Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
melissastar

footrest/flooring transition problem...need advice

melissastar
13 years ago

First let me say thanks to all of you who tirelessly respond to those of us who need advice, help or a shoulder to cry on.

It's amazing how much it helps to have a community of folks with similar concerns and interests.

Second...my current problem. The floors in my dining room are well worn hardwood, while my "new" kitchen is getting limestone tile flooring. The two will be mostly separated by a 6-foot peninsula on one side and a 28 inch wall on the other. I've accepted the need for some sort of transition strip to accommodate the difference in height (as the backer board and tile will add nearly 1" to the kitchen floor height) in the roughly 4 foot wide passageway between dining room and kitchen..

The big problem is what to do with the roughly 12 inch strip of floor that doesn't have the dining room hardwood on it but extends under the 15 inch deep breakfast bar on the dining room side of the peninsula. Unfortunately, it can't be easily matched or repaired....it's 100 year old oak 1/4 inch veneer with a border and laid parallel to the joists on top of a pine subfloor. I would LOVE new hardwood floors, but they are nowhere near in the budget this round...and other than this problem, the floors are in remarkably good shape.

The GC has suggested installing a sort of "step" there to serve as a footrest under the breakfast bar. That sounds like a reasonable solution to me , but I'm having a difficult time picturing it...in particular picturing the corner at the end of the peninsula.

Any brilliant minds out there with an idea of how it might look? How to make it look best? Or alternative solutions?

Any pictures of similar footrests?

Comments (7)