Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dgmarie

carpet tiles?

dgmarie
14 years ago

I have a long hallway off the garage that intersects with the service door through the laundry room where the coat closet is located. This is a high traffic area with everyone getting coats and snow boots etc. In the winter I end up putting down a large utility rug from the garage, another smaller rug under the service door, and a long runner from Home Depot between the two. The whole thing is rug central and I hate it.

I was just looking at carpet tiles. They are cheap and easy to install and don't permanently stick to the tile floor underneath. Does anyone have any experience with them? I do not want to leave them there year round but can't think of another application that will handle snowy and wet traffic over WHITE tile floors that will be attractive and uniform and easy to clean.

I've posted some photos below of the debacle which is out dual entry ways. I didn't tidy up anything. This is the real world here at our house.

From the garage into the kitchen:

{{!gwi}}

From the service door into the laundry room and intersecting the hallway from the garage door.:

The laundry room which contains the service door and the large coat closet.

All this white tile is impossible to keep clean in the winter.

Comments (11)

• western_pa_luann
    14 years ago

"All this white tile is impossible to keep clean in the winter."

Carpet tiles will be just as difficult to keep clean, if not more so.

How about rag rugs that can be thrown in the washer & dryer?

• deltabreeze
    14 years ago

I have FLOR floor tiles and like them. Given your description, though, it sounds like a waterhog or polypro runner would work better. You need something absorbant.

• lazy_gardens
    14 years ago

How about those interlocking floor mats?

http://www.interlockingfloormat.com/

• dilly_dally
    14 years ago

Carpet tiles would have to be cut to fit and you would have to number them so you can put them down in order next season.

I would just get a pan for the boots to catch melting snow and run a rug down the hall.

• graywings123
    14 years ago

You might hate the runners less if they all matched and if you liked - or at least didn't hate - the color and pattern.

Take a look at what Home Depot and Lowes sell for runners sold by the linear foot. Not so bad - I've had it in my house.

The FLOR carpet squares designed for heavy traffic would work, but they are pricey.

• dgmarie
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Graywings: the runner I have is from Home Depot. That is as wide as they sell it by the foot. It was also not cheap. It cost $22 for less than 10 feet of pretty cheap runner.

I have boot trays but the entire entry way feels overwhelmed with rugs running this way and that.

• Shades_of_idaho
    14 years ago

We ran into that in our master bathroom since we have a door to outside in it and that is the entry to the dogs yard. Mud Central. DH bought a run that will fit the largest space at a very discount store and we figure to toss it when mud season is over if I can not clean it up. The thing that helped is that carpet it very close to the color of the floor so it blends in nicely. so far the mud spots have vacuumed up nicely after they dry.

Then again it is winter and in snow country there are just those kind of things we all have to deal with.

May I please ask about the blind on your long glass door? Is it attached at the bottom and where did you get it? I need something like this in the worst way!!! Thank you

Chris

• Shades_of_idaho
    14 years ago

RUN = rug sorry

• dgmarie
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Chris: it's a set of wooden shutters and is attached top and bottom. I didn't buy it (it came with the house) but am pretty sure it is from home depot. You cannot lift the blinds without detaching them from the bottom. I just leave the louvers open all the time. There is a wooden cornice box at the top.

• dgmarie
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Holy cow. $173 for a Waterhog 3' x 12' rug? Are they nuts?

• Shades_of_idaho
    14 years ago

Thank You dgmarie. I will look for them. I really need one for our front door.

Chris