good Lord you are all well and safe.

I'm from TX originally, and lived in NW AR for 7 years, so I'm from your neck of the woods (just about, anyway). Looking forward to seeing your new & improved kitchen.

• allie22031
    13 years ago

I have been reading with interest.

I am 38 living in Northern Virginia and am in week 8 of my kitchen remodel. I am married with a 3rd grader and preschooler. I am trying to take deep breathes and just work through these last days/weeks of work to be done. Everything is functional in the new kitchen, but filthy and there is enough work to be done that I can't see moving in only to have to clean off pasta boxes etc. This has been quite the learning experience for me and I am drawn to this site multiple times a day. Thank you to everyone who has taken the time to read and respond to my varied questions. I am trying to respond to others more, now that I have some knowledge!

Allie

• julieh1926
    13 years ago

I, too, have lurked for some time with the occasional post. I found this site after our layout was done, but have learned so much from this forum. I first really learned about soapstone here, and took the plunge on that -- we're templating on Friday.

I also live in Northern Virginia with my husband of 12 years and our eight year old son (third grade -- how did that happen?) We're doing a complete gut of the heart of our home. We basically took our den, kitchen, dining platform (gotta love the 70's) and living room and are converting it to a formal dining room (where the den used to be) and have combined the kitchen, dining platform and living room into a kitchen/great room.

My husband did most of the construction and is currently installing the cabinets. We get templated for counters this week and floors should go in soon after that. We're hoping to be done by September -- which will be great since pulled our old hardwood floor up during the Feb snowstorms and have been living on plywood since! Who knew that I would actually look forward to sweeping a floor that's meant to be swept (as opposed to plywood that is impossible to sweep).

• kitchenaddict
    13 years ago

Hi ...

I already introduced myself in the original thread...

Just bumping this so that more will do the same...

Come on...don't be shy. We're all friends here.

KA:)

• debrak_2008
    13 years ago

I'm married with two teenagers, a cat and a dog, and live in western new york. Found this forum in, you guessed it, 2008. Couldn't understand why when searching for photos of kitchens a garden web site kept coming up.

We started remodeling a small 1926 farm house 5 years ago. DH does all the work (electrical, plumbing, drywall, etc.) himself so it takes a long time. My kitchen has been in a state of deconstruction/construction for this entire time.

The master bath is done (posted on the bath forum) and we are painting the new master bedroom right now. After that we have a new staircase from the bedroom down to the kitchen. Then we can work on the kitchen.

I have an interesting job in the insurance industry. I look at photos of houses all day. Actually I review reports for insurance companys to determine replacements costs and to alert them to hazards. Most of my time is spent looking at photos. Of course the kitchens are my favorite.

• ladyinthewoods
    13 years ago

Hello! I'm a proud lurker of three months. Everyone's thoughts, expertise, and opinions are greatly appreciated.

Hubby and I live in the middle of the midwest -- yes, in the middle of the woods, lol; this is our fourth house in four years. (I am somewhat weary, but game to give this place some updated love.

Previous homes have included a 100-y-o home, a 3-story townhome, our "dream" home (which we had to leave after a year due to job transfer), a greystone, a midrise condo, several apartments, and even hotels. Sigh.

We're definitely DIYers, learning as we go, trying to laugh as much as possible. :) At the moment, I do not have a kitchen (microwave in the living room, grill on the deck, bathroom sink, guest room for staging). Husband is tackling the kitchen ceiling. Waiting on hardwood and cabinets. Still deciding on other details at the last minute.

After the kitchen, I'll be hanging around the other forums (baths, garden, and so on), but I do love all the beautiful kitchen ideas and pics.

Someone said, "Whoever owns a home deserves it," and I believe it wholeheartedly -- for better and for worse. Happy to meet you all! Good to be in this together!

• noellabelle
    13 years ago

Hi,

I've been lurking for a couple months and am near the beginning of my modest kitchen renovation. I'm in the middle painting our cabinets right now. We're going to try most of our projects diy, less the countertops. And this site is seriously dangerous on my budget, as I never even considered a counter depth fridge and now it's a "must have"! LOL

I'm from Ohio, but for the last 6 years I've lived near New Haven, CT with my dh and 3 kids (6,4, & 2). We're in a condo, and we've looked on and off at larger places, but dh hasn't had much job security and we have decided that we really like the location where we are, and to have a home not much bigger in the same town would probably be double our costs now. We really love living in New England!

I stay at home, and my other addiction is knitting and wool yarn

• mari_joan
    13 years ago

Well, I read all the way thru the first thread and finally decided to log in. I'm 57 (OMG), married to one of the all time great DIYers. One 170 year old house (been here 28 years), 3 grown children, 2 grandkids and live, as DH likes to say, 5 miles from Plymouth Rock. In the last 5 years,we have expanded our kitchen into an unheated shed area doubling its size, rebuilt walls, added windows and doors, re-electrified and re-plumbed, hung cabinets and I am happy to say, we have a kitchen that is, if not finished, eminently usable.

Our favorite saying is "In an old house, nothing works but the owner" and taped unto the door into the kitchen is this gem - "Never discourage anyone... who continually makes progress, no matter how slow. Plato" Words to live by.

• bill_vincent
    13 years ago

Our favorite saying is "In an old house, nothing works but the owner"

Amen to that!! We got this 102 year old house 2 years ago, and with me working (or NOT working much the last year) construction, it's been tough to do everything we wanted to. When we first moved in, we got rid of all the original windows. That by itself was about all we could handle, especially being that our first winter in this house, oil was costing us about half again more than the mortgage, thanks to the high oil prices and no insulation! That's now been taken care of, as well as getting rid of all the knob and tube wiring, and changing over to a 200 amp panel. Now we get to start on the cosmetics!!

Lucky me.

:-)

• boxerpups
    13 years ago

Thanks for the topic, post and all the wonderful responses.

Who am I?

I am a loving wife, a mom, a sister, an aunt, a daughter,
    neice, cousin, a loyal best friend, a woman who looks at
    the glass half full, chocolate lover, gardener, kitchen
    decor fan, a lady who loves to laugh every day, happy,
    skier, runner, dancer, artist, cook, car-pool driver,
    book club memeber, almost alway upbeat, positive, Bostonian,
    friendly and a helper on gardenweb, some call me the Picture Princess.

Oh and I am owned by two beautiful German Boxers. ~boxerpups

• sochi
    13 years ago

boxerpups - as if I didn't already know this from your generosity to your GW friends , but you sound like the loveliest person ever and your dogs are just beautiful! What a glorious picture.

• danielle84
    13 years ago

Should I or shouldn't.
    I've been visiting this site for quite a while now and sometime giving my two cents (for what it's worth!!!)
    I'm glad to say that because of all of you, my kitchen is a dream come true. I have not manage to put pictures up yet (I'm computer retarded!!!!) but someday I'll sit down and do it so I can share. The decision we made because of all of your is surprising. We've changed our granite selection because of some comments made (thank you) we chose our silgranite sink because of comments, we painted our kitchen blue (thank you it's just beautiful) We dared to choose cream cabinetry and dark island (again thank you)
    Well needless to say, this web site was OUR INSPIRATION. THANK YOU TO ALL OF YOU
    I am a 52 guidance counsellor in a high school in the Ottawa region
    I have a lovely husband and three children (23,21 and 19)all living together. 6 cars in our driveway!! (I should stop serving cheese!!)
    We have a dog name Pablo
    We are proud grand parents of a beautiful healthy 19 months old grand son (also living with us :)
    If I'd be rich and famous, I would invite everyone of you to very big party so heres to all of you
    Cheers

• lisa_a
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Boxerpups, I'm going to make the same request to you that I made to arlosmom on the first thread: please email me through My Page link. I'm looking for photo ops in the Boston area (as well as DC, NYC and Philly), which isn't easy when I can't physically there. I'm hoping that, as a fellow gardener, you might be able to provide me with some leads. Thank you!!

Your dogs look like vessels of great wisdom in that photo. They are probably thinking about their next snack or walk but I could almost believe that they are thinking deeper thoughts than that. ;-)

• sdionnemoore
    13 years ago

I'm a soon-to-be 42 year old mother of one, wife for almost 22 years, and author of six books (3 cozy mystery, 3 historical romance). I've been working on my kitchen for over 2 years. Taking it slow, which is fine with me since I get the chance to really think (read: agonize) over every single decision. See my latest post for my most recent hair-puller.
    Our view:

I have the cutest little Malti-Poo who weighs about six pounds and has every single one of us wrapped around his little paw. He thinks he's a chick-magnet but is really a tick-magnet.

• onedog3cats
    13 years ago

What a fun thread! I love all of the pictures. Love the boxer and kitty pics!!

DH and I are 35 year old DINKs from St. Louis. We have been married for almost 12 years. We have a boston terrier and three cats (surprise!) I found this place several years ago and pop in from time to time.

Everyone on here is so helpful. I can't believe how much time some of you put in to helping others.

We are getting ready to do a mini remodel to our kitchen (new solid surface tops, wall ovens, cooktop, floor and lighting) so I have been OBSESSED with this forum. Reading, saving posts and emailing posts to DH.

Hopefully within the next 7-10 years we will do a complete renovation to our kitchen (knocking down walls, moving plumbing, changing everything!). Until then I'll be lurking around and getting ideas. Maybe by then I will change my mind on doing a complete renovation! This mini is stressfull enough!

• zeebee
    13 years ago

I'm a 40-something New Yorker, married, no kids, and have been on this forum since 2006 without actually, um, starting a kitchen renovation yet. I discovered GW while researching a kitchen reno for my old place, and stuck around when we moved to our 1890 rowhouse at the end of 2007. This past April we completed a nightmare 22-month renovation involving most of the rest of the house, excluding kitchen and one bath, and I'm hoping some of the hard lessons learned plus the advice of you wonderful people at this forum can get me through the kitchen reno with a minimum of aggravation.

Within the next three to four months I hope to be one of the posters submitting kitchen layouts for review and advice. Until then, I'll be here every day, reading and researching and weighing in when I can be of help, complimenting completed kitchens, and sympathizing when things get derailed.

• chrisa62401
    13 years ago

I've been lurking on here for over a year, I'm married (27 years) with 4 kids and have just started on a kitchen remodel. My wife is not much of a computer person, so I have been doing all the research. We just started demo 2 weeks ago. The kids are older now, so we are starting to do a lot of improvements to our home.

• na_praha
    13 years ago

Ok, I've been mostly lurking with the occasional show-offy post for YEARS here, so I guess I better introduce myself. I'm in my mid-30s, married, with one delicious little almost-one-year-old son and two pups, a rescued German Shorthaired Pointer who looks more noble than he is and a little spitz-spaniel mix who is much more noble than she looks (no frogs were harmed in the taking of that picture, I swear).

We recently relocated east after a too-short, wonderful stint in Portland OR, where we lived in and renovated a completely dilapidated 1915 bungalow, almost entirely by ourselves. Now we live in my childhood home, a well-loved 1925 rowhome. It needs new everything, but we're not sure how long we're here, so I just...lurk and look at kitchen and bath eye candy. I'm constantly amazed by the ingenuity of people on these boards and have learned more than I can say from all of you. When I'm looking after my little one or poring over the photos here, I make and sell dresses on Etsy.

Here is a link that might be useful: My Etsy shop

• boxerpups
    13 years ago

Hi Lisa-A,

So sorry I can't e-mail you. If you are looking for
    gardens to photograph here is a great list of phenominal
    places in NH, Maine and Ma.
    Hope this helps.
    ~boxerpups

Boston public gardens
    http://www.pps.org/great_public_spaces/one?public_place_id=10

Isabelle Stewart Gardner Museum
    http://www.gardnermuseum.org/
    MFA
    http://mfa.org/

Berkshires amazing garden called Naumkeag
    http://www.berkshireweb.com/trustees/naumkeag.html

Coastal Maine Botanical Gardens
    http://www.mainegardens.org/

Fuller Gardens
    http://www.fullergardens.org/FullerGardens/

Prescott Park and Strawberry Banke (Yes it is spelled with the E)
    http://www.strawberybanke.org/

http://www.cityofportsmouth.com/prescottpark/

The Fells
    http://www.thefells.org/

MY MOST favorite museum is called the Mount
    If you get a chance read the book called Age of Innocence
    by Edith Wharton or go out and borrow the movie with
    Michele Pfieffer. A lovely movie but the mansion and home
    are even more lovely in person.
    http://www.edithwharton.org/

Gosh I need to go pick up a cheerleader from her
    practice. Must go now.
    ~boxerpups

• gsciencechick
    13 years ago

I am a mid-40's college professor in the Carolinas who has to start teaching for the fall semester next week, so, unforunately, less time to post here and do work on our home. I'm the "more handy" one.

Married 4 years to a wonderful guy who was worth the wait. No kids. We have a 1960's single level 1200 sq. ft. ranch that DH bought right when he first met me. We've done a lot of upgrades and have no plans to move. We both like retro-inspired decor, and our favorite kitchen item is our Beach Blue Big Chill fridge.

Recently cut my hair short again:

We lost the Maine Coon cat earlier this year. Have two kitties right now.

• clergychick
    13 years ago

Last night I read through all the first thread and all of this thread and WOW, what an impressive group!

I am "clergychick" (obviously), better known as Amy. I am an ordained Presbyterian minister, working half-time in educational and pastoral care ministry. My DH (46) and I (47) have been married 22 years this month, have one DD who started her junior year of high school today, and two dogs (one french bulldog -- Hugo, better known here as "towel dog"-- and one pound puppy, Lacey, (now 5) who we think is part pit bull, part chicken -- she's scared of plastic bags and once let the neighbor's cat chase her out of her own yard). DH is an attorney, which is how we can afford to remodel anything. His hobby is acoustic guitar building. I like literature, sewing, art, eating (more, I confess, than cooking), baking, tv and movies, singing in the church choir, humor that doesn't demean anyone, and being around smart, creative people from whom I can learn things, which must be part of the reason I like to hang out here on the kitchen forum though my kitchen was finished in June.

I live in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia (hey, Mountaineergirl, you're not alone!) where I was born. But I've lived in central Kentucky, on Boston's north shore, in Los Angeles (san pedro), and inside the DC beltway in College Park, Maryland. I am SO happy to be back in WV, and don't plan on moving ever again!

I sewed my way through seminary for a little family business that makes vestments, even worked on something for the Pope! I taught English 101 at UMaryland (so yes, I am tempted to correct your grammar; sorry, old habit) and I've worked in various roles in various churches. But you probably will recognize me from being on "Scrabble with Chuck Woolery" in 1989(one episode -- I choked in the final round)!

No, I think I will be remembered here for writing the Requiem for the Towel Pig -- I confess I was heavily under the influence of having sung Mozart's Requiem (in latin) just before I learned of the original towel pig's demise.

I am available for weddings and funerals (human or pet)! ;^) (A catholic friend of my husband's always calls me "Father Amy" -- thus the caption on the pic!)

and here's the chicken-dog:

and the towel dog without his towel:

• lisa_a
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for that list, I'll keep it handy for when I finally get to visit that side of the country. This time, though, I'm looking for gardens in "hell strips," that bit of land between sidewalk and street. I've found a few leads but for all my calls and emails, it's a pretty slim haul so far. Off to make more calls. Oh, if only there was a travel budget for this project. That would make life so much easier.

And now back to our regularly scheduled program. ;-) Nice to meet more of you GWers.

• fun2cook
    13 years ago

I'm also a longtime "lurker". I have been on appliance forum a lot, but now have moved over to this forum. I'm married to a wonderful man, we have 3 kids, 3 dogs and 3 cats. I also have 2 horses kept elsewhere. We live in SoCal. We have been undergoing a major remodel, tearing out walls and ceilings, creating an open floor plan. My so called kitchen designer, turned out just to be a salesman, so I've become my own designer. So much to learn. Love GW!

• sjmitch
    13 years ago

Hi there, I'm a year and half lurker and joined earlier this year. My DH and I remodeled our first floor (kitchen and great room) last year and what an inspiration this forum is. We live in the burbs of Toronto Canada, are in our mid 50's, love 2 ski, camp(trailer), curl, bicycle, and do 1/2 marathons etc. No children, but have 2 four legged kids.

• oldhouse1
    13 years ago

Alot of lurkers here, myself included. I am so impressed with the knowledge and wit that you GWers possess that I haven't gotten the nerve to add my two sense. I live in the greater Toronto area and am pleased to hear of more fellow Canadians on the site. I am a wife and mother of two, 18 and 20 and live in an 1840 Canadiana home. We are building an addition that will house our kitchen,laundry room, and bathroom along with a carriage style garage with great room above. We are doing all the work ourselves so have had to learn patience as I usually want things done yesterday. I have been so inspired by the wealth of information I have found here and frankly have become somewhat addicted. We too are installing a customized unfitted Ikea kitchen and was so thrilled to see Brickmanhouses' finished kitchen in an old house. Am not sure I will ever be able to post my kitchen. How can you compete with perfection. Thank you all for the hours of informative entertainment.

• sandlll
    13 years ago

This is a great thread. Thanks for all the info everyone shares here. GW makes renovating a lot easier... I am a 37 yo mom of two girls who are 6 and 7. We love our neighborhood which is made up of smaller village colonials so we decided to add on and make this our "forever" home. We added a bedroom, bathroom, made an open floor plan and hope it is done in the next month!

• caffeinequeen
    13 years ago

I just discovered this forum about a month ago. We're about to start on an under-$20k remodel of our 1975 kitchen, after 5 years of planning/researching/discussing/waffling. I'm almost 50 (next BD!), married for 26 years, son just starting college, grown daughter, 2 cats. I'm a high school chemistry teacher and school is about to start so I'll have very little time for any more lurking. Fortunately all of our kitchen decisions have been made, it's just a matter of final scheduling and starting on the demo, which we're doing ourselves. Hope to have it done in under 4 weeks. I really appreciate all of the advice I've received so far, and I hope I don't regret my decision to go with laminate countertops in Wilsonart Green Soapstone (DH is trying to talk me into Corian.)

• greenhousems
    13 years ago

Born in England, Irish Parents, lived in the USA since 1980, first in Queens then NJ. I work, mostly from home in Technolgy sales, which is incredibly fast paced but a lot of fun too. I have 2 kids 22 and 18 a calico cat called snickers. and a rabbit who lives under the green bean patch but does not seem to eat any of the vegetables. I have a large family in England and Ireland. We spend a lot of time planning visits accross the Atlantic and all of my family are do it yourselfers and gardeners, even my kids get involved... I trained in Culinary, am a big gardener, baker, knitter and love to cook almost anything. My glass is def always half full. My fav movie is Beatrix Potter..and I love anything Jane Austen. I continue to cook even though my kitchen has been torn apart since October 2009, using a 2 ring burner set up on my dining room table and the barbecue. Dishes etc (dont ask about that) I keep getting new inspirations for my kitchen from this amazing site and the very gracious people who share their ideas, kitchens and works in progress. This site has given me a ton of confidence to plan the kitchen that I want and to take risks to go outside of the box. I dont have a KD but I have a bunch of great neighbors and handymen who I have used over the years who are very curious about my shell of a kitchen and are all eager to help me get the project started, so I should be able to get this done on a shoestring right? Thanks to all of you the familiar and the new for sharing your hearts and kitchen projects.

• Linda Gomez
    13 years ago

Sorry I'm chiming in so late. My dad passed away 3 weeks ago just after finding out that his prostate cancer had just moved into his liver. He'd been in the hospital getting ready to start chemo, was getting better, sent home and he died the next evening with most of his family in his home. Bittersweet. I'm executrix & am very overwhelmed with all the stuff I need to do altho not very complicated.

I am 58 yo and keep trying to figure out was 60 looks like. I've seen some "older looking" 60 somethings & some that look like I feel. (None of you GW'ers fit that older look!)

I was born & raised in W. Michigan; then lived in and taught in Costa Rica where I met my dh. We moved to NC 29 years ago with a 1 year old son. My dh is Materials Mgr in a chemical co. My oldest is now 30 and a research chemist; 27yo dd is a bench chemist; youngest is a business major with a minor in...chemistry.

I was a pioneer in homeschooling & hs'ed my own from K-12th grade. I was a hs curriculum rep for NC/SC & worked the bookfairs. (NC's is one of the top 5 in the country) I got involved in hs co-ops where I taught high school/middle school Spanish. I just "knew" it was time to quit at the end of last semester.

Dh & I buy run-down houses, fix them up and rent them out. We weren't sure Social Security would be around by the time we retire--and our 401K has been having its ups & downs. Our real estate venture has done well; we were 2 blocks from a local university & rented to students until the U decided to make a 1-mile rule that students had to live farther than 1 mile off campus. Last fall we sold 2 to the U & made a handy profit.

In this venture, I've redone 2 gut job kitchens, done some simple remodeling with painting & new counters & selvaging cabinets we found in the basement. All get dishwashers--it's the first thing the women(and students) notice. There is another one that we have done a partial remodel on--the base cabinets. Between the next renters we'll go to Part B, taking out a huge unused chimney that's on a non-supporting wall & redoing the uppers for this house from the 1920's with a chopped up-floor plan.

Actually, I thought we would be building our retirement house right now. In 96 we bought a lot in the NC mountains; it's a 1/2 acre lot that overlooks a small lake in an older gated community. It's my "Still Waters", where I go to restore my soul. We were close to having the plan done & working on the kitchen plan when I discovered GW--the plan I originally wanted wouldn't work when we actually put it on paper & looked at it 3D--not enough upper cabs. I was about ready to post it for comments, but alas, with my dad's hospitalizations, I've not had the time. We're close to blueprints & I'm tweaking the rest of the design with an interior decorator friend. Worth the $$$.

At my own home, a 70's ranch, we'll update the kitchen that we remodeled in 92 from a country look w/honey oak cabinets with granite & a new backsplash. We put in wood floors 4 years ago.

So I don't know what project comes first. We've just completed our biggest fixer ever and the renter comes in next weekend. What will we ever do with all that spare time? We have a severely leaky shower in the master bath--we think we'll need to gut it to fix it. I think it will be sooner rather than later.

I like camping, Bible study, travel, photography & scrapbooking. I enjoy going to crops & doing my scrapbooks with other women--it's creative, and for the most part I get to relive all those wonderful experiences I have captured on camera.

I've read everyone's storied and have found it enjoyable. This board relaxes me in the evenings. Thanks all.

• jakabedy
    13 years ago

I'm 45, married for 7 years to my sweetie, who is 58 and was very much worth the wait. He has three kids and there are two grandkids and one pending (very exciting!). I was a bungalow gal for a long time but became an MCM maven in 2007 when we bought our post-and-beam, Better Homes & Gardens home, complete with giant leaking skylights, wet bar and interior garden.

It took us 5 months to DIY our kitchen and we finished in April, but I love the folks on this board so much that I continue to check in. And to chime in on IKEA questions. And to wave the MCM banner.

When not tearing the house apart I am an attorney and DH is an IT guy. We play in a Big Band (swing band) together and a couple community bands, and I play in a brass quintet. I also have an MCM blog for my area. We have three dependent creatures in the house. The two shown below are Kato, the fierce-when-necessary Akita mix and Count Basie, the leader of our band of merry animals.