Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
capegirl05

Storing things in drawers

Capegirl05
12 years ago

In planning this kitchen, I included 4 drawers that are about 15" wide and 15" high (I am guessing here...on the heigth. They are taller than a standard drawer you might put utensils in, etc) What do these drawers provide good storage for? Just thinking about moving my kitchen and where I might put what...they are near the stove...

Comments (13)

• Missy Benton
    12 years ago

I use deep drawers for plastic/sippy cups, towels and dish cloths, and tupperware. But, mine aren't by the stove.

• Stonemoore
    12 years ago

I have deep drawers on either side of the range for pots and pans. Love them!!

• lascatx
    12 years ago

I have drawers about that size on either side of my hutch. One is my bread drawer, one is my cereal drawer, one has snacks and things for lunches and the other is things we may use for breakfast or lunch making that done't fit into another category. Another narrower drawer in my kitchen has wraps and such -- one has lunch boxes, thermos and such. I had thought about putting my food storage containers in a drawer, but the installer switched my cabinets around and I decided to go a different direction for now, but that's another possibility.

Narrower drawers are also good for towels and pot holders. You might measure your oils and vinegars -- that could be a good space for them. I have larger deep drawers to one side (24") and they have my flour, sugar and baking goods. You might put your rice, pasta and beans in jars and use one of the drawers for them.

That size will be limited to small to medium pots (you need to figure out the interior size of the drawer box -- it can be much smaller if you have a framed cabinet). Some of you smaller appliances might fit in there -- food processor, blender, hand mixer or stick blender. Try to think of the things that you will use at the stove and fit some of those things into them. The handier things are, the more you are going to love it.

• brianadarnell
    12 years ago

I use my 18" wide drawers for things like my 10 piece mixing bowl set, pyrex measuring bowls, etc etc. I put my salad spinner in another drawer of the same size. I don't know the height of these drawers, but these are both 3 drawer stacks- a shallow drawer on top and two deep below it. Medium pots would also work as would a stack of pyrex or casserole dishes. You could also store tupperware, etc. The possibilities are endless!

• chibimimi
    12 years ago

Aren't you doing this backwards? You should plan your kitchen according to how you use it, not use it according to how it's planned. Think about what you want to have near the stove, then configure the cabinets to help you with that.

• dianalo
    12 years ago

I am not sure if you mean a 4 drawer stack or 4 drawer stacks.
    If you have 4 drawer stacks at 15" wide each, I'd look to combine some to make 2 30" drawer stacks instead. I love my wide drawers and our narrowest is 18" wide (silverware, zip locks bags, plastic utensils and insulated lunch bags, water bottles in bottom). I can't see having 4 drawer stacks that narrow as being efficient use of space or your budget (if that is what you mean).
    If it is one drawer stack with somehow deep drawers, then, never mind.....
    Chibimini is absolutely right, btw. Forget trying for symmetry and make the new kitchen functional foremost. You can then take the functional layout and use pretty materials.

• Buehl
    12 years ago

Are you dealing with existing cabinets? Are you talking about a single 4-drawer stack, four top drawers throughout the kitchen, or four 15" wide drawer stacks?

A single 4-drawer stack w/4 drawers that are 15" tall would make your cabinet more than 60" tall!

I have one 4-drawer stack that's 24" wide (all the rest are 3-drawer stacks - all drawers except the sink bases - love it!!!). I store: Drawer 1 (Top): Utensils
    Drawer 2: wax paper, plastic bags, plastic wrap
    Drawer 3: Extension cords, etc.
    Drawer 4 (Bottom): Bread

My drawers are not all the same height:
    Drawer 1 (Top) = 3-1/4"
    Drawer 2 = 4-3/8"
    Drawer 3 = 4-3/8"
    Drawer 4 (Bottom) = 6"

If you're still working up a layout and have not ordered/bought cabinets, consider switching to all drawers - I have found they are far more useful than regular cabinets or even cabinets with roll out tray shelves.

• Buehl
    12 years ago

Oops! I meant four top drawers throughout the kitchen! They sound like bottom drawers....

• Cloud Swift
    12 years ago

Assuming the usual 36" high counters with 4" toe kicks, There is about 29" available for drawers. If you have two deep drawers per drawer stack, they would be about 14" high (exterior height of the drawer front). Interior depth of the drawers would be 12-13" depending on details of the drawer construction. Is that what you have? If the cabinet is 15" wide, the interior of the drawers would be 13" or less (again depending on details of construction including the type of drawer glides, thickness of drawer and cabinet sides, and, if framed, frame size). That is kind of a narrow deep drawer.

It might hold cookie sheets and sheet pans on their sides depending on the size of yours (or it might be slightly too short. Vertical dividers running back to front might be nice for that. Skillets and griddles could also go in that kind of drawer.

Storage of supplies such as flour and sugar might work though there might be a couple of empty inches of depth for that (our boxes for that are under 10" high).

Our pot and pan drawers are about 10" deep but they are 36" wide too which gives more flexibility. I'd find 15" a bit deep for that - it implies a lot of stacking of them and needing to take the top things out to get to the ones on the bottom - especially since the drawer is narrow: with a wide drawer, I can tip the things higher in the stack to slip out the pie plate or baking dish I want instead of lifting out the top of the stack.

• gretela
    12 years ago

I have 2 stacks of 15 inch wide drawers beside each other in my island-maybe the one thing I would change if I were doing it again. Both stacks have utensils in top (shallow) drawer- which works fine. One of the stacks has 2 shallows below (dishtowels and foils/wraps) then deep bottom drawer (ziplocks,plastic containers). Other stack has 2 deep drawers- one is a built-in bread drawer and below, plastic storage containers. I find these drawers too narrow- e.g. I wish 'wrap' drawer were wide enough for wax paper, 2 kinds of foil, cling wrap, parchment paper and freezer paper, but it holds only 4 rolls. I'd like the bread drawer to hold several loaves, ziplock bags of granola and opened boxes of crackers, pasta or grains- but it's too small. And the deep drawer below is a squeeze for recycling quart yogurt containers, etc for storage. I wish I had put in a single 30 inch wide stack! I LOVE pull out drawers next to the range. I think 24 ' wide is MINIMUM for pots/pans, which I have left of range for 'special ' use cookware, collanders/ sieves, heavy enamelled ware that I don't use daily. To the immediate right of range (I'm R-handed) I have a 9 inch 'liter bottle' pull-out (2 deep narrow shelves) which hold oils and vinegars which are used frequently for saute and sauces/dressings). Could also house salt , bread crumbs but its full! Right of that a 30 inch wide stack of 3 drawers: top for cooking utensils and pot holders, then 2 deep drawers for pots and pans in regular use. EASY access/ best invention ever) I agree with planning for functionality: We entertain a lot and when visitors (or DH) ask: 'where do you keep the_____?' I reply, 'where would you want it to be?' 9 out 10 times, they open a drawer or cab, and there it is!

• zelmar
    12 years ago

We have 4 similar drawers (4 narrow deep drawers with 3 shallower drawers above). We keep pyrex containers in 2 of them (one for rectangular and one for round), lunch box containers in another, and the 4th is used for bread and crackers and instant oatmeal. The drawers across the top store lids for the storage containers below. The pyrex is used for food storage and for oven and microwave so it's convenient to have them in the cooking area.

We have another similar drawer near our sink in which I keep a variety of rags--this drawer gets used a lot since we try to use paper towels as little as possible. There is nothing like a big raggy towel when there is a large spill or when the dog comes in wet and shakes mud all over the cabinets. I could see using a deep drawer for handtowels, dishcloths, and pot holders.

One of our deep pantry drawers stores boxed and bagged pasta. Another deep drawer holds snack bags. We have a deep drawer that holds "extras"--boxes of AL foil, coffee filters, extra spices, and bulky utensils I don't use often but want in my cooking area (potato mashers and ricers, egg beaters, lemon squeezers.) A narrow deep drawer would be great for our small electric appliances such as the hand blender and portable mixer.

• Capegirl05
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Wow! Thanks for all of the ideas! I apologize for not giving you all a more accurate description/specs for the drawers in question...

First off...the kitchen is almost done so we are not in the planning phases, although re-reading my original post, I can see how that was not explained and I am so sorry...

To add to the confusion, I mis-spoke when I said a row of 4 drawers when I only have 3...again sorry.

To the right of my sink, I do have a row of 4 drawers that are 15"wide and are very functional for towels/dish cloths, foil/wrap/baggies and what not.

But, what I have to the left of the stove top is a row of three NARROW (9" worth of interior drawer space)...the top one is standard height (4" interior height maybe) and the bottom 2 are taller at 8" interior height/useable space. Our cabinets are not inset nor full-frame.

They aren't tall enough for my oils/vinegars but I could put plastic measuring cups/pyrex measuring cups in one and ??? in the other.

Thank you all again for the ideas! Today, I am putting in the shelf liner for ALL the cabinets in kitchen, laundryroom, mudroom....
    capegirl

• davidro1
    12 years ago

15" wide is not much. To anyone planning their kitchen: have huge drawers.