Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
plant_333_noob

What should I pair with these curtains for privacy? (pics!)

plant_333_noob
12 years ago

So I'm working on a fun, modern-ish home office and have 2 questions:

1) I've got the curtains picked out, but they are too sheer for my liking. What should I pair them with for privacy? (Horizontal mini or thick blinds? A liner? Roman shades? Other?)

2) Where should I mount the curtains? I was considering going from the right side of the woodwork all the way to the wall corner, but am not sure if that would look odd. I'm also thinking about pushing the curtains to the left to open instead of opening in both directions - is that weird?

In case you're wondering what's up with the desks, I'm going to make them into a single piece "U" shaped built-in desk without legs (wall-mounted). But I'm waiting until the curtains are up because it will be easier to install the hardware while the desks are still movable.

Pic with the curtains (I have 2 panels, but just one is shown here):

Pic without the curtains (& with a temporary black paper shade):

The room is roughly based on this design:

Comments (15)

• futuremrsr
    12 years ago

Not really sure but wanted to tell you that I love this room. The green accent wall is just awesome. Love the art on the wall!

• futuremrsr
    12 years ago

Not really sure but wanted to tell you that I love this room. The green accent wall is just awesome. Love the art on the wall!

• plant_333_noob
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks but the bottom photo isn't mine (I wish!). It's my inspiration. I'd love my office to look something like it when I'm done!

If you click on the bottom photo, it will take you to the designer's page where he has some other gorgeous designs. =)

• futuremrsr
    12 years ago

Well you are off to a good start. I sure think you can pull this off. Going to check out the other designs. Thanks for sharing.

• neetsiepie
    12 years ago

Are you going for a look of a wider window so you can center the desk on the 'window'? I'm just not visualizing the way you're considering the rod...going to the right corner or the left corner?

Why would the curtains not open at the center? I can't imagine them opening to the left. Also, what is the view out the window? Is it out to the street or facing someone elses window? If you're going to open the drapes, I'd put some blinds behind it, then leave the curtains open, not push to the side. If it's just for looks, and you need to occasionally block more light, then line the drapes.

Love the color scheme. DD had her DH's office done in apple green, white & black, it was so wonderful.

• graywings123
    12 years ago

How do you plan to mount the drapes? Are they pole top drapes? Or is there a hidden tab panel on the back? Some drapes are not meant to be opened and closed on a daily basis. Is your plan to keep them open or closed all the time?

I don't think I would like a one-way draw on this wall. If you do that, you will be emphasizing the fact that the window is off-center.

If it were my room, I would mount them as stationary panels centered on the window and ending at the bottom of the window apron. You could add an inside mount cellular shade for privacy. I like horizontal metal mini blinds for their function, but they are not popular here.

• plant_333_noob
    Original Author
    12 years ago

@futuremrsr:
    I especially love the dramatic ceiling in his living room!

@pesky1:
    I wasn't trying to center the desk under the window because the desk will be one solid piece across the whole back wall. (I have another piece that will join the corner desks in the middle.)

I was considering the rod extending past the window to the left corner and opening in that direction, mainly because I thought it might look bigger and save wall real estate to the right of the window. Sounds like it would just look weird. :)

The view out the window is to the street, and beyond that our neighbor's house. I do plan on opening the drapes daily. Sun glare is an issue, especially when there's snow on the ground, so blinds may be a good option so I can tailor how much light comes through.

Thick/thin or wood/metal/plastic? I'll admit I've never seen blinds in person that weren't cheap looking to me, so I'm not sure which would look nicest.

Do you have pics of your DD's DH's office? It sounds nice!

@graywings:
    I haven't picked out drape hardware yet, but they are what I think you're refering to as "pole top." (Sorry, I don't know the technical term!) There's a hole in the fabric across the top where the hardware can be inserted. I plan on opening and closing them daily.

Great point about a one-way draw emphasizing the off-center window. You and pesky1 have me convinced to go with the normal two-way opening!

I don't think this window will accept an inside mount. There's just no room for the shade/blinds to go.

Would you mount the curtains halfway between the ceiling and top window woodwork? Would an outside-mount blind start at the same place? I'm concerned you'll see weird green lines behind the blinds when both blinds and curtains are open. (Sorry these are basic questions...it's my first house and I'm new at this!)

• birdgardner
    12 years ago

I could see the curtains drawing to the right, the pole continuing a foot or so to the right, which would provide an illusion that the window is more towards the center, and it would allow full light to come in the window. But drawing to the left will really emphasize the asymmetry. Unless you balance with something to the right - I'm thinking dimensional, sculptural art, or a big plant rather than a mirror or big flat picture.

Privacy: the louvered blinds look good in your inspiration picture and allow for good light control.

Where are you putting the desk?

• annzgw
    12 years ago

If you want the look of the inspiration room, then you should go with 1" or 1 3/8" metal blinds.

It sounds as though you have rod pocket panels and if that's the case, it's not a design that is going to be easy to open daily. You'll need to hang your drapes with rings or use a traverse rod. Here is a decorative traverse rod. To open and close it you pull a cord located on either side. If you want to get fancy, you can even buy a traverse rod that opens by remote.

Check out the site below for visuals of window treatments with blinds on the window and the drapes mounted higher than the blinds.
    Personally, I would mount the rod at the height of the door opening (seen on the left), but it appears the height is going to be determined by the length of the curtain and your desk top.

I have a question re: the desk. How are you going to support the front edge of the desk?

Here is a link that might be useful: Photo gallery

• pps7
    12 years ago

I would doa bambo shade and hang the curtains centered on the window.

Love the green. My laundry room is green, black and white and I love it!

• plant_333_noob
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you for all of your advice!

@birdgardener:
    I think I will probably center the curtains rather than extend them to the right because I'd like to preserve some wall space for some sort of art (TBD).

The desk will take up the whole back wall (the same one the window's on). It will be all one piece mounted on the wall.

@annz:
    I'm not in love with the blinds in the inspiration photo, but they are functional and not really the focal point of the room, so I may just go with them.

I'm confused about how the traverse rod would work with the rod pocket curtains. The link you posted shows pleated curtains. My curtains don't have pleats, it's a smooth finish across the top. Would I somehow need to pleat them before using the traverse rod?

Regarding mounting height, the door height is the same as the top of the window frame - that's where you'd mount the curtains? They are long enough to be mounted at any height - they'll need to be hemmed either way.

I plan on supporting the desk with "L" brackets attached to studs in the wall. Haven't picked out the exact hardware yet, but need to soon.

@pps7:
    I love the idea of a bamboo shade/curtain combo. I'm actually considering doing that for my bedroom. But I was concerned the bamboo wouldn't work with a modern-ish room. Which color shade do you think would work?

• lala girl
    12 years ago

I have used wide wood white blinds behind sheerish panels because you can angle them for privacy but still let light in.

your room is looking great!

• busybee3
    12 years ago

if you don't need complete privacy, i also think i would go with a bamboo/woven wood/grass shade... probably an ebony shade or something very, very light/whiteish.

i also think a roman shade made out of that fabric (and black banding!?)would look really, really nice!! that would take care of privacy issues and the off centered window.

• graywings123
    12 years ago

I'm confused about how the traverse rod would work with the rod pocket curtains. The link you posted shows pleated curtains. My curtains don't have pleats, it's a smooth finish across the top. Would I somehow need to pleat them before using the traverse rod?

Pole top drapes are not designed to be opened and closed daily. Converting them into pinch pleated drapes and buying a traverse rod is going to cost you a bit. You would be better off using them as stationary - essentially decorative - panels, and getting your light and privacy via a blind placed underneath. Yes, I know it makes no sense, but that's kind of how it works.

• annzgw
    12 years ago

All you would need for the top of the panels are some clip-on rings. If you plan on leaving the curtains in the open position most of the time, then it's probably not worth spending the money on the traverse rod.
    Woven woods should work well in the room but be aware that you won't have light control.........they'll either be up or down.
    I would hang the rod between the top of the window and the ceiling...maybe even a little higher.

If you decide to go with the blinds, I suggest you go into one of the big box stores and look at their samples. That will help you decide if you want to go with a faux wood or metal slat. It'll also let you see how slat size affects your view and how a smaller slat will have a thicker stack when they're in the drawn-up position.

I assume you realize the size L-bracket you're going to need may have to be custom made in order to support that desk top, especially if there will be any kind of weight on it.

Here is a link that might be useful: clip on rings

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH