Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kitchenkrazed09

THIRD backsplash order - My crackle tiles are cracked!

kitchenkrazed09
12 years ago

Alright. Here's the story. The first order (Ceramiche Grazia Essenze white crackle tiles) came in darker and much creamier yellow than the samples. My cabinets are crisp white. They probably would have been fine, I debated back and forth about whether to return them, but was so relieved when I did because the color was really bothering me.

Second order, Walker Zanger Soho white crackle tiles. Perfect choice, reinforced my decision to return the Essenze tiles. Beautiful, bright white. LOVED them. The bullnose pieces, however, were a noticeably different shade than the field tiles (photo below). They tried to match field tiles to bullnose pieces from other orders that came in and after three weeks, they told me nothing matched.

Order number 3: Adex Hampton, my runner up. Picked them up today. About 30 tiles are cracked and broken. I may have enough to install, but the bullnose pieces are also a different shade than the field tiles (although not as bad as the Walker Zanger tiles).

Not sure what to do now. I'm so tired of backsplash shopping and waiting for this kitchen to be finished. Anyone else have trouble with the bullnose matching the field tiles?

Walker Zanger bullnose and field tiles (please disregard wallpaper in adjoining hallway, that is a future project):

Cracked Adex Tiles:

Comments (12)

• allison0704
    12 years ago

That's a big difference. What's with WZ not wanting to match or send you an order that does?

If you decide to look more, check out Status Ceramics (Oregon). It's not super expensive and made to order, so it all matches.

Here is a link that might be useful: Status Ceramics

• bestyears
    12 years ago

I used Emser Cape Cod crackled subway tiles, and had very little breakage.

• kitchenkrazed09
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Allison0704 - I even called Walker Zanger directly to ask them if there was anything they could do and they referred me back to the tile store. The store had contacted the distributor and sales rep, but they said nothing could be done. Thanks so much for the info about Status Ceramics. I'll check them out.

Bestyears - I've seen photos of the Emser Cape Cod, it's a beautiful tile. I'm pretty sure mine broke because one of the boxes was dropped. I didn't notice some damage to the corner of the box when I picked it up and that's the box that had all the broken tiles. The other box was fine. I called the tile dealer yesterday, they said I need to speak with another woman on Monday to take care of it. Just not sure about the mismatched bullnose tile. I suppose I could order quarter round (if it doesn't match, maybe it won't be noticeable because it's a thinner tile), but I like the look of the bullnose better.

• kitchenkrazed09
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Has anyone used a quarter round trim piece to end their backsplash? Do you have photos to share? (I wonder if I should start a new thread with question.)

• francoise47
    12 years ago

Hi Kitchencrazed,

Our contractor finished the edge of our backslash tile with a simple bead of grout, slightly rounded.
    Perhaps this isn't a look you like.
    But it is an option to consider.
    We used TEC pearl grout in a half sanded/half non-sanded mixture because of the wide grout lines required with our WZ backsplash tile.

Here are a few pictures of our new backsplash:

{{gwi:1560223}}

• Stonemoore
    12 years ago

I like how Francoise47's backsplash is finished. That is what we plan to do here as well. If I ever find a backsplash tile that works for me....

• allison0704
    12 years ago

Status Ceramics has tiles with one or two edges finished, so my tiles are all the same size but the ones on the outside and corners are finished/rounded:

Here is a link that might be useful: 4th picture down

• kitchenkrazed09
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Francoise47, thanks for the suggestion and the photos. I didn't realize that was an option. I'll have to consider it. I think I missed your finished kitchen post? Your cabinets and backsplash are beautiful. Do you have a link to your reveal?

Stonemoore - I know what you mean. It took me a long time to find the three that I ordered. ;)

Allison0704 - Do you remember how long your tile order took to come in? Was it longer than usual since they are made to order? Thanks for posting the photos. I've seen your lovely kitchen before. So warm and inviting.

• chiefneil
    12 years ago

My backsplash is finished with a grouted edge like francoise's. I can take a couple of photos if you'd like to see how it looks - my backsplash is tumbled marble on the diagonal.

• allison0704
    12 years ago

Thank you. I don't remember exactly, but it wasn't all that long - in the scope of things.

Their website says 2-4 weeks unless it's a large order then 4-6. Backsplash would be 2-4.

Here is a link that might be useful: Faq page

• francoise47
    12 years ago

Dear Kitchenkrazed, I'm glad you like my backsplash.

No big reveal for my kitchen yet -- just little dribbles here and there.
    Once the banquette cushions arrive (perhaps tomorrow)
    I'll do a full reveal as a way of thanking all the GW community
    for support through the process of the reno.

I'm glad that you are moving forward
    with ideas for solving your backsplash problem.

• kitchenkrazed09
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Chefneil - Thank you, I would appreciate that.

Allison0704 - Thanks so much for looking up that info for me!

Francoise47 - I'll be looking out for your finished kitchen thread! I clicked on one of the photos you posted and was able to see kitchen photos from your album. Your kitchen is beautiful. I can't believe I haven't seen it before. I love the island countertop. Your island looks similar to mine (I have cabinets on one side and a table section on the other), but with granite. I especially like the photo of how your kitchen makes you feel. :)