Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
scrappy25

Questions about possible 30 inch mantle style hood

scrappy25
10 years ago

I have been reading the thread about creating a simple wood hood with interest, love the simple hood that the OP posted (almost halfway down that long thread)..

Some questions
1) Is a 30 inch wood mantle hood with a stainless liner allowed above a 30 inch range? I have read that wood is not allowed within a certain distance of the cooktop, not sure if this falls into that category since the edges are wood. Not sure that this layout will allow for a 36 inch hood.
2) What is the recommended depth for such a hood, would it be 24" and is there a insert less that 30 inches wide that is so deep?
3) if 24" deep what would be the recommended height for not banging heads?

thanks!

Comments (15)

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    10 years ago

A simpler rendition of a mantle hood can work, but I agree it's preferable to go a bit wider than the range. Still, I think this is pretty darned nice:

• scrappy25
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Writersblock,, that is exactly the look I am thinking of! Thank you! Would love to see any pictures of this style from fellow gardenwebbers and comments on depth and height, and function. Also, is that a diy retrofit and could you post or send the link? thanks so much.

Greendesigns, you are a design guru and I completely see your point but the kitchen is small and I am looking for one focal point. Will try hard to get in a bigger hood, thank you for your advice!

• romy718
    10 years ago

This is an inspiration picture another GWer posted for her 30" range.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    10 years ago

It's not my kitchen, scrappy. I wish it were, but here's the link. It's all DIY and if you do scroll down and click the kitchen tag in the list of labels on the right side of the page she has pretty detailed info about everything they did.

Here is a link that might be useful: flea market trixie's kitchen reveal

• User
    10 years ago

I do think you can do something size and scale appropriate over a 30" range, depending on your ceiling height and budget. It just takes careful design consideration. And a healthy budget. It will take up at least 36" of space, or more to do properly though. In a small kitchen, where every bit of space is precious, that's why it's most often not done. It gobbles up space to do correctly, and doesn't play well with a low ceiling. Many small kitchens choose to do a metal chimney hood instead as a focal point.

Most building codes will require that you maintain a full 30" clearance over the cooking surface for any combustible material, for fire safety. Wood is definitely combustible! For a 30" range, you would need at least a 36" wide x 27" deep hood over it, in order to be safe and comply with the code if portions of it are to be lower than that 30". Otherwise, you risk a fire.

The first pic that writersblock posted, looks like it skirts legality. It's hard to tell from the angle that the pic was taken, but it looks like the hood is 30", not 36". It's also not deep enough over the cooking surface, as the sides come down to around 24" . That would be fine if the hood is actually 36" though. So it might, or might not work.

The second hood, well count the (kinda blurry) 3x6 subway tile here for it's measurement. (I count 7 1/2 across and 11 up) It's at least 42" W and might be 48" W and it's wood is at least 33" from the cooking surface. Over a 36" cooking surface. It's more in proportion to the mantle look, and it complies with the fire codes. And it's height and width are proportionate for the 36" surface below, and not too tall and overpowering with the tall ceiling. If the hood were taller or narrower proportionately, it wouldn't work as well visually.

The other gorilla in the room besides safety and proportion is cost. It's a MUCH more expensive choice than a standard metal chimney hood, and certainly more than an under cabinet hood. By the time you add up the insert, the electrical connection by the electrician, and the cabinet install, the hood below is in the range of a $4500 choice. Paint would have added 20%, and a higher CFM blower to really handle a pro BTU range, would have added another 1K. That's in a medium priced door in a medium grade cabinet line. Not a high end choice at all.

• kompy
    10 years ago

Here's another simple wood hood design that I've always admired! Simple AND elegant....If I hadn't found such an amazing deal on my 54" stainless hood by Independence Hoods (now out of biz :-(, I would have certainly considered this one! If you are order custom cabinets, many will allow you to purchase this unfinished and they will finish to match FOR YOU! If you're doing non-custom, you could try to stain and paint to match yourself....OR paint or stain in a complementing finish....two tone.

Kompy

Here is a link that might be useful: Simple Wood Hood

• scrappy25
    Original Author
    10 years ago

LWO, that is REALLY helpful, thanks! Great analysis. Take home message is at least a 36" hood over a 30" range, IF I want to invest $$.

Romy, that is the hood I was referring to in my first post but didn't know how to link it! thanks.

Kompy, I have seen that website and LOVE that hood you linked to, but it says "to the trade only" so there does not seem to be a way of pricing it or ordering it. I have seen similar (slightly more ornate, so not as nice) Fujioh wood hoods for about $1200 empty and unfinished, and about $4000 with the innards installed from Fujioh. Do you or anyone else know if there is a website or company that this Stanisci Q hood can be ordered through?

writersblock, thanks for the link! She is very creative. I have posted on her site to ask for directions since she did not give any details other than to say that it cost her $260 in materials. She must have enclosed an existing fan to come in that cheaply.However, her post is 3 years old, so I am not sure she will see my question.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    10 years ago

>She must have enclosed an existing fan to come in that cheaply.

No, you can get hood inserts that cheaply, but I'm pretty sure hers is only 30". Here, for example, or Lowes has them, too. Our local store has a cutaway display showing how it goes into the hood.

Here is a link that might be useful: wood hoods and inserts

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    10 years ago

Although it's not ideal from a venting standpoint, you can get a 36" liner that lets you install a 30" hood insert in a 36" box. They're about $70 at the big box stores.

• kompy
    10 years ago

I would think ANY kitchen dealership can order this for you. They might have to put down a deposit or pay in full prior to shipping if they don't have an account. I have an account with them but as a non-displaying dealer. Try asking your KD.....or if you are getting custom cabinets....ask the manufacturer if they can get it for you. Companies like P&F will outsource things like this ALL the time.

KOMPY

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

We went with the same size hood and cooktop...36" each... but that's because we have induction so far less fumes than with a gas cooktop. If we had gas, we would've gone larger with the fume hood.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    10 years ago

I love your fall decor, AnnieDeighnaugh.

• scrappy25
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Writersblock, thanks for posting those links. Incredibly cheap prices, the inserts I was looking at were running $600-$1000. Warrants a closer look but the wood covers they have are not what I like.

Kompy, thanks for the info. Not at the stage of a KD yet but good to know that many work with this company.

Annie, that is a wonderfully warm and inviting kitchen and the mantle is gorgeous, thank you for posting! I am planning induction also.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    10 years ago

Well, Lowes currently has a Broan insert for around $280 + about $40 for the liner, but I would wager that the ones you've been looking at will give you much better performance (more power, less noise) than either the Broan or the Hofco models. It's just a question of how much you can afford.