Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
acdesignsky

Could these entry doors work? Pics

acdesignsky
16 years ago

We have to replace our front door. Unfortunately, that means new sidelights as well. I am thinking I'd like a change from the 6 panel Colonial door we have now. I don't much care for sidelights and all the glass doors I saw were too fancy. I'm trying to stay true to the Georgian Colonial style.

I saw a door like this and love it. The problem is, the opening will only allow for 2-32" wide doors. Is that wide enough? Would the style work? If we do use them, we'll have them stained a med dark oak to match the trim and flooring throughout the house and use a seeded glass. We have a transom already in place that's more narrow than the one in the pic.

TIA

Comments (10)

• lyfia
    16 years ago

Being that there are two doors I think the 32" would be fine. If you need wider for furniture to go in/out you just open the other and have an even wider opening.

Average interior door size is 30" so if your family goes through those without problem on a regular basis then 32" for everyday use should be fine too.

BTW I love those doors and think they would go great with your house.

• les917
    16 years ago

Our side entry door is 32", which is a standard door size, so I wouldn't be concerned.

Honestly, tho I love the doors you have shown, I don't see them on a Georgian style home.

• meg711
    16 years ago

As for the width, we have a double front door, and each door is 36" wide. I think 32" would be fine. As for the style, I know nothing about that.

• nhb22
    16 years ago

Our double doors are 36", but I think 32 will be fine. We have friends that have a Georgian house with the double doors (shown in your photo). They were originally stained and then the homeowners painted them black - which I think was a mistake.

• threedgrad
    16 years ago

I agree with les, although the doors you have shown are nice although I think the style is too contemporary for your house. Measure the space for your doors.

• rucnmom
    16 years ago

The door you are considering is very nice. I don't think it is in major conflict with Georgian style; I just don't see it as a front door. I think it would make an excellent choice leading to a patio. As an entry, it reads to me more institutional than residential - reminds me of college. But, if you are trying to get more natural light in the foyer, then maybe this is the route.

If go with these doors, are you planning to make changes to your trim and pediment? I think you could go "beefier" and if you plan to stain the door, you might consider a pediment that is not broken so there is more contrast between the masonry and the trim. I think your home could carry more substantial lighting fixtures.

• PRO
    acdesignsky
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the replies everyone. Sorry so late responding.
    So it's about 50/50 as to whether the doors will work. Newhomebuilder's doors are almost exactly what I envisioned. Are those too contemporary or (ouch) institutional?
    I don't think we're going to change the trim and pediment but I hadn't given much thought to it, though. This summer the front yard gets landscaped and we're expanding the walkway. We're also planning on doing something to the dormers. We've replaced the light fixtures already. Those tiny brass lamps are history.

• rucnmom
    16 years ago

Sorry if the word "institutional" offended - the college is an Ivy if that makes you feel better!

• nhb22
    16 years ago

Yes, ouch... and right after I posted my doors. LOL

• brutuses
    16 years ago

check out e-doors.com They have a great selection.