Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
emilysmarathonmom_gw

ab antiqued or cambrian satin--help please

emilysmarathonmom
15 years ago

Does anyone know the difference between an Antiqued and a Satin finish on granite???

I had a very plain black quartzite picked out that we were doing on the leather side. There was a white line through every slab that the fabricator thought he could fabricate around if we bought enough material. Bottom line we can't and now need to find something new pronto.

I have white inset cabinets and honed and tumbled marble subway tiles for the backsplash.

Can anyone HELP???

The two I have come up with are AB Antiqued and Cambrian Satin. I am afraid of AB Honed due to the oil situation.

I also have an island that has an Iroko wood top.

ANY help would be most appreciated. And if I can figure out how to add pictures I will.

Thanks...

Comments (8)

• emilysmarathonmom
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I hope this link works to see my kitchen.

Here is a link that might be useful: white and red kitchen

• jb1176
    15 years ago

Another possibility might be Virginia Mist Honed. Somewhere I saw a kitchen done with this stone with white cabinets and red walls and it was stunning.

• jb1176
    15 years ago

Do a "search" function below for either Virginia Mist or dee and you will come across dee's kitchen.

• auchmedden
    15 years ago

I believe that antiqued has a slight texture to it. I tried out a sample and found that it would be hard to write on because it is not completely smooth. It feels great to touch though. I have not come across a satin finish.

There are many black granites that work in the honed finish that don't have the fingerprint issues that AB has. Hopefully someone with one will chime in. Jet Mist or Virginia Mist (same granite, different names) is beautiful honed, but tends toward charcoal/grey and can have some movement.

• positano
    15 years ago

Right now I'm trying to decide between AB leather and Cambrian black antique. I love the AB leather, seems much better than honed for fingerprints. But I feel like I still have to fuss with it a little to get it to look good. The Cambrian seems like it will be bulletproof and not show prints. It does have a slight texture in it, I tried writing on it and its fine. The bumps don't show thru the paper.
    If you do a search for cambrian or honed a lot comes up. I have not found anyone with AB leather or satin though.

Here are a few pics from my files. All people here on GW. The first three photos are Cambrian Black ant. The last one is Nordic Black Antiqued from Jen 4269(traditional cream and black kitchen)which I love!

It is such a hard decision. Everyone seems to love the Cambrian, so that's what I'm leaning to now.

• emilysmarathonmom
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you all very much. I ended up going with the Cambrian Black Satin. When I went to the granite yard this morning there was VERY little difference between AB Antiqued/brushed and Cambrian Satin. The AB was a tiny, tiny bit grayer. I did try writing on the surface of the satin finish and although it feel rough it did not alter the writing at all. This was a big concern as it will be a main homework spot. I especially like the pictures. I think the flatness of the satin finish will go well with my honed/tumbled marble backsplash. I guess we will see next week!
    Thanks again.

• positano
    15 years ago

If you have samples, try playing around with a color enhansing sealer. It makes it dark so you don't see the fingerprints as much. Sounds like you made a great choice, doesn't it feel good to cross it off your list.

• huligar
    15 years ago

Antiqued has a texture, and a Satin finish has a slight reflection but know shine.

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH