Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
booboo60

Lighting ? open floor plan...

booboo60
15 years ago

You all are so 'with it' and I am so not :) Please help me figure out what I will need for light fixtures in my open living area. The house dh and I are building is a small (1648sq.ft.) sort of farmhouse type home. It is one story but has 2 dormers that are like sky lights. Anyway, when you walk in the front door you will be standing in the living room with the kitchen and dining area off to the left. I have purchased a black iron candlestick chandelier for above the dining room table. There will be 2 pendants above the peninsula in the kitchen that are black rods with white bell shaped, alabaster, globes. Here is my dilemma; for the overhead fixture in the living room (center of room) do I put up a ceiling fan w/light? a semi-flush fixture? a 'matchy-matchy' fixture to go with the dining room or kitchen pendant? Then how about the area when we first enter through the front door? Do we need an overhead light there also? Whew! I wish I could show pics but we aren't even to the drywall stage yet!!

TIA

Comments (6)

• sue36
    15 years ago

Can you post a floorplan?

• Oakley
    15 years ago

We're a week away from the drywall stage!

We're putting canned lights in the entry way, canned lights over the fireplace, canned lights on the opposite wall where we'll have a book nook, and in the back of the room for mood lighting (meaning when we turn all lamps off) we'll have canned lights.

I'm definitely getting a light fixture under the ceiling fan, even if I don't use the light.

Everything else will be lamps, which is what we'll use the most.

• booboo60
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I will try to post the floor plan :)

http://www.globalhouseplans.com/plan_details.asp?id=370

• arizonarose
    15 years ago

Our layout sound almost like yours except the dining area is in the front of the house ( back of the kitchen) We put a ceiling fan with light in the living room, but never use the light. We use table lamps and have one halogen pole type lamp for reading.

We got a fan with a light because it came on the fan we wanted even tho we never use the light. At night while watching TV we usually just leave a light on over the peninsula as it lights the kitchen and the living room well enough.

There is an overhead light when you enter the front door also. It sounds like a lot of lights...it is, but the only one we never use is the one on the celing fan in the LR.

• brutuses
    15 years ago

Your floor plan is almost identical to mine excecept my dining area is on the right and my FP is on the back wall. We put can lights around the perimeter of the room to have for ambient lighting, but will be using lamps for our everyday lighting, as we do now. We have 2 ceiling fans in our great room without light fixtures. I find fan light fixtures ineffective and don't give off pretty light. I like lots of lamps, table and floor. Don't forget about sconces somewhere in the room if you have the right place for them.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    15 years ago

I personally would not go with a fan light. I think they've passed their heyday unless your climate really calls for one. I've found that for the living area table or floor lamps are really best for reading and overhead lighting always seems rather harsh. If you feel you need one for the front entry I'd choose one that is harmonious with the style of the dining room and kitchen if you can see those areas, but probably mounted to the ceiling. In our living room we have two lights near the fireplace which are mounted in the ceiling in addition to the table lamps and that's worked out well since they're unobtrusive and fit any decor. Hope this helps.

Ingrid