Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
janicemary_gw

Choosing a kitchen designer

janicemary
15 years ago

I need help with choosing a kitchen designer. I've visited several and like a few different cabinet manufacturers. How have you all decided which designer to use assuming the cabinets are equal in quality and features? Do different design firms that offer the same brand of cabinets have the same pricing? Is it safe to assume that a firm that does big, glossy advertising in magazines will be more expensive than a smaller, local one? I'm confused and need to choose someone asap!

Comments (9)

• lovemcm
    15 years ago

I would identify where you are geographically on this forum and ask people here who they've used/are using and like (or dislike, which might be more important!). You might also ask around where you live and work.

For me, I went to several designers and got an initial sketch (no charge) and settled with the one whose initial drawing was responsive to what I said I wanted and made sense from a functional point of view. I had seen some really stupid sketches by that point. One of her cabinet lines was also a draw (we wanted something ultra modern), although we ended up not going with that line.

If they don't respond to this thread, perhaps address a new question directly to "paulines" and/or "kompey", two of the KDs who participate here. They would know best about pricing of the same brand across design firms, etc.

Unless you want something unusual, I would think that most cabinet lines could accommodate your vision, so it's really then a matter of quality and price.

• janicemary
    Original Author
    15 years ago

petlady1 - Thanks for your advice. I live in the Lakes Region of NH. I've visited Varney Kitchens in Wolfeboro, Pinnacle Kitchens in New Hampton, Lifestyle Kitchens in Greenland, and Dovetailed Kitchens in Portsmouth. They all have really nice products and I've read the thread that rates the different cabinets. Any experience with these designers would be appreciated.

• erikanh
    15 years ago

Hi janicemary!

I'm in NH too, but on the Mass. border, so the KDs with which I'm familiar would be too far from you. I just wanted to wave hello to a fellow Granite Stater. =)

Good luck with your search,

Erika

• caryscott
    15 years ago

It is hard to know what kind of kitchen you are doing but I would have any potential KD's come out and measure, go over with you what you want(try to keep the parameters similar so you get an apple to apple quote) and show you a design and what the product (or products) they represent can do. This will let you get feel for them and whether they listen and can adapt to your sensibility. This will also give you a sense of price point. Tell them that's how you are going to make your decision and if they don't like it they can opt out. Be fair and respectful but they want your money so they should earn your confidence. Don't rush your process and end up with someone who you can't work with or a product that is more or less than you need to get the results you want.

• paulines
    15 years ago

Welcome to kitchen mayhem!

In addition to showroom KDs, there are also ones (like myself) who do freelance design work and assist in material selection and are not affiliated with any particular brand or product.

If you do decide to utilize the services of a showroom designer, find one who is willing to come to your home at the start of the project (before pencil is put to paper). They should do measurements and take notes as to any potential installation issues and observe the flow of your home, site lines and natural light patterns.

If you love to cook and entertain, find a KD who is accomplished in cooking and entertaining...really. There are many nuances or details in design that may be overlooked or minimized by someone unfamilar with the practical side of a kitchen.

On the same note, find someone that appears organized, 'on the ball' and excited about your project.

Find someone who listens to you. A good KD will ask you TONS of questions and will note the answers. If the only question asked of you is of your budget, walk away.

Which lines have interested you thus far?

• Jean Farrell
    15 years ago

I would also suggest that you go to see in person some kitchens that the potential KD has designed, so you can see smaller details. Will your KD basically just do the layout and order cabinets, or will the KD help with everything -- cabinets, countertops, sinks, faucets, appliances, etc.? If the KD will be involved soup to nuts, look at other kitchens to see if you think your tastes are similar (recognizing of course that the other homeowners tastes play a part in the other kitchens too).

If your KD will be heavily involved, and you have different tastes, it can be annoying to have to fight over every decision.

Also, you may end up spending a lot of time with your KD, so go with someone you feel will be fun to hang out with in a granite yard for a couple hours.

• janicemary
    Original Author
    15 years ago

paulines - Thanks for the advice. I've been looking at KountryKraft, Crystal, Woodmode (but I don't think I can afford them), and Omega/Dynasty. We're actually building a new home so I can only bring my plan to a designer at this point. I feel a bit uncomfortable asking someone to do a plan for me and then potentially not using them. Is this a common practice? Wouldn't they want to be paid for their service?

• caryscott
    15 years ago

Having a KD is a bit out of my budget but we met with a number of companies who all did consultations and gave us CAD renderings based on the measured drawing and appliance specs I provided. None would have been final designs just sort of a rough idea and something to base a quote on. Seems similar to your situation but I really don't know that end of the market, maybe it is really gauche. Only the company we were serious about came to do an in house measure but given that you are looking for a KD I can see why having them come and do a measure would be important. I wouldn't do 6 but at least a couple doesn't seem unfair.

I think seeing the work and talking to a recent client or clients is golden advice. Someone suggested we take this step with the installer at the Box store we are buying our cabs from. We went last night and it really put my mind at ease.

• growlery
    15 years ago

There are a few different kinds of kitchen designers.

VERY basically, you have the kind who work for cabinet shops and work with/represent the lines of cabinets sold by the shops.

Or you have independent kitchen designers, whom you pay, by the hour or the project. Independent designers may have a wide variety of services they offer and how they charge for those services, so you really need to understand what they're expecting to do for you, what you're paying for, and what your options are. This is not at all saying that's bad, it's just to say that, if you're trying to compare, the apples and the oranges and the bananas and the pineapples are all in the same bag, so just know which one you're pulling out.

It sounds like you're going to cabinet shops with their own designers. If you have any kind of house plans an idea of what you want, you can ask for a preliminary sketchy design and brain-picking session, and get a quote on the cabinet portion of the design you come up with. Just walk in and say "I'm looking for a quote on some cabinets, I brought my house plans," and they'll do what they do a dozen times a day.

You can go to several shops and do this. As many have noted, don't assume you can't afford something. My Woodmode quote came in the same as a slightly lower-quality line.

The independents -- again, depending on how they work -- they may have a free initial consult, at which time you can see their portfolio, chat with them, they can maybe look at your kitchen or plans and offer a few thoughts, and they tell you how they work and expect to get paid. Some might do a quick pencil sketch, some might do more. Some get paid by the hour, some by the project, some oversee construction (like the design/build firms) it gets complicated.

And as paulines said, compatibility is a consideration, as even just buying cabinets can drag on. How do they handle a tricky request? How do they explain things? Is the person called away every 2 minutes? Do they try to "upsell" everything, or do they really seem focused on finding what's really right for you? How do they treat their staff? Does the business seem well organized? If there was a problem, like a damaged cabinet, do you feel like you could talk to them and they would try to fix it?

Price is important, but it isn't everything.

Good luck!