Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lucik77

please critique my kitchen layout

lucik77
13 years ago

Please let me know what you think about this layout. Thank you!!!

Comments (9)

• rhome410
    13 years ago

What is to the right of the pantry cabs? Is there a reason you left a really long expanse of cabinets/counters on the fridge wall, but have the sink and stove both in one corner?

I think there are some scale problems with the drawing, which will make it hard to interpret properly. I'd thought each square was 6", but then I noticed you have a notation at the top of 25" that is 5 squares, and a notation by the fridge that it's 36", but it's only using 4 squares. You'll get more input if the drawing is very clear and to scale. Best wishes.

• desertsteph
    13 years ago

how many in your family? kids? ages?

I did notice that on one side the cab/counter was 4 sqs deep and on the south 3 sqs deep - ?

are your pantries step into? why 25" deep?

• breezygirl
    13 years ago

It's really difficult to tell the scale. Is there a reason why the counters on the bottom of the page are shallower than the ones on the left?

The stove and sink are very close together, but yet you've got a huge open counter run to the left of the stove. Can the range move to the left?

There are several great layout members here (including Rhome), but you'll get more help if you include some of the info that Buehl talks about in her "Read Me If You're New to GW" thread.

• lucik77
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you - let me redraw and resend :)

I'll be back soon!

• lucik77
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hello everyone,

Here is an updated plan. Your thoughts and ideas are really appreciated!
    A few clarifying details: we are a family of 4 (2 little kids). The refrigerator is 36x36 so its huge and needs to be 'hidden' :) The wall with the sink and dishwasher is a peninsula. I tried to minimize it so there would be space left there to add a granite circular area at the end for an eat-in area. We also have two large pantries in a nearby area so I hope storage space is not going to be an issue. (the design did not show them so I manually squeezed in two boxes just to represent their location - they are 24"D X 30"W). The walkway between the fridge and the pantries is 4 feet - I just ran out of space on the drawing to represent it.

Some items I am debating right now are whether I should upgrade to have all my cabinets as drawers or pullouts or whether I should keep some as regular shelves. If I keep them as shelves, will I be able to get to the back - ever? Another upgrade is to switch to all plywood (vs. some "good quality" compressed material). How important is is to have plywood everywhere or just in cabinets that may potentially "touch" water such as sink and around dishwasher and fridge?
    Another idea I had was to use some of the pantry shelves to store my microwave, toaster, and other small appliances. Do you think its a good idea? How is it from a practical perspective (having to open doors to the pantry to heat anything in the microwave... plus any fire hazard issues?) If possible, I don't want to spend extra and buy a special microwave cabinet and a new microwave but if that's my only other choice... I guess I'll do it.
    Another question, how practical are 30'' wide pantry cabinets? Too wide? I was hoping to use two wide pantries rather than three skinnier ones since there is a big difference in price.

Thank you so much for your feedback!

• lyvia
    13 years ago

Much clearer!

Now here comes the "island love." If you like the island concept, you can put the sink and dishwasher against the dining room wall. Then open the area where the sink is to make a passageway, and extend the dishwasher into an island. You might want a prep sink on the island, if you can get it plumbed ($$). You could then put stools on the far side of the island for casual seating. So that's the island option. Or you could add an overhang behind the peninsula and put stools there.

With this kitchen, you are already facing the family for sink cleanup, and the island concept would turn you around. I kind of like it the way it is, but I don't have a smidge of the experience some people do. Your life, your kitchen, your choice.

So here's an unusual idea. In my kitchen the microwave needs a place of prominence - not just accessible on the floorplan, but a great height. You could extend your peninsula another 32 inches, but for that last 32 inches, raise the counter level six inches. Put the microwave under the raised counter, so that you pull hot food out and put it on top without so much bending. (I'm planning size for an advantium, you may have a smaller microwave, or you may want both a wall convection oven and microwave in there.)It gives you a nice raised area from which to serve chicken nuggets, pizza or those other nuke and serve meals, (some do tea/coffee from the microwave) where older kids can do it without interrupting the grande flambe of the main chef. Mine will have a trash can under it with an open access panel, just because my trash needs that same central location. Just an idea - I am predicting lots of casual meals snatched between soccer games and such.

• bmorepanic
    13 years ago

{{!gwi}}

Purple and red lines are the prep path. The other things you could consider are get a different refrigerator, switch to a cooktop with separate ovens.

People sometimes put appliances in pantries that can be used - but they either have a fair amount of clearance and the door open when operating or are on a shelf in a pantry room.

• lucik77
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you for your feedback - what a different view! I'm so glad this forum exists to get other people's perspectives!
    I just bought this refrigerator so exchanging it is unfortunately not an option at this time.
    I think there should be enough clearance for the doors to be opened when microwave is in use. We don't cook anything in the microwave - only reheat so its usage is usually under 2-3 min max. Of course as the kids get older, that may change...
    Any other feedback?

Thank you!!!

• lucik77
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Any other suggestions?

Thank you!

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz