Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mizlizzie_gw

Double hinge your sink base doors?

MizLizzie
9 years ago

Would it be possible to hinge your sink base doors like those on a super-susan corner base? So that they accordion fold against one another, to the right in my case? And would the size of the sink base matter? I am hoping to go with a 33" but I may have to go up to a 36".

The Houzz link below shows what I'm trying to accomplish in my hateful, tiny laundry room. But my trash pullout and dirty litter receptacle will be on the left of the sink base. I don't want a door in the way of my reaching over, if that makes sense? (Hey, they don't call me the crazy cat lady for nothing!) Thanks for any insight.

Here is a link that might be useful: Houzz - under sink base

Comments (5)

• ajc71
    9 years ago

Those would be big doors to try and hinge like that, I would be worried about sagging over time...

Inexpensive alternative would be a bifolding door, that way the doors are supported at all times within the tracks...there are much nicer ones then the one I have linked from companies like sugatsune

Here is a link that might be useful: Bi fold

• Swentastic Swenson
    9 years ago

What if you made your sink base 36", doors 4 panels, each 9" wide (probably 8+ to account for the hardware etc) and hinged in two places or using a piano hinge?

I'm imagining our bedroom closet bifolds (bc of what ajc71 mentioned) which have very little profile when open.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• brightm
    9 years ago

Note: I have frameless doors and only seriously shopped for them, so my cabinet knowledge may not be as good as I think it is. Also, I'm not entirely sure what you're trying to accomplish.

If you're getting framed cabinets, could you get a 36" cabinet without butt doors and have the left door swing the opposite way that you'd expect? Meaning both doors on the cabinet hinged to the right. I'm not sure if you wanted totally open access or if maybe the sink is near a corner/wall and you just wanted better access from the left of the left side of under the sink.

• MizLizzie
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Great ideas. Love that appliance garage, btw. I do need the entire space open in order to get that ginormous pull-out to, well, slide out. I think the bifolds might do it, though they will cost me a tad over an inch of width on the left. My first option was to have no doors, and install a curtain. The sink will likely be the Kohler Whitehaven apron-front, so in a farmhouse base, curtains would not be a bad choice, design wise. But with the cats running back and forth through them, I will have to take them down and wash them pretty frequently to get the cat hair off. On the other hand, half my laundry is already cat-related . . . ;-) Thanks for the ideas.

No that I think on it, I wonder how their cat gets under the sink in that Houzz picture? Does he scoot under the doors? I would have a cat door cut into one panel. Or with bifolds, I would perhaps have the doors cut for glass or cane panels, and just remove one panel.

• jmk41653
    8 years ago

Looking for the cabinet hardware in the above picture. Any ideas?